Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Scotty Kelmer Don’t comment on his you tube pages!

Scotty Kelmer Don’t comment on his you tube pages!

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Scotty Kelmer Don’t comment on his you tube pages!

• Creator
    Topic
    JaneJane
    Participant

I was just barred from making comments on you tube for pointing out the obvious to Scotty Kilmer. Mercedes Benz cars are cool. You can fix them yourself. More that adding thinners to the gas tank cannot fix a defective catalytic converter. After watching his video I just couldn’t stop laughing.

see my response below…

Hua hahahahahaha lol hehehehe I fix my own Mercedes…. cost me next to nothing. Buy a Toyota lol… crap car lol….(more laughing) let me think Toyota or Mercedes Mmmm Toyota really uncool car, Mercedes SLR super cool. Result= RU a ‘Cheap skate’ then buy a Toyota! lol… Love the video it’s the best laugh I have had all day.
      Keep up the good work. I especially liked the one about adding thinners to the tank to sort a bad catalytic converter… It’s So-o funny doesn’t work though, why? carbon doesn’t dissolve in thinners.

Scotty Kilmer
      4 hours ago
      ah, but carbon burns off with the reaction with burning thinner, the thinner itself of course never reaches the cat, just the burning result. I’ve seen hundreds of them fixed this way, read some of the comments on that video of people who it worked for. You know nothing about cars, ride away in your Mercedes living in a fantasy land. But please stop posting bad advice here, Or, yes, I will ban you forever on my kingdom here. 

Jane Calder
      2 hours ago

You know I don’t think you like to be criticized. Hey what do I know?
      Thinners? Does Lacquer Thinner Clean Catalytic Converters? -EricTheCarGuy (Which is really cool)

Result banned

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

The video I made was never meant to be a slam against Scotty Killmer. I was only trying out the theory for myself. The truth is, I should have used more lacquer thinner and I MIGHT have had a different result. We’ll never know because the car is gone now. I do however believe that the soap and water method might work. That’s something I’d like to try at some point.

Sorry to hear you got banned.

JaneJane
        Participant

I never meant to offend Scotty Kilmer either. Some of his stuff is great… I think the danger is when we make value judgements on the makes of car. Everyone has a different point of view, different cars we love. At it’s most basic a car is a box on a set of wheels with an engine. However, build quality is important. Just as Eric was saying, if a car is cheep and has most of the features of the more expensive makes. Then they had to make other savings along the way. Thinner metal, cheep plastics instead of stainless steel, lack of safety testing etc.

From a purely technical focus. I suspect the stainless steel DeLorian from my point of view is the best mass produced metal car body. The best engine is probably the W16 Bugatti Vayron’s engine lots of power in a relatively small space. Though not that easy to obtain. (mostly because of cost)

I’m sure everyone has an opinion about this…
          Eric’s Vermont is a good example it looks great and makes a car into something you can feel attached to. Though needs a better engine/ gearbox/ brakes/ rust proofing.
          What do you think?

BillBill
          Participant

You’re just a BAD lass.. 😛

I use to really enjoy Scotty’s earlier videos but his latest ones have me thinking “what the f$%#?” His videos have been very negative to those who don’t have the same taste in vehicles as him and decides to crap on how crap all these vehicles are. Just ignore it and let it go.

WayneWayne
            Participant

Eh. I get where he’s coming from, not that he has to be condescending about it. Overall European cars are far more expensive and often times more troublesome to work on then domestic and Japanese imports here in the states from what little I’ve seen/heard. Not all makes/models, but overall. I think he’s trying to give purchasing advice to those who want overall reliability and least maintenance cost in mind, bias does come into play in this recommendation.

Most are usually pretty quick with the bans on youtube comments due to trolling, tone is hard to convey in text as well, so it may have seemed more antagonistic than you wanted.

I got a ban on some guy’s section commenting on an electric conversion vehicle. He just went on and on about green this, better that, and simply didn’t want to address the partial negatives such as how the batteries are made, byproducts, etc. I still think they’re way better, energy conversion, instant torque, less maintenance items/less to go wrong overall. It just bothered me he didn’t want to touch upon anything that could give orange peel to his perfectly painted vision. He huffed a brief “go to hell” response, and accused me of being in league with the oil companies, and banned me from commenting there. At first I was perplexed, then offended, then I just chuckled at the ludicrousness. The other realization is that this wasn’t some one off project, he created a business doing this, money, and views were at stake, so I keep that bias in mind as well when viewing/commenting anymore.

JaneJane
              Participant

Scotty is at it again… and lays down a challenge.

Scotty Kilmer

Eric is about as scientific as you. He tried the wrong dilution, waay too weak, and did it on one car. Some scientific test. I’ve done it on hundreds and if often works. Basically, you and eric both are pissin in the wind.

I’m just going to ignore him.
                Jane

WayneWayne
                Participant

Probably the best bet, he does rather relish in adverting that he’s been working on vehicles since the age of 14, and he’s “award winning”. So I’m going to go out on a limb and guess there’s possibly some ego involved (along with that pesky money/views thing) in any contradiction to what he believes works. It may still, but if he was truly interested in verifying it I would assume he’d just lay down that he’d like to see it tested properly. I still would.

JaneJane
                  Participant

Why I laughed
                    SLR versus Toyota Celica

vgs8606vgs8606
                    Participant

ScottyKilmer:-

– His Q-bond video made me purchase that glue and I was absolutely amazed at the results. It really fixes the plastic at stress joint where anything else fails. I fixed my Cuisinart food processor and a video tripod using q-bond. I give all the credit to Scotty for that.
                      – His cat converter “dunk in the detergent” video was validated here on the EricTheCarGuy forum. A guy fixed his Civic’s recurring P0420 code.
                      – I tried he ATP-205 re-sealer on my lawnmower but it kept on leaking and spewing oil, so that did NOT work for me.
                      – I might be trying his “fixing sticking power steering” video where he recommends trying Seafoam TransTune to clean the power steering system. My 2000 Maxima (200K miles and rust to go with) suddenly started exhibiting “hard to steer on right in the morning” symptoms and there are no fluid leaks. This is leading towards an internal problem in the rack. Given the overall condition of the vehicle there is no way rack replacement repair is on the table ($$$$$) Besides, this is not a pattern failure on this particular model, so I am even more reluctant to swap the rack. I might go “Scotty” on this car. Wish me luck guys!!

WayneWayne
                      Participant

[quote=”vgs8606″ post=91137]
                        – I might be trying his “fixing sticking power steering” video where he recommends trying Seafoam TransTune to clean the power steering system. My 2000 Maxima (200K miles and rust to go with) suddenly started exhibiting “hard to steer on right in the morning” symptoms and there are no fluid leaks. This is leading towards an internal problem in the rack. Given the overall condition of the vehicle there is no way rack replacement repair is on the table ($$$$$) Besides, this is not a pattern failure on this particular model, so I am even more reluctant to swap the rack. I might go “Scotty” on this car. Wish me luck guys!![/quote]

I think if you truly flush it out with it, you may set the clock back a ways. He does have loads of experience over the years, which shouldn’t be ignored, and I still like the vids he does for the most part (although more details would make for nicer viewing to me personally). I got a can of transtune sitting waiting for the GF’s power-steering pump myself, as it randomly squeals, in the hopes it will delay a replacement on a clunker that likely isn’t worth the replacement part cost (old neon), even reman’d.

Good luck.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                        Participant

I watch Scotty and enjoy his stuff. Some of it is good advice and some of it is rubbish, an interesting mixture. I guess I am lucky because I know which is which. Be careful if you don’t.

JaneJane
                          Participant

P0420
                            Scotty Kilmer’s advice to add paint thinners to the tank!
                            I know if i were to add a fuel to my tank that burns so hot as to melt the residue off the catalytic converter then it would also melt the surface of engine parts… LOL Scotty

Though the possibility of using a chemical agent on a disconnected catalytic converter might work provided there was no physical or mechanical damage to the palladium platinum rhodium core. Chemically a hot bath over 6 hours in citric acid would in theory remove contaminates. If the unit smells like rotten eggs, then it is contaminated with hydrogen-sulfide. You may also smell ammonia mostly from diesel engines. Both these chemicals come from burning fuels containing these as additives. Another substance that could be present which would lower the catalytic converter’s efficiency (P0420) is silicone from a coolant leak into the exhaust system, such as a cracked head etc.
                            Hope you find this useful.
                            Jane

dandan

Eric had no intensions of slamming Scotty, but i do agree some of his stuff is wack, i really don’t pay much attention too his videos anymore, but if he trash talks Eric i guess he should be prepaired for trash talk himself.

MikeMike
                              Participant

Without knowing either person personally, I’ve been able to watch virtually all the episodes from both channel hosts and honestly, there is a reason I’m on Ericthecarguy.com and not the other site, and it has to do with presentation and respect.

While both gentlemen produce auto info advice, I frankly like the explanations Eric gives, the “well, that didn’t work!” moments, and just the way the material is presented here. Kilmer’s show always seemed more like a quick overview, which is fine, but for me it really comes down to which guy would I rather sit around and BS with on a Saturday afternoon over a BBQ and a few cold drinks while working on a project car?

I do find the advice decent on both channels, but I just prefer one style more than the other.

Ian WilliamsIan Williams
                                Participant

[quote=”OutofGas” post=98818]Without knowing either person personally, I’ve been able to watch virtually all the episodes from both channel hosts and honestly, there is a reason I’m on Ericthecarguy.com and not the other site, and it has to do with presentation and respect.

While both gentlemen produce auto info advice, I frankly like the explanations Eric gives, the “well, that didn’t work!” moments, and just the way the material is presented here. Kilmer’s show always seemed more like a quick overview, which is fine, but for me it really comes down to which guy would I rather sit around and BS with on a Saturday afternoon over a BBQ and a few cold drinks while working on a project car?

I do find the advice decent on both channels, but I just prefer one style more than the other.[/quote]

I once was a subscriber to Scott’s channel , but I got to tell you I found his manner a little grating , where as Eric sounds like my own mechanic , he will explain exactly what he is doing or has done and will show you what the problem is if any . Scotty’s videos are way to condensed and I think poorly explained

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Loading…