Menu

Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?

• Creator
    Topic
    pcmdjasonpcmdjason
    Participant

I watch his videos from time to time but I wonder if he’s really doing them because he likes making videos or because he’s taking money to sell a product?

He likes to do a lot of local news stuff and he seems to have mostly one sentence fix-its for any kind of question.

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 124 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Drunk32Drunk32
      Participant

I like his videos sometimes they aren’t the best but like Eric said if you have ever edited a video it can take a really long time so I can understand it. I think his videos can be helpful and I think when I comes to warning and things like that he is probably just set in his ways. A lot of mechanics that I talk to that have been doing it a while often tell me not to worry about things based off there own experience. I personally found Eric The Car Guy because of Scotty Killmer. His videos are good. I would say the biggest difference in Scotty’s and Eric’s videos are that Eric’s videos go a lot more indepth than Scotty’s videos do. The videos are for different skilled mechanics. When I first started working on cars I found that Scotty’s was the best because they were simple and easy to understand, But with the more work that I am doing I find that Eric’s are better because they go in to better detail.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
        Participant

I watch his video’s too just cause they are fun to watch.
          I don’t agree with some of the things he does, but if it works for him that’s cool.

Bjorn20Bjorn20
          Participant

He annoys me. He seems like a really old school mechanic and doesn’t like anything to do with computers, not that there is anything wrong with it, but if you don’t want to take the time to learn them, then you shouldn’t be touching them. His little smile that he does after talking like he is the best mechanic in the world makes me want to punch him.

I also don’t know if anyone noticed that airborne logo on the bike he drives around in the first 30 seconds of the earlier videos, makes me wonder if he was ever in the army.

Drunk32Drunk32
            Participant

He wasn’t in the Army but his son is. He flys Helicopters so I bet that’s why he has it.

SpawnedXSpawnedX
              Participant

Quoted From TheArete:

I agree with you SpawnedX to a point. Scotty just has a different viewer in mind and a different understanding of what an automotive video should be… clear, crisp and concise. Straight to the point and very short, and I think we as a viewer (whether a current Tech, a former Tech, A DIYER, a shadetree mechanic, or general viewer) all have our OWN thoughts on what to do and not to do. Hell I’m a carpenter and I have tons of insight on ways to properly install a jam or things not to do that many of you outside the field might not know or even agree with. We all grew up and learned different ways and we each think “OUR” way is the appropriate and best way. C’est la Vie.

I will however disagree with your point about MOTORZ. If someone asked me where to get a specific tool or brand the answer would UNDOUBTEDLY change depending on the tool. A good wet-vac… try a Ridgid. A decent Torque wrench… Snap-On… an air Impact Wrench… Ingersoll-Rand. The best electric impact driver… Makita or Hitachi. And you yourself probably have your brands that you would recommend, many of you are big supporters of Dewalt or Mac or Matco. My point is, neither of us would recommend a single brand to cover everything.

Motorz does… because SEARS are the sponsors. That’s fine and dandy (everyone’s gotta pay the bill for a show/ video and even Eric has BBB), however in this particular situation… the guy was asking for cheap tools (not a cheap brand) but where he could find quality tools on the cheap.
                Any number of answers would be reasonable such as… Craigslist, Ebay, Amazon, buying old estate sales, yardsales, going to a retired Mech… anything.
                Instead, on EVERY SHOW, at every opportunity we have to hear the Sears Blue Tool pitch. That’s over advertising in my opinion when you have to have several SEARS ads during the show, the stickers everywhere, every tool on the show a SEARS brand, SEARS listed as the sponsor and when asked for advice told “Go to SEARS.” We’ll agree to disagree… but to me personally… that’s overkill.

Sure my recommendation would change per tool, but if someone asked me a vague “cheap tools” question, then I am going to default to a mechanic’s kit at Craftsman, 300.00 gets you something decent, the same starter kit from Snap On is $2,000 to $2.500.00, $300.00 is the very definition of cheap to me when you look at it like that.

I mean, what was the person expecting? Sure they could have told you to go look for guys selling their used tools, but there is no guarantee anyone is at the moment. $300.00 gets you a whole tool kit and box with a lifetime warranty and Craftsman is the very bottom of the bin brand that you will ever see a mechanic offer.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 … ockType=G4

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                Participant

I agree with all the points shared above except for this –

book smarts is all but worthless in mechanics

You have to understand the basic principles and the fundamentals of certain systems to be successful in diagnosis. If you dont understand how a system works, it will be harder to diagnose.

Plus with all the new modern technology, there is no way of being able to self teach everything.

However, i applaud this quote –

The best technicians I have ever met and worked with went to a local vocational school where you were given a tool box and a book and told to bring in cars yourself to work on. I used the opportunity in my school to not only make a few extra bucks and save my friends and family a few extra bucks, but to see what the real world is like

Hands on experience is one of the better ways to learn, however, you need to ‘know’ your ‘stuff’ so being book smart and having the hands on experience both go hand in hand.

SpawnedXSpawnedX
                  Participant

Understood. Let me clarify that quote.

Knowing just theory learned from books is all but useless. Many of these top dollar schools teach you from a book in a classroom for a majority of your stay there, where as some of these local schools, including the one I went to, have you out in the shop more than in the classroom. It’s one thing to tell you how the starter is a giant electromagnetic motor controlled by a solenoid and another to show you how to actually diagnose a no start condition and actually sneak that starter out. A book will never show you that it is easier to take a swivel head ratcheting wrench with a ratcheting insert and a socket to attack that pesky bolt over a regular ratchet and socket.

SpawnedXSpawnedX
                    Participant

I love Eric’s videos, they are great, and I watch Briansmobile1, also great and for DSM specific videos I watch Jafromobile. All excellent videos and channels. I have watched a few of Scotty’s things and I think people here are being very harsh on him and I think it is because they aren’t looking at things like a technician does, and that’s okay, but at the end of a day you have to yield to the experience of the tecnician.

For instance, a mention about tools in an earlier post, no mechanic is ever going to recommend anything cheaper than Craftsman. No offense to anyone, but if your entire tool kit exists of Harbor Freigh specials, than you have no idea the real difference quality tools can make. Craftsman makes some good stuff, but even then when you step up from Craftsman to Snap On or MAC or Cornwell, etc., you quickly understand why mechanics are the way they are about tools. If I was asked the same question, with no financial support from Sears, you would get the same answer as that, head to your local Sears or go to Sears.com.

And the comments on Scotty’s clutch video, with Scotty making it look simple, honestly, a clutch job is simple 99.9% of the time, just time consuming. Once you do one successfully, you are almost at a loss for why people think it is so hard.

You guys need to go easier on them and realize just how much effort Eric puts into his videos based on this. I say it all the time, book smarts is all but worthless in mechanics, it is about applied skills and knowledge. It’s why I don’t buy into UTI and WyoTech’s lines. The best technicians I have ever met and worked with went to a local vocational school where you were given a tool box and a book and told to bring in cars yourself to work on. I used the opportunity in my school to not only make a few extra bucks and save my friends and family a few extra bucks, but to see what the real world is like. Those schools which have 5-7 shop cars stored inside all the time, never seeing the elements, used to test skills over and over again, will never prepare you for real world challenges. My point in all this, is not one video can prepare you for that bolt head that snaps off and now requires your outside the box thinking to repair.

TheAreteTheArete
                      Participant

I agree with you SpawnedX to a point. Scotty just has a different viewer in mind and a different understanding of what an automotive video should be… clear, crisp and concise. Straight to the point and very short, and I think we as a viewer (whether a current Tech, a former Tech, A DIYER, a shadetree mechanic, or general viewer) all have our OWN thoughts on what to do and not to do. Hell I’m a carpenter and I have tons of insight on ways to properly install a jam or things not to do that many of you outside the field might not know or even agree with. We all grew up and learned different ways and we each think “OUR” way is the appropriate and best way. C’est la Vie.

I will however disagree with your point about MOTORZ. If someone asked me where to get a specific tool or brand the answer would UNDOUBTEDLY change depending on the tool. A good wet-vac… try a Ridgid. A decent Torque wrench… Snap-On… an air Impact Wrench… Ingersoll-Rand. The best electric impact driver… Makita or Hitachi. And you yourself probably have your brands that you would recommend, many of you are big supporters of Dewalt or Mac or Matco. My point is, neither of us would recommend a single brand to cover everything.

Motorz does… because SEARS are the sponsors. That’s fine and dandy (everyone’s gotta pay the bill for a show/ video and even Eric has BBB), however in this particular situation… the guy was asking for cheap tools (not a cheap brand) but where he could find quality tools on the cheap.
                        Any number of answers would be reasonable such as… Craigslist, Ebay, Amazon, buying old estate sales, yardsales, going to a retired Mech… anything.
                        Instead, on EVERY SHOW, at every opportunity we have to hear the Sears Blue Tool pitch. That’s over advertising in my opinion when you have to have several SEARS ads during the show, the stickers everywhere, every tool on the show a SEARS brand, SEARS listed as the sponsor and when asked for advice told “Go to SEARS.” We’ll agree to disagree… but to me personally… that’s overkill.

Rick Crandallcrandall
                        Participant

I think Scotty is a bit irritating. He may know his stuff, but the videos don’t show it. He tries to be funny at times, but it just doesn’t work.

I think one reason we are fans of this site is because Eric has lots of content and he doesn’t try to rush the video. Plus, the dry sense of humor is always entertaining.

TheAreteTheArete
                          Participant

as I said… we will agree to disagree. I can go to Craigslist right now and find quite a few used snap-on tools, or hundreds on Ebay but all this is besides the point… My point WAS with that particular example that if we are going to talk about something annoying on a car/truck show then we should be looking at MOTORZ and the ridiculous amount of overadvertising.

JonathanJonathan
                            Participant

I’ve subscribed to both Scotty and Eric. Scotty seems a little more old fasion, and ‘back yardish’ I guess. For the most part I like Eric’s better, they seem more, profesional I guess. But there were a few that I liked Scotty’s view on better. His meathod seemed abit simpler, for example on how to find a vacume leak. Buying a cigar is going to be alot cheaper then a smoke machine. They seem to be two sides to the same coin. Though I will admit his cat converter repair with, whatever that stuff was he said to put in the gas tank was a little bit facepalming. I remember Eric did a video about that too. I also remember that Scotty didn’t say it would ALWAYS fix it. They seem to be just too differnt flavors and prospectives on the same thing. I enjoy watching both, and both provide good information.

JonathanJonathan
                              Participant

I’ve subscribed to both Scotty and Eric. Scotty seems a little more old fasion, and ‘back yardish’ I guess. For the most part I like Eric’s better, they seem more, profesional I guess. But there were a few that I liked Scotty’s view on better. His meathod seemed abit simpler, for example on how to find a vacume leak. Buying a cigar is going to be alot cheaper then a smoke machine. They seem to be two sides to the same coin. Though I will admit his cat converter repair with, whatever that stuff was he said to put in the gas tank was a little bit facepalming. I remember Eric did a video about that too. I also remember that Scotty didn’t say it would ALWAYS fix it. They seem to be just too differnt flavors and prospectives on the same thing. I enjoy watching both, and both provide good information.

CameronCameron
                                Participant

I would have to agree with Crandall’s post above.

I have seen quite a few of SC’s now and can’t say I am really impressed either. Mr Kilmer’s videos seem to be more about promoting Mr Kilmer’s persona than anything else, at least from those videos I have seen.

Eric is an extremely impressive and coherent presenter and his content is first class. He is in a class of his own and has a special talent which he uses very effectively. His very large following on his various video presentations speaks for itself. People sure know quality when they see it and they respond accordingly.

Mr Kilmer is not comparable with ETCG and of a lesser quality standard by far in my humble opinion. He would do well to change his style and examine the substance of his work.

CameronCameron
                                  Participant

I would have to agree with Crandall’s post above.

I have seen quite a few of SC’s now and can’t say I am really impressed either. Mr Kilmer’s videos seem to be more about promoting Mr Kilmer’s persona than anything else, at least from those videos I have seen.

Eric is an extremely impressive and coherent presenter and his content is first class. He is in a class of his own and has a special talent which he uses very effectively. His very large following on his various video presentations speaks for itself. People sure know quality when they see it and they respond accordingly.

Mr Kilmer is not comparable with ETCG and of a lesser quality standard by far in my humble opinion. He would do well to change his style and examine the substance of his work.

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 124 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…