Menu

Scripts. Write a script.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG Suggestion Box Scripts. Write a script.

• Creator
    Topic
    DaveDave
    Participant

Eric;

I have been watching your videos on and off for a while now.

It doesn’t seem like you use a script. It appears to be off the cuff – improvisational – videos.

If that’s what you want to do , OK.

As a viewer, I think your videos can be tightened up a bit.
      I am NOT saying that you need to make 3 minute videos or anything, but maybe make your thoughts more direct.

For example, in the testing the catalytic converter video, you use the infrared thermometer to test the bad cat on a car – and dont say why the test failed.

Then you test a good cat – and don’t state why it passes – until towards the end where you state that the outlet should be at least 100 degrees higher than the inlet.

I would suggest that when it fails state why it fails.

When the cat passes, state why it passes.

You have a LOT of knowledge but consider your audience.

Do NOT get me wrong, the fact that you include the deatils, troubles, and work arounds and other details makes your videos the BEST on the Internet.

I am just saying that a script can save you a lot of shooting time, make your point clearer, and keep people like me – who are easily distracted (I’m working on it) from skipping around and missing your points.

Now, I do NOT want to start a flame war here, but there is a mechanic on Youtube who has 40 something years of experience fixing cars and has really tight videos.

Although, unlike ETG, he does NOT show the inevitable problems that ALWAYS occurs when one is working on a car – which is ETG’s strength.

-Just my $0.05 (inflation).

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

Writing a script for repair videos is extremely difficult. Mainly because auto repair is so unpredictable. You can write all the scripts you want, but once you get in there are start working, things change. When I started making these videos I had the idea that I wouldn’t edit out the little ‘bumps in the road’ along the way. With other videos I had watched, I felt kind of cheated when someone would just cut to a job that was done and never fill in the gaps of how they got there. I chose not to do things that way, it was a conscious choice.

In the catalytic converter video you mention, I believe I say if you want detailed information on testing catalytic converters there is a link in the description to the “Diagnosing a Catalytic Converter” video. I’m not saying that not covering it in the video you mention was a good thing. What I’m saying is that I did cover that contingency in the video. It wasn’t ‘glossed over’ as you suggest.

There are certain videos that work well withe a ‘scripted’ approach, this coming Friday’s video for example on soldering wires. For the most part however it would be impossible to write a script for a repair. Trust me, I’ve been doing this for more than 5 years now. I hear what you’re saying, but I can assure you that in practice it would be almost impossible based on the style of videos I produce.

Not everything fits into a convenient little package. Especially when it comes to presenting information like auto repair. It’s not as easy as you might think to present the detailed information that I present and still keep things interesting. If it was easy, you’d probably see more of it.

That said, lately I’ve been covering topics that fit into the category of ‘The Basics’. These videos are tighter, shorter, more to the point, and scripted. In fact, they cover topics that I end up typing out here on the forum. With a video, I can just post a link and be done. Here’s an example of what I’m talking about.

These videos are being mixed in with my ‘regular’ repair videos and you’ll see more of them in the coming months. Believe it or not, I get crap for them because they’re too short.

My point is that I do a variety of videos. Some long, some short, some scripted. Personally I categorize them as ‘infotainment’. Not every video is going to appeal to every person watching or apply to their particular situation. It’s just the way it is. Your suggestion is noted and is honestly something I strive for in every video, but I feel that what I’m doing is sufficient and will continue forward.

Thank you for your input.

DaveDave
        Participant

Ah! I stand corrected, sir.

StevenSteven
          Participant

Eric, I believe you’re one of the MOST articulate technicians I’ve ever seen. While I can agree with DaveNewbie once in a blue moon, I’d say keep your videos unscripted. Because as you say, starting mechanical work on each video is going to be spontaneous. If everything worked out exactly the way I’d expect each video to be, then I’d take you for a fake! LOL! You going about your videos the way you do, keeps everything real and practical. I’m glad to have read your long reply to DaveNewbie because it will demonstrate to anyone the reality of making videos doing technician work, if I’m correct.

Thank you especially for all you do here in the forum!

-Steve

John HugonJohn Hugon
            Participant

My input if anyone is interested…

After being a Auto/light duty truck Tech for 38 years, being trained by factory trainers the politically correct way, viewing endless factory video’s where things just fell back together and everybody had that fake smile, it is very refreshing to view video’s how things really happen in real life.

In my opinion in Eric’s first soldering video he apologized on doing a poor job, is why I think his videos are first rate. The video showed what could happen, most likely will happen and how you can get out of a situation with a good repair. A ‘scripted’ approach/politically correct way, when everything is just perfect will not be found in the automotive world.

To my understanding Eric’s objective is helping a person solve their automotive issues by either doing it themselves or getting the info needed to pass on to Tech who is repairing their vehicle. This is a big help for people limited on funds to repair their vehicle.

In my opinion ericthecarguy.com is one of the most unique web sites on the internet…… as of July 15, 2013 225K subscribers and almost 40 million views, you don’t fix success. You worked hard for it and you deserve it.

One last thing, Eric; what kind of vitamins do you take to keep up with hours you do?

Keymaster

[quote=”MOTORHEAD_69R/T” post=98725]Eric, I believe you’re one of the MOST articulate technicians I’ve ever seen. While I can agree with DaveNewbie once in a blue moon, I’d say keep your videos unscripted. Because as you say, starting mechanical work on each video is going to be spontaneous. If everything worked out exactly the way I’d expect each video to be, then I’d take you for a fake! LOL! You going about your videos the way you do, keeps everything real and practical. I’m glad to have read your long reply to DaveNewbie because it will demonstrate to anyone the reality of making videos doing technician work, if I’m correct.

Thank you especially for all you do here in the forum!

-Steve[/quote]

Thank you!

Keymaster

[quote=”JTF” post=98745]My input if anyone is interested…

After being a Auto/light duty truck Tech for 38 years, being trained by factory trainers the politically correct way, viewing endless factory video’s where things just fell back together and everybody had that fake smile, it is very refreshing to view video’s how things really happen in real life.

In my opinion in Eric’s first soldering video he apologized on doing a poor job, is why I think his videos are first rate. The video showed what could happen, most likely will happen and how you can get out of a situation with a good repair. A ‘scripted’ approach/politically correct way, when everything is just perfect will not be found in the automotive world.

To my understanding Eric’s objective is helping a person solve their automotive issues by either doing it themselves or getting the info needed to pass on to Tech who is repairing their vehicle. This is a big help for people limited on funds to repair their vehicle.

In my opinion ericthecarguy.com is one of the most unique web sites on the internet…… as of July 15, 2013 225K subscribers and almost 40 million views, you don’t fix success. You worked hard for it and you deserve it.

One last thing, Eric; what kind of vitamins do you take to keep up with hours you do?[/quote]

Thank you very much for your comments.

As to your question. I take a multivitamin and fish oil every morning. I also work out 5 days a week, that helps a LOT. Relieves stress and helps me keep my energy up. Lost a bit of weight too.

Thanks again for your comments.

DaveDave
                  Participant

I want to state right now that I agree with ALL posters: Eric is GREAT!

Greatness does need some fine tuning here and there – just because you have achieved excellence, does not mean there is no room for improvement.

Excellence is an ongoing process.

When you stop improving and listen to sycophants and hero worship, you become stale and backwards.

Eric can become even greater. He has it in him.

All artists, athletes, musicians and others who want to get the best out of themselves realize this.

I meant NO disrespect to Eric – at all. He ROCKS!!

Just my $0.05 – inflation.

P.S. Can I do better, you ask? NO.

But I can push people who are capable of greatness to do so – like Eric.

Sincerely,

A Coach.

DaveDave
                    Participant

Thinking about it, I should never give honest feedback.

I should just say you look great – like when my wife wears Spandex.

People who ask for feedback really don’t want it – and I apologize for being so socially retarded.

Delete my account.

Keymaster

I don’t think we need to go that far. You made an observation, I answered to it. I didn’t mean to insult you in any way, I just wanted to state my case.

Could I use some improvement? Heck yea. I strive to be better every day. I don’t always make it but I keep trying.

I appreciated your suggestion, I didn’t see it as a personal attack. If I did that, I might as well give up now. Do you have any idea how much negativity (way beyond what you suggested) I deal with on a daily basis? It’s a lot, trust me. If I let it get to me I’d go insane.

I know everyone has a different point of view, and I respect that. I wouldn’t put up a suggestion box thread if I wasn’t welcoming some criticism. That’s the point.

Not deleting your account. Relax.

SeanSean
                        Participant

My thoughts…

I like the videos. Your videos seem more real to what I experience when working on cars, then any other vehicles repair videos I’ve watched. Please, keep the good parts, the bad parts, and the unexpected parts, to me that’s what sets your videos apart from all the rest. I thought I was pretty poor at fixing things, because it seemed every time I did diagnostics or repairs it never went as smoothly as the repair videos I watched. Then I watch your videos, a trained professional with years of experience, and you show us that bad things/unexpected things happen even to you, and then bonus…you show us how to overcome them and complete the job. Thank you for that.

And, call me crazy, but how you produce the video makes me feel like I’m right in the shop with you working on the vehicle. And that’s pretty cool!

Just my $0.02 – (screw inflation) 😉

Keymaster

[quote=”Brink5″ post=98974]My thoughts…

I like the videos. Your videos seem more real to what I experience when working on cars, then any other vehicles repair videos I’ve watched. Please, keep the good parts, the bad parts, and the unexpected parts, to me that’s what sets your videos apart from all the rest. I thought I was pretty poor at fixing things, because it seemed every time I did diagnostics or repairs it never went as smoothly as the repair videos I watched. Then I watch your videos, a trained professional with years of experience, and you show us that bad things/unexpected things happen even to you, and then bonus…you show us how to overcome them and complete the job. Thank you for that.

And, call me crazy, but how you produce the video makes me feel like I’m right in the shop with you working on the vehicle. And that’s pretty cool!

Just my $0.02 – (screw inflation) ;)[/quote]

High praise indeed. Thank you very much for your comments and for watching. SD

StevenSteven
                            Participant

Hahaha!! Man o man I love this forum already! Eric, I’m a total newbie to this forum n I must say it’s the most interesting one I’ve subscribed to thus far! To Mr. DaveNewbie, you’re a funny dude! Stick around! And save up your criticism for Eric because I’m somewhat of a wimp when it comes to giving criticism, so…….we need ya! And also to Eric, I’ve never been involved in a more welcoming and personable forum such as this. Heck, even RamforumZ kinda leaves ya hanging, though they’re really welcoming as well! You put a lot of effort into this forum and you DO keep it alive! We love ya man! Can’t thank you enough!

Oh n say…….I noticed you had prior experience with a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7. That’s real good…..cause I drive one! Let us know if ya get any other MOPARS comin’ your way. I’ll be the first to ask questions!

-Steve

Keymaster

[quote=”MOTORHEAD_69R/T” post=99029]Hahaha!! Man o man I love this forum already! Eric, I’m a total newbie to this forum n I must say it’s the most interesting one I’ve subscribed to thus far! To Mr. DaveNewbie, you’re a funny dude! Stick around! And save up your criticism for Eric because I’m somewhat of a wimp when it comes to giving criticism, so…….we need ya! And also to Eric, I’ve never been involved in a more welcoming and personable forum such as this. Heck, even RamforumZ kinda leaves ya hanging, though they’re really welcoming as well! You put a lot of effort into this forum and you DO keep it alive! We love ya man! Can’t thank you enough!

Oh n say…….I noticed you had prior experience with a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7. That’s real good…..cause I drive one! Let us know if ya get any other MOPARS comin’ your way. I’ll be the first to ask questions!

-Steve[/quote]

I believe there’s some truth to every criticism. Sometimes it bothers me, I am human after all. But then I remember what is is that I actually do, and how publicly I do it. After that, I don’t feel so bad. It truly is part of the job. That said, some of the criticisms have a real point and merit. To ignore that would be a failure in my opinion. So in summary, bring it on. I just might learn something.

Lastly, thanks for your comments on the forum. We’ve worked very hard to make it what it is today and hope that it’s able to help those that are looking for it now, and well into the future.

Thanks again.

StevenSteven
                                Participant

Hey don’t mention it! I’ll be sure to gear anyone towards this forum if they’re looking for help from some great people!

Oh..and also I will try my best to help out others on the forum as well. I feel like it’s a duty of mine whenever I pay a visit! ;]

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Loading…