Menu

Seniority vs Experience

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only Seniority vs Experience

• Creator
    Topic
    Rene PerezRene Perez
    Participant

Hey fellow technicians!

So I ran into this situation today that I feel will conflict with my work schedule. Not that it is a problem but I just feel it is sort of unfair. Here is the story. So I recently started working for an Infiniti dealership. I only have 1 month in since I got hired technically speaking. I came out of express service from Nissan and this Infiniti dealership has way more experienced techs. I was given the job due to someone else leaving so I was given the opportunity to work there. I have no experience doing other type of work except oil changes and what not, pretty much lube tech stuff. Within this 1 month there I learned to do alignments, brakes, programming keys, changing out starters, door panels, radios, belts and stuff like that. To be specific I am located in New York. For those of you that do not know, we have safety inspections to do every where as techs. Also emissions testing are done here as well. In order to conduct these state of New York inspections yearly, you need to have a license to conduct the inspections. Now this is where my scenerio comes in. I was able to prove to my boss that I am capable of doing the job and really bust my balls working on these cars and getting them out as fast as I can. I get acknowledged for my hard work all the time by my boss.
      But this is where it starts. I was informed today by the advisor that the boss will be hiring a new tech that will work the night time shift. But, the new tech does not have his New York State inspectors license on hand, that it was lost and he needs to retrieve another one. Since there is another group of workers that do PDI’s, the PDI guys stay late till 9 at latest and they need the new cars coming in the dealership to get through a NYS safety inspection so they are able to put out cars in the lot for sale.

What my boss wants to do is put me in the night time shift to conduct these inspections for the PDI guys and have the new tech working my morning shift for the time being while he gets his license. Afterwards I would get my spot back in the AM. Now, my concern is what if this new tech coming in is more experienced than me. What if he is just lying to my boss in order to work my shift.
      My point here being is that is it fair that I have to get switched to the night time because this new tech doesn’t have his inspectors license on hand? Even if it is just one month in the job I feel it isn’t fair to me that I have to get switched. Yes, I do know that it is to help the PDI guys and I have no problem doing it. I just think that the new tech can speak over me if he proves to my boss that he is a better experienced tech. I have busted my balls everyday to really prove to people in that shop that I can be capable of being just as good as they are. For someone to come in and take my spot to me is not fair. One month may not seem like anything to anyone but to me it is. I proved myself in that one month and I am already amazed at what I can do in such a short time.
      What do you fellow guys think? What are thoughts and opinions?

The REAL question here is, can you have a saying on something if you are more experienced or you have seniority. CAN the EXPERIENCED speak over the SENIORITY? OR can the SENIORITY speak over the EXPERIENCED?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      RickRick
      Participant

Typically if you have the same experience and knowledge, seniority matters. In this field knowledge and experience should trump seniority.

Welcome to dealership politics.

I could tell you stories that would blow your mind.

My favorite is my old dealership. One of the many I could tell you.

The cashier was an ok looking female, and one day asked me if I would like to have lunch with her. I said no thank you I’m married and it would be awkward. Then I jokingly said “plus you look like a man with feminine hair”. I got in trouble, but nothing was said about her giving the service manager a bj in one of our used cars waiting for inspection.

This is why I don’t eat chicken wings in my underware.

Gary BrownGary
        Participant

Seniority matters…but not as much as performance and experience. Rewards based on performance are always better because it encourages people to better themselves(“Hey that guy did a good job and he got a raise for it, I need to work harder”). Anyone can acquire seniority and rewarding someone just because they’ve “been there longer” encourages slacking and underachieving(“Heh if I just keep my job I’ll get a raise/promotion regardless of how I perform”.) Two completely different mentalities.

MikeMike
          Participant

First off, one month in does not count as anything towards seniority. You really don’t exist on that ladder until you’ve got 6 months in at the least. Normally it’s longer than that but every once in awhile, some asshole will manage to wheel himself in on a silver platter and get a fringe benefit/gravy boat pass right in the door. It’s certainly possible to have your experience give you more clout than someone with more seniority, but it still takes time to prove yourself as exceptionally good.

At this point, you’re a body in there and they’re utilizing you as needed. If you want to stick around, you need to be flexible and accepting early on. It’s ok to tell you’re boss when you’re not thrilled about something, but you have show you’re happy to do whatever is needed at the same time.

A multiple shifts deal like that is a tough situation in general because you can never truly know what’s going on there all the time and thus less control over how you’re actually being utilized. In a big busy place using multiple shifts, it’s to be expected that you might go thru a teething stage while they find the right place for you. I really don’t know much about that kind of shop environment though. It’s way out of my comfort zone.

Rene PerezRene Perez
            Participant

Well you have point that I see. My main thing is here that I actually try my hardest in every job I am given. I did actually impress my boss a few times with jobs he has asked if I can handle and ended up doing it just fine. As I said before I do not have that much experience at all. I am still new to the field, still trying to prove that I’m capable of doing the job. So far I have been able to do that. I just don’t see that it is fair. But oh well. My only other option is to suck it up. I actually really like the auto repair profession.

Rene PerezRene Perez
              Participant

Well I can tell you one thing that is not my mindset at all. I actually strive for acknowledgment and success. I do whatever I can to hear a “great job kid, you do fantastic, keep up the good work”. That gives me more motivation to tackle more challenges and mainly show I have a mindset of success, pride and determination.
                [quote=”Chevyman21″ post=129458]Seniority matters…but not as much as performance and experience. Rewards based on performance are always better because it encourages people to better themselves(“Hey that guy did a good job and he got a raise for it, I need to work harder”). Anyone can acquire seniority and rewarding someone just because they’ve “been there longer” encourages slacking and underachieving(“Heh if I just keep my job I’ll get a raise/promotion regardless of how I perform”.) Two completely different mentalities.[/quote]

Gary BrownGary
                Participant

[quote=”rspz23″ post=129911]Well I can tell you one thing that is not my mindset at all. I actually strive for acknowledgment and success. I do whatever I can to hear a “great job kid, you do fantastic, keep up the good work”. That gives me more motivation to tackle more challenges and mainly show I have a mindset of success, pride and determination.
                  [quote=”Chevyman21″ post=129458]Seniority matters…but not as much as performance and experience. Rewards based on performance are always better because it encourages people to better themselves(“Hey that guy did a good job and he got a raise for it, I need to work harder”). Anyone can acquire seniority and rewarding someone just because they’ve “been there longer” encourages slacking and underachieving(“Heh if I just keep my job I’ll get a raise/promotion regardless of how I perform”.) Two completely different mentalities.[/quote][/quote] That’s good. This came to mind:
                  [video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]_J0Ahh3UxbM[/video]

MikeMike
                  Participant

You probably should suck it up. Don’t think that anything you’ve done that’s been impressive to the boss or your co-workers is any less important just because you’re getting jerked around a little. Just because it needs to be done doesn’t mean that exceptional performance will go unnoticed. Stay motivated and keep your head up. You’re neither an experienced, nor senior employee at this point. You have to be willing to roll with the punches for now. In time, you will understand and know how to work with how things are done around there and you’ll almost surely find your place. Even with how shady this business can be, I’ve always found that exceptional employees are valued and taken care of as best as possible, regardless of what kind of person is in charge.

MikeMike
                    Participant

A bit off topic but in relation to what
                      [quote=”Chevyman21″ post=129458]Seniority matters…but not as much as performance and experience. Rewards based on performance are always better because it encourages people to better themselves(“Hey that guy did a good job and he got a raise for it, I need to work harder”).[/quote]

I worked a few factory jobs before working as a tech. In each of them, I would get raises quickly and be told not to tell anyone what they were paying me. I would say something to the effect of “Everybody knows I’m working really hard and making the effort I am. Why shouldn’t they see that hard work pays off?” The response was always the same. Essentially saying “You’re right in theory, but experience shows that most people just get mad about it make trouble in response, never even considering that lesson”.

Rene PerezRene Perez
                      Participant

It seems as that’s all I can do right now. I guess it’s part of paying your dues so to speak. I mean sure the shifts might suck but on the positive side, I do work with very easy going and cool technicians that are always willing throw a hand for me when I need it. It seems to me that a lot of this has to do with time.
                        [quote=”Fopeano” post=129915]You probably should suck it up. Don’t think that anything you’ve done that’s been impressive to the boss or your co-workers is any less important just because you’re getting jerked around a little. Just because it needs to be done doesn’t mean that exceptional performance will go unnoticed. Stay motivated and keep your head up. You’re neither an experienced, nor senior employee at this point. You have to be willing to roll with the punches for now. In time, you will understand and know how to work with how things are done around there and you’ll almost surely find your place. Even with how shady this business can be, I’ve always found that exceptional employees are valued and taken care of as best as possible, regardless of what kind of person is in charge.[/quote]

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…