Menu

Should I buy this car?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Should I buy this car?

• Creator
    Topic
    Matthew RossMatthew Ross
    Participant

My friend, who is NOT a car guy at all, just bought a 2016 Subaru Forrester. He attempted to trade in his 1998 Nissan Maxima with 128,000 miles. It has several dents (the hood and the passenger door were both hit in separate accidents). The car needs brakes, shocks, and possibly a new muffler. The dealership offered him $200 for a trade in, and he didn’t sell it to them. He called me and offered me the car. He wants $300.

I think that it’s an absolute steal. The car has some cosmetic issues, and needs a bit of work, but overall it’s in good shape. What do you all think?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      KeithKeith
      Participant

If you don’t mind driving a car with cosmetic issues, it could be a great winter (or any season) beater. Or you could fix the mechanical issues and flip it. These cars can run for a very long time if you take care of them so if you’re looking for an extra car or a project or something, I’d say jump on it.

Matthew RossMatthew Ross
        Participant

Yea, honestly where else can you buy a whole car, that runs, and has a very clean interior, and is roomy, for $300. I think I’m gonna do it.

Rob PRob P
          Participant

I second that, $300 is a great deal for a car that is still running with some cosmetic stuff. I’m assuming that the damage is minor and hasn’t affected the safety. Sounds like a great project car and 128k is great mileage for a 98.

wafrederickwafrederick
            Participant

Lot of times the scrappers buy these cars right away selling them for crush to the scrap yard this price range.Not doing it now since the price of crush went down the toilet.Price the parts out first,parts might be more than the car is worth.Plus there might be more problems down the road with it.I know an used car dealer whom wholesales that buys cars,the cheap cars this price range go to his parts yard since he will not sell junk.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…