Menu

Should You Rebuild or Replace?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions Should You Rebuild or Replace?

• This topic has 19 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by davedave.
  • Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I see this question on the forum a lot. This video has my opinions on the subject. What are your thoughts?

Viewing 4 replies - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      jeffreyjeffrey
      Participant

My boo…still would be a deal killer for me on a 3k truck though. Maybe if it was something with a little better after market or you were committed to driving it until the wheels fell off.

JustinJustin
        Participant

Hey Eric finally got around to watching this video,

I agree with replacing a engine rather then rebuild, like in my current position, I can get a new upgraded model of the same engine that’s only going to cost me $595AUD and that includes a new crankshaft, conrods and main bearings all been replaced, and it only has 150,000kms on it before hand, now this engine is a 2002 model compared to me 1993 model I currently have and the older engine still go around that price range also (depending on the seller), so rather then rebuilding a engine that could still die on me and cost heaps more $$$, I rather would replaced, not to mention this is my daily car and cant have it gone for long, and replacing a engine is quicker then rebuilding (day/weekender job)…

Now if it was a project car or a show car and I had the $$$ and no time frame to get it done, like one of those ‘it will be done when it’s done’, then i would rebuild it for the satisfaction of knowing I rebuilt it and knowing the inside of the particular engine to how I want it to run, but this also is more aimed at a racing engine or a high powered street machines I would think.

Basically depends on the person’s circumstances and way of living that brings it down to rebuild or replace, but for me with little $$$ I rather replace then rebuild.

Hope that makes sense lol.

DirtyDirty
          Participant

Eric, great topic.

It’s great for a DIY like me to get input from people more knowledgeable as I find their experience and advice to be invaluable.

So what are your thoughts about a mini-rebuild? My 2000 Integra’s timing belt failed and obviously needs to be replaced along with I’m assuming a valve job.

Prior to watching the video I was going to remove the belt and head to have it compresion tested.
            But now I’m considering a used JDM engine as I’m not likely able to afford a rebuilt or crate engine.

I’d love to hear your thoughts before proceeding much further as I’m currently stuck at getting the crank pulley removed… even with the pulley tool I was able to borrow at the parts store.

Dirty

davedave
            Participant

I have put a lot of thought into this, and I believe I have come up with the most cost effective solution that also give the most options:

1. Get your engine or transmission from a junk yard. (perform testing to help ensure you are getting a good working part)

2. Perform the engine/transmission swap.

3. Rebuild the old engine/transmission.

Now at this point, you have options:

4. If salvage engine/transmission works, then you can either sell your rebuilt engine/trans and make money, or save it as a spare. You now have not only made money, but have also acquired valuable experience that will pay off in the future.

5. If salvage engine/transmission doesn’t work – you how have a rebuilt unit to put in the vehicle. You have rebuilt the engine/trans for the cost of parts only (excluding any outside machining) and have earned valuable experience that will pay off in the future.

I often recommend this flow chart when it comes to major repairs. This is something that I myself follow when doing my work.

Viewing 4 replies - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…