Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • SO my battery is weak… whos a good band?

SO my battery is weak… whos a good band?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here SO my battery is weak… whos a good band?

• Creator
    Topic
    dosmastrdosmastr
    Participant

Hi,

Funny story:

Even after sitting for the week I was on vaca, I turn the key and the car starts right up.
      But If I drive to work and back (10miles one way) then stop for gas, and leave the lights on, its a little slow to turn over. Same thing if I leave my hazard lights and running lights (but not headlamps) on for the 10 minutes while I’m unloading groceries outside my condo. (One time it took me 15minutes and the car barely got running) Funny thing is even just driving 60 feet to my parking spot is enough that if I park and the restart, it starts up just fine, even though it only was running 20 seconds. (normal? lol)

But without draw AFTER the car is off, it always turns over normally and starts just fine….. until last night when it was probably 35degrees F outside. Then he started almost normally but I could tell the battery was weak.

I thought I had a short someplace in the lights til last night.

The battery in there is a carquest which is magically 2 months over his 5 year warranty.

How long are these things really supposed to last? I never recall my mom replacing a battery, just jumped the car if she left the lights on and was good after that.

I’ve had mixed results with walmart batteries.

I guess its time to pony up for a better brand…. question is, who?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dosmastrdosmastr
      Participant

Looks like all perfect substitutes. All 100 to 125, though I’m not immediately against spending the 190 for the super duper bosche with 4 year replacement. (96 month prorate)

college mancollege man

The average life of a battery is about 4 years.
          I used the walmart battery and had good luck.
          3 year full replacement.

Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
          Participant

Well, I HATE aftermarket batteries, for the most part they are junk.

But, it is a price issue and many people have to balance life expectancy over cost. Personally I use OEM batteries, my Chevy is 20 years old the OEM battery died about 7 years into its life and the replacement was another A/C Delco battery that lasted almost 8 years, when that one died I put in another AA/C Delco and expect in another 2 years I will be putting another A/C Delco in it. I figured since I was keeping it long term it was more cost effective to put in a battery that lasts twice as long for about $50 more than the cheap crap batteries that last maybe 2-4 years if you are lucky.

BillBill
            Participant

I think OEM batteries are best but I have had great luck with Interstate Batteries. I have one that is 13 years old. I removed it bout a year ago when I scrapped my 95 Voyager (the one in my profile pic) and still starts my Son’s Intrepid, today.

dosmastrdosmastr
              Participant
                Participant

[quote=”wysetech” post=78936]I think OEM batteries are best but I have had great luck with Interstate Batteries. I have one that is 13 years old. I removed it bout a year ago when I scrapped my 95 Voyager (the one in my profile pic) and still starts my Son’s Intrepid, today.[/quote]

Can you still get Interstate batteries? I have not seen one in a long time, technically Johnsons Controls is OEM, they make some Ford batteries and have made batteries for Mopar. They also make the Optima line of AGM batteries. Johnson Controls make some of the best batteries around..

why would the OE battery of lower CCA last longer?

most aftermarket batteries (sure start, Duralast, Exide, ect) are 2nd and 3rd tier batteries or even worse are refreshed (basically they de-sulfinate the battery, dump out the acid, pour in new and sell it). Don’t be fooled by CCA ratings, a high CCA does not equal a good battery.

I always advise that if you can afford it, don’t skimp on the battery. 57% of automotive breakdowns are battery related and as we move into the winter you are going to want the best reliability you can afford. A cold battery looses alot of output capacity and when you combine that with a cold engine takes longer to crank over, the winter is brutal on a battery.

Jeremy MyersJeremy Myers
                  Participant

Walmart, Autozone and Advance auto batteries are all made by Johnson Controls.

There are only 3 Makers of batteries in the US… Delphi, Exide and Johnson Controls. That’s it! I was very surprised to realize this when I had to look for one last December when mine died. I ended up getting a Everstart maxx from walmart because it was the same and a Duralast gold from autozone only $40 cheaper.

Participant

[quote=”Old_School” post=78991]Walmart, Autozone and Advance auto batteries are all made by Johnson Controls.

There are only 3 Makers of batteries in the US… Delphi, Exide and Johnson Controls. That’s it! I was very surprised to realize this when I had to look for one last December when mine died. I ended up getting a Everstart maxx from walmart because it was the same and a Duralast gold from autozone only $40 cheaper.[/quote]

Not anymore

Delphi no longer makes batteries. They sold that part of their business to Johnson Controls about 3 years ago.

Since that, the largest manufacturers are now Johnson Controls, Exide, and East Penn.

And yeah it’s true Delphi no longer makes A/C Delco batteries. And from what I have been told Optima’s quality has gone down since JCs take over. Buddy over at Napa told me that if anyone really wants a top tier battery you have to go with a premium JC battery (and he hinted they are still substandard, it’s all about cheap and fast).

Guess I’ll have to do some research also seeing that my dealer no longer carries the ol “green eye” Delphis that are in my truck right now.

This is the nature of how it is now I guess, sure parts are much cheaper,but at what cost? CV axles that vibrate, ignition modules that burn up in 6 months, brake pads that make a racket, water pumps that leak, radiators that barely last a year.

PaulPaul
                      Participant

Exide filed for bankruptcy recently. If I remember correctly, they lost the contract to Walmart to JCI, and they were having problems obtaining cores. However, I don’t know if it means that they will be out of the battery business or not.

Higher CCA ratings usually require thinner plates for an increased surface area and lower resistance. Good in winter, but the price is reduced longevity (entropy and undesired chemical reactions).

MatthewMatthew
                        Participant

I get Die Hard batteries myself. In fact in the next year or two ill be due for a new battery and it will be a Plus Start from what I understand is a generic Die Hard. All that matters is that the battery has the same or BETTER CCA (Cold-Cranking Amps) it should work. Also make sure you get the right type IE Side or top terminals.

Participant

[quote=”Hanneman” post=79006]Exide filed for bankruptcy recently. If I remember correctly, they lost the contract to Walmart to JCI, and they were having problems obtaining cores. However, I don’t know if it means that they will be out of the battery business or not.

Higher CCA ratings usually require thinner plates for an increased surface area and lower resistance. Good in winter, but the price is reduced longevity (entropy and undesired chemical reactions).[/quote]

Dang. The problem I see is JC becoming basically the only supplier of automotive batteries. No competition usually results in lower quality. In 2025 Standards will require a minimum of 54 mpg for a passenger vehicle. To achieve this most manufacturers have stated they will have to go with the 48 volt system and all accessories will be run by electric motors rather than engine driven accessories. The big problem is the projected price increase of a car is $5,000 to $15,000 more than it is now.

To do this JC has created what they call the mico-hybrid battery

Other features in the micro hybrid batteries which will go into initial production later this year in Holland, Mich.:

■ The battery is aiming for mass production, using standard designs and sizes. Too often, automakers are designing their own hybrid systems, which makes each one distinctive but also costly from a supplier and consumer’s point of view.

■ There is no need for an electric vehicle charging station with start-stops and micro hybrids.

■ The battery has a four-year life expectancy rather than the 10-year life that is the standard for batteries for full-scale hybrid electric vehicles.

So not only will the cars cost at least $5,000 more, but the really expensive batteries will only last 4 years. Crap how are the poor supposed to be able to afford transportation?

Heck, diesels can get that mpg now and require no special batteries or other silly and expensive electronics. I hope the hybrids end up dying out and get replaced by diesels.

MatthewMatthew
                            Participant

[quote=”Raistian77″ post=78945]
                              Can you still get Interstate batteries? I have not seen one in a long time, technically Johnsons Controls is OEM, they make some Ford batteries and have made batteries for Mopar. They also make the Optima line of AGM batteries. Johnson Controls make some of the best batteries around.. [/quote]
                              Yea you can still get insterstate batteries theres one place near me that sells them AND another place sells AC Delco

PaulPaul
                              Participant

[quote=”Raistian77″ post=79016] Dang. The problem I see is JC becoming basically the only supplier of automotive batteries. No competition usually results in lower quality.[/quote]

JCI’s corporate headquarters is down the road from me. JCI is often featured in the local news, and they are making some surprising changes and investing heavily into R&D. I read a story about their 48-V microhybrid technology a few minutes after seeing a commercial for the new Malibu with the stop-start feature. Supposedly, the battery is dedicated to run all of the electric accessories when the engine is shut off (radio, AC, etc). I’m guessing the layout in the engine bay will change a bit. Not surprisingly, the article didn’t mention the steep price tag and only described uHybrid benefits.

Also, the new CEO is also shifting their focus in the automotive sector. They want to get away from automotive controls and move into interiors. Strange if you ask me.

I’m curious to the actual benefits of stop-start technology. It sounds like a lot of wear-and-tear on a gasoline engine. Also, how much gas is required to start a car now vs N number of seconds idling?

Back on topic, JCI manufacturers batteries for many vendors under many names, including OEM, Autocraft, Diehard (maybe not anymore), Wally World, etc. I don’t know if there are different versions for different vendors and price points. They are somewhat easy to identify though. JCI Pb-acid batteries usually have a round sticker with the manufacturing date in the MM/YYYY format. I don’t know what the sticker’s color signifies, though.

MatthewMatthew
                                Participant

from what i have read the Start & Stop is a silent feature when u apply the brakes the engine cuts off when u let off the brakes it starts back up but from what i heard it was a Alternator/Starter (cant remember the name now) that controlled this not the battery.

dosmastrdosmastr
                                  Participant

wow cool so much info for such a typically mundane topic!!

Old skool, thanks for the transparency on the makers and rebranding. Def makes the job easier.

Funny someone should mention the posts being correct… walmart said get a 51R… no… my posts aren’t reversed… so I’ll be going back to return that tomorrow for a 51. As for the price… I swear I paid only 70 bucks a few years ago (when wally used exide I imagine) the one I got today ran a cool 100. (but the one with the correct posts will save me a dollar, whoopee)

I was wondering if walmart had changed suppliers, these Everstart batteries are very different looking than the ones they had a few years ago..not to mention the new name lol.

Firestone’s service centers sell interstate batteries

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/auto-services/batteries/?psid=BINGNEZ%20ServicesM%20|%20MID-ATLANTIC%20|%20BRANDED%20BATTERY%20|%20TABLET%20|%20FCAC%20|%20NEZm%20|%20Mid-Atlantic%20|%20Firestone%20Battery%20|%20KW%20|%20Tablet%20|%20FCAC%20|%20NEZfirestone%20batterye&k_clickid=07aeb89e-1d02-8788-52a4-000013d87631&k_profid=9&k_affcode=61389

I’ll cosign on the axels that vibrate. Got a reman and its 75% bad as the old one that was failing.

hybrids? I’ve consistently wondered why nobody made a diesel hybrid consumer auto. Yeah it would be more expensive but the fuel economy would be out of this world! Any of the HEV that UPS is now using are diesel hybrids. (the few I’ve seen the dash says it gets 9-11mpg … I hear the old gas motors alone get only 6.) As for start-stop, UPS does tell its drivers, safety permitting, to shut the motor off if at a red light (the ones not driving hybrids 🙂 ), they wouldn’t do that if they didn’t think it saved them some green… Then again much of UPS’ fleet is late 80’s ford and GM … and you guys are probably slightly newer 😉 That being said, in my building they have replaced more than half of those old trucks in the last few years and they don’t appear to have amended the policy.

I know the Honda start stop feature is controlled by the hybrid motor which is integrated onto the gas engine’s crankshaft.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…