Menu

So you want/are going to be a mechanic/technician

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only So you want/are going to be a mechanic/technician

• Creator
    Topic
    James O'HaraJames O’Hara
    Participant

This is advice and should be taken as such I do not accept any liability expressed or implied. I have to write that sentence or people would try to sue me for not using common sense, things out of my control, etc. I am writing it as the same questions seem to be getting asked by the new techs and the DIY guys that want to become technicians. I will try to cover most of the questions and I am taking my time with this to try and make it to the point and not take a lot of time. Here is a playlist of videos that I suggest you watch if you are a serious DIY or want/are going to get into the mechanics/technicians field. There is more stuff that pertains to technicians/mechanics so DIY only guys may need to look through the list. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-gZT3I9va10kKHyZRdAE-1WnVoGI2QTW

Your Pay

If you are Flat Rate or Hourly your pay will be based off your speed/quality of work. When you are flat rate it is just a lot more apparent. When you are hourly there is normally an incentive to be above a certain percentage with bonus’ once someone exceeds a percentage of 100-110% to 115% and sometimes there are different tiers after this. So if you exceed 115% you would get a bigger bonus. When you are new in a flat rate shop you want to ask about getting paid hourly till you get the hang of things. For new technicians with under a year of experience this is how they run it. Some times it is only for 3-6 months other times its till you can get your efficiency over a certain percentage. They also normally have a minimum in flat rate so basically if you have a horrible week you still get paid for at least 30-36hrs. Efficiency is simply the % of time it took you vs the Standard Repair Time also known as book time. So if you did a job in 4 hrs and it pays 2 you would have 50% efficiency. All your jobs are normally averaged for the day then again at the end of the week. The quality of work also plays a factor shoddy work means they can’t rely on you which often means you get paid less and if you keep it up they kick you to the curb. Sometimes if you are having issues they will partner you up to learn from someone else before that happens though. When you are new they anticipate you not being perfect and also being slow.

Work Ethics

You are going to be ridden regardless. Be aware this is all part of being in a shop it is like a fraternity. If you go complain to the boss its only going to get worse and/or get you fired though they would find a legitimate excuse ie he was late to work once. When you mess something up especially when you are new own up to it. Tell your boss and tell him what you did wrong. If you don’t know what you did wrong ask him to show you or have someone else show you so you don’t do it again. If you don’t know what you did wrong write it down when it is explained to you and review it. This goes a long way in building trust. If you are scared of your boss finding out think about what would happen if you don’t tell him and he finds out later. It is much better to deal with it while the vehicle is still there then not.

Tools and what your Employer Expects

You are new they are not expecting you to roll in there with a 15k toolbox and 30k of tools inside. They some times do not even expect you to have tools. It is a question that is normally asked in an interview and be honest about it. If it is not asked then you may want to address it because if they expect you to have tools and you have none you are going to be sol. When someone is new and say they have tools they normally expect a starter set from sears. A diagonal side cutter. A screwdriver set. Maybe a half inch impact and maybe sockets for the impact.

Buying Tools

When buying Hand Tools buy the best you can afford but, also realize that just because it says Craftsman, Snap-On, Mac, Cornwell, or Matco does not mean it is the best. I am not saying you have to own Snap-On right off the bat or to sink 30k into tools. If you plan on doing this as your career buy tools meant to last your career. Realize right now that every tool can and will break eventually. I don’t care if it was forged on Mt. Olympus or in the fire of Hades by Hephaestus himself its going to break. Not every tool has to be the best of the best to work day in and day out. Things like brake pad quick depth gauges and tire tread depth gauges do not need to be the best of the best. Anything that is easily lost should not be expensive. I constantly loose magnets, inspection mirrors, and flashlights. When you are moving quickly it happens or when you drop them sometimes they land where you can not retrieve them.

Tool Trucks

You need to realize you are going to be paying the tool trucks a portion of your paycheck every week for more then likely the rest of your career normally 10% of what you owe. Find out which one of them is the least like a con man and use him primarily. Things you use every day need to be very good quality ie your wrenches, sockets, ratchets, and pry bars. Things like inspection mirrors and pocket magnets buy cheap because you will loose them. Just because it has tool truck name on it does not mean they made it regardless of what the truck guy says and btw not everything snap-on is made in the usa. Simple example is Snap-On taps and dies are Irwin. Matco Air guns are Ingersol Rand. Craftsman professional driving head prybars are made by Mayhew. Mac snap ring pliers are Wilde. Cornwell Impact guns are Ingersol Rand as well. Regardless of what the Snap-On man says not everything is a lifetime warranty and not everything Snap-On is USA made. You must remember that tool truck guys are salesman plain and simple. They make more money by selling their companies product over anyone else’s brand. They also make a premium on tool boxes. Normally the tool truck guys will also warranty those respective brands because they make it for that company but, do not rely on this ask first. These were the brands at the time of me writing this and are subject to change.

My Advice on Tools

Buy the tool to fit your needs and probable future uses. If it is not a tool that requires precision then it does not require that expensive brand name. Tools that you loose all the time buy the cheapest version that works. Tools that break all the time require a good brand and one that is easily replaced. Tools that you use all the time and break all the time regardless of quality keep 2 of and also assess if a better tool is available. When it comes to tools that need to just work look into industrial brands as well as the tool truck brands. Also check out reviews online, advice from forums, and what mechanics have/use in your shop to do the job.

A simple example of these rules is a magnetic tray from Harbor Freight does the same thing as one from Snap-On and the only difference is about $15 dollars and that is just because the one says Snap-On, it is slightly better quality, and has a warranty. They are also easily lost or run over and $2-4 dollars is a lot cheaper then $15 and a warranty won’t help you if you loose it. This also goes for magnetic pick up tools while having a good/decent brand like Craftsman is good for stronger versions the one you keep in your pocket should be a cheap one such as pepboys or once again Harbor Freight. An example of tools that break all the time are wobble extensions and turbo sockets. These are things that are needed a lot of the time and having a backup of your most used one is recommended to get you till when the tool truck shows up next and can warranty it out.

Jawed turning tools should be used as you would grab something with your hand. What I mean by this is the longer/stronger section should be as your pointer finger would be grabing a pipe and wrapping you one hand around it and trying to rotate it. So rightse tightse – leftse loosie. So when you use the adjustable, pipe wrench, open end of a wrench, monkey wrench, etc the stronger part is applying the force and the weaker part is just keeping you from over rotating. This will keep you from breaking wrenches that adjust to the nut size in whatever fashion as easily and keep you from spreading open end wrenches as easily.

Hammers in my opinion should be hickory handles and make sure the grain is running front to back. The fiberglass handles do not hold up over time and splinter and can be fun to try and change spewing glass fibers everywhere which requires glasses and a face mask, and gloves. Steel handles normally come down to a point even if it’s a smooth point if you miss, which happens everyone makes mistakes, your finger and/or anything else will not appreciate you hitting it. If you feel you will break the wood handle you can measure the circumference of the handle and buy conduit/thin pipe with the same inside circumference. Bend it using a vice or hammer to shape of the handle and heat it with a torch and drive it down till it hits the head using a punch, if necessary, alternating sides with each hit. If replacing a wood handle it is easier to put the conduit/pipe guard on first though you will need to dry fit the head of the tool and mark the bottom so as to install in proper location without obstructing the proper wedging of the handle into the hammer head.

Air tools should be oiled with good quality air tool oil once before use for the day. If using the entire day oil a second time at lunch. Normally 3-4 drops is sufficient though 1/2in air line tools require more 5-6 drops. Also if your air tools take grease you should grease them once every month to two months with Air Tool Grease. This is cheap insurance to keep your air tools running properly. Some people use power steering fluid it works though I use Lucas Air Tool Oil. At the beginning of the day or if you go to another bay make sure to purge the air line of water. If for some reason water gets into your air tool hook up to a dry air line run in forward and reverse till all water is out. Then oil your air tool and run in forward and reverse for 2 mins each direction. Repeat the oiling and running 3 times and this should save your tool from damage.

Ratchets are extremely versatile and in the end you are going to want a set of low profile, Long Handel Flex Head, Stubby Flex 3/8” and 1/2”, Regular. When it comes to ratchets I like quick release because it holds onto the socket/extension and does not allow it to slip easily. When buying quick release you want a low to no profile button. This is so when wrenching in a tight spot it does not get pressed and release the socket and also to allow you in that tight space. The number of teeth you are going to want in every ratchet you own is 72 or more. This is what is known as a fine tooth ratchet and the reason for this is tight locations you need to have less movement between tooth engagements. You are going to also want a true dual pawl. This means inside the ratchet head there is one paw for forward and one paw for reverse. You are also going to want at least 6 teeth engagement. Those two things are normally what dictates whether a ratchet will slip when attempting to tighten or remove a bolt under extreme force. It also dictates how much force can be applied. This is why a good fine tooth ratchet will break less often then a coarse tooth due to the overall surface area of the gears engaged. The other thing to look for is how it feels in your hand. This is going to be the tool you used the most and if it is not comfortable in your hand when you are putting a lot of force on it, it will let you know for the next 3 days. Try and stay away from round metal handle ratchets. You want to opt for something that has a grip that will stand up to chemicals and abuse or metal that is either knurled or slightly square/rectangular in shape. This will greatly reduce your risk of slipping especially when your hands are covered in oil. When buying a flex head ratchet you want to look for the axis to be an adjustable set screw or recessed bolt. The reason for this is if it is just pinned over time it will spread slightly and the head will flop all over the place. When it comes to low profile ratchets a thin handle can be good but, it also has the down side of hurting you hand when applying force so beware. The main ratchets you use daily should be cleaned and lubed every 6 months. You can apply a thin layer of, thin silicone grease or lubriplate to the gear faces. The rest of the ratchet should be oiled with a light weight oil 10 or under. I use Sili-Kroil because it leaves a layer of silicone behind which helps prevent dirt from sticking to parts and also adds another layer of rust prevention. For the ratchets you do not use daily you should oil them once a year following the advice above. When using a ratchet if you are going to put a pipe on it stop and grab a breaker bar and use that.

Tool boxes are normally a thing of great debate. If you are in a large shop and have to move either from time to time or all the time you are going to need a tool truck brand toolbox or an industrial toolbox from a place like sears. The reason for this is they are welded and the wheels are greaseable and meant to take the constant movement with a lot of weight in them. Regardless of who makes the toolbox you are going to want to check out the weight rating of the entire box and also the weight rating of the individual drawers. Most heavy DIY and mechanics are going to overload their drawers especially when a new to it. This is mainly because bigger boxes cost a premium. If you are a DIY and/or mechanic I would suggest starting out with a tool cart. This is great because when you upgrade to a proper tool box you then have a tool cart you can use to keep all the stuff you use on a daily basis. If your tool box sits in one spot all the time you may be able to get away with a cheaper box but, remember drawer weight rating. I would suggest getting only boxes with dual roller bearing slides. This will make opening and closing the drawers much easier. If you are in a shop that requires you move your tool box a lot or for your cart every 6 months you want to lube your wheels/drawers. If it does not move often once a year is normally ok. To lube your toolbox wheels if it has grease fittings use them if it does not try to use a penetrating oil to get on the shaft and ball bearings for the wheels. For ball bearing drawers oil can be used but, I would suggest graphite or silicone powder. If you use a dry lube you must apply then roll 1/3 of the way and repeat 3 times. This may require you removing the drawers. The advantage to a dry lube though is it does not trap dust and dirt as easily making it less likely to gum up in the future. For non ball bearing slide type drawers. Apply grease to the friction areas.

Torque Wrenches are very important. With that being said does everything need to be torqued? Well lets put it this way in a perfect world you would never have any dirt, debri, or rust/corrosion in your threads. This is exactly where Engineer’s Live is in this perfect little world. So what needs to be torqued. Well this is a matter of great debate among mechanics and technicians. There is anything to do with the engine, transmission, axles, SRS components, seats, and wheels. Then there are those that believe everything should be torqued and somewhere between their first and second oil change they realize the torque spec for filter’s doesn’t work. It is simply not feasible to torque every fastener so you have to find what you are comfortable with. When starting out I suggest you torque anything you think you can break. This will get you a feel for how tight things should be. Most technicians and I assume most serious DIY guys will develop a feel for when the bolt starts to stretch. They then normally go 1/16th to 1/8th past that. Some even go 1 flat on hex bolts which is 1/6th though I have found that when people go past 1/8th it often leads to snapped bolts on things that have been removed more then once or twice. Also when you have gaskets/seals/o-rings you cannot always trust what you are feeling because you may just be feeling resistance from those items. This also steepens the learning curve. Using a torque wrench there are now 4 main styles. Deflecting Beam this uses a beam that flexes as you use it. Click type which uses a ball detent with a spring that is winded/unwinded by turning the handle. It then clicks as the ball is moved off the top of the spring. Electronic torque wrench which uses a strain gauge attached to the handle. Electronic torque wrench with angle reading it also uses a strain gauge but, at the same time uses a gyroscope to measure the angle past the snug point. I prefer the click type batteries always make me wonder how accurate it is and the beam type can be a pain if your muscles are straining as that reading point will keep bouncing. The beam type rarely goes out of calibration it takes a ridiculously large number of uses and it automatically reverts to zero after use. The click type and most electronic types you need to set the handle back to the lowest setting. On the mechanical types some guys even like to go one or 2 full turns past the lowest setting. The point is you don’t want the spring under tension when you are using the click type as for the electronic type I am not quite sure all I know is the instructions always tell you too. Read the directions when you get the tool they are your best bet to keeping it proper and working. Never use a torque wrench to tighten or loosen past what it is set at. So once it click, beeps, or vibrates stop. If you need a little more or a little less use a ratchet, breaker bar, or T-handle just not the torque wrench. If you do it will make the torque wrench go out of spec very quickly.

Torque Sticks vary wildly in their accuracy. They are normally only guaranteed to within +/- 10-15% which is a large margin of error especially for the higher torque ones. I personally do not use them and do not like to use them when instructed. If I do use these I normally use one that is under the specified setting and then just use a torque wrench afterwards.

Combination Wrenches these are your bread and butter. There is rarely a time that you cannot get a wrench into a place. They can be used in place of ratchets and sockets in most cases. You need them to be able to run bolts and nuts up with impacts and such. When it comes to these you want to get a starter set that is the best you can afford. I would stay away from Craftsman unless you can get an older set around 1970s should be a -V- marking on it. I would say a good starter brand is GearWrench unless you have the money to buy Snap-On or some other high quality brand. Most mechanics use Snap-On atm though I have yet to find a set I like or works for me. When I buy wrenches I want something that is wide enough it doesn’t feel like I am breaking my bones or separating my joints when I pull really hard on them.

Older tools can be extremely good. Stuff built between 1950 to 1970 seems to be made out of good quality steel if it is a well known name brand especially for back in that time. Craftsman tools from that era are equivalent or better then Snap-On now in some cases. Here is a link to a website identifying Craftsman markings to give you an idea of date of manufacture and quality. https://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/craftsman-early-tools.html Snap-On back then was not as good as Snap-On now from what I have heard from other mechanics. Remember if it has a lifetime warranty it can always be traded in as long as they still make it. But, before you do this I would suggest attempting to clean the tool up and if it needs minor repairs to do that. CLR from what I have heard is amazing at removing rust off older tools without damaging them much if at all. Though obviously stuff that is not all metal or is painted would probably be damaged. You need to use some common sense when working with older tools. I have Craftsman round head fine tooth ratchets that put newer ones to shame and I had to buy the 3/8 drive one off ebay but, it only cost me 14 bucks which is about what you would pay for a cheap one now anyway. The difference is it is built to be used heavily as most older ratchets were due to the lack of air/electric tools being used and/or developed at that time. Remember when you get ratchets to clean the internals thoroughly and lube them as stated in the ratchet section.

Long term storage of tools requires some fore thought. While I have not tried all of these methods they are something that should be thought about and any advice would be appreciated. Rust/Corrosion/ Dry rot are what you are trying to fight. Impact sockets/adapters/universals/extensions need to be misted with oil or stored in old oil if for extremely long periods of time. This goes for anything else that is a bare metal. You should also consider putting them in a plastic bag such as 2 trash bags or seal type bags. Air tools should be oiled and air with as little moisture as possible run through them running the tool in either direction 1 full rotation each way. This will insure a good coating of oil. Then all openings and grease points should be taped over with a tape that will help seal out air and prevent rusting. Anything chrome that is nicked up bad should get the same treatment as the impact tools. Electric tools should be run till warm but, not so warm as to melt the plastic bag you put them in same rules as above 2 trash bags or seal type bags. The heat should help to evaporate any moisture left inside the bag. Extension cords, electric tool plugs, anything with a terminal should be taped over with a tape that is sticky enough to stay for a long period of time. I suggest 3M Electrical or packaging tape for taping things up also remember that the surface needs to be clean for the tape to stick well. For hammers I would suggest using a good oil like linseed oil on the handle and spraying a thin layer of a sealant paint meant for steel and paint on the head. Wipe the excess oil away and then put it inside of the plastic bags same deal as before. For ratchets clean and lube the inside with oil and once again plastic bag them. With all the bags try and get out as much air as possible and tape over any openings or seals with tape. Keep the tools in a cool, dry, dark place. Doing this is a great way to keep any tools that are going into storage in good/like new condition.

Tool Brands

While brands are a good thing and can point you in the direction of knowing a tool is of good quality. Beware the ease to fall into fanboyism just because something has a brand name does not mean it is good. A simple way to know which brand is good for what can be rather simple at times. If someone asks you for a pair of Channel Locks most people know these are tongue and groove pliers. Well that tells you what brand to buy for that and same goes for Crescent Wrenches as they are actually Adjustable Wrenches. Other things such as needle nose pliers though there is no definitive winner. I use Channel Locks as I was told by my dad they were the best and I have yet to find a pair that really stands up to the abuse that they do. When it comes to electrical tools for crimping, cutting, and stripping Klien is the way to go. There is no competition. They do cost more but, they are made to do it all day long and I have tried many other brands nothing compares. Most other brands the handles will twist when you attempt to cut things especially with those all in one cutter, crimper, stripper.

Here is a list of brands and their affiliates.

Suggested Brands

I am only listing what I have used and works or seen used by technicians extensively.

Combination Wrenches – Gear Wrench, Snap-On
      Combination Wrenches (Flat Side Prying) – Snap-On Flank Drive
      Stubby Combination – Craftsman Professional 34956, Snap-On
      Jumbo Combination Wrenches – Sunex
      Ratcheting Combination Wrenches – Gear Wrench (They are stronger then any other)
      Long Flex Double Ratcheting Box End Offset Spline – Mountain or E-Z Red
      Screwdrivers – Craftsman
      Fine Tooth Ratchets – Gear Wrench, Snap-On
      Quick Release Fine Tooth Ratchets – Craftsman 44992
      Low Profile Fine Tooth Ratchets – Craftsman 44992
      Long Handel Quick Release Flex Head Ratchet – Expert, Snap-On (Button sticks out), (Do not buy Mac)
      3/4” Drive Ratchet – Craftsman (Try to get USA), Snap-On
      6’ 3/4” Torque Wrench – Snap-On, Gear Wrench
      Rotating Head Ratchet – Gear Wrench Roto
      Socket 4 Rail Tray – Mac SH4448, Vim V444 (Steel clips rarely break and are cheap)
      Wrench Organizers (V Shaped Rubbery Plastic) – Vim VS14 (15 Slot)
      Impact Sockets – Craftsman (USA Only), Grey Pneumatic
      Impact Sockets (Flat Side Grabbing) – Snap-On Flank Drive, Grey Pneumatic 6s
      Impact Ball Universal – Craftsman (USA Only), Snap-On, Grey Pneumatic
      Impact Extensions – Craftsman (USA Only), Grey Pneumatic
      Impact Adapters – Craftsman (USA Only), Grey Pneumatic, Pittsburgh (If need Cheap)
      Impact Wobble Extensions – Grey Pneumatic (Discontinued, Can only use on Impact of that drive Size)
      Breaker Bars – Craftsman, Snap-On
      Speed Wrenches – Craftsman Speeder, JC Penny (Discontinued)
      Picks – Set of each – Snap-On, Craftsman (Good Starter), Great Neck (Pepboys)
      Hose Picks – Mayhew Dominator 60008 (4 short) or 60002 (3 short + 3 long)
      Lady Slipper – Mayhew Ladyfoot (All others are welded and break at shaft to foot)
      Spud Bar – Mayhew Line-Up Pry Bar
      Chisels – Mayhew (Craftsman are junk)
      Punches – Mayhew (Craftsman are junk)
      Center Punches – Mayhew (Craftsman are junk)
      Automatic Center Punch – Pittsburgh Professional 621
      Prybar – Craftsman Professional 61355-998, Mayhew Dominator
      Drilling, Blacksmith, Engineer Hammers – Craftsman, Vaughan, Estwing, Plumb
      Deadblows – Snap-On, Expert
      Electric Engraver – Dremel
      Tape Measure – Snap-On TPMA25EM (Inches/Metric), Husky, Stanley
      Vernier Dial Caliper – Starett (Expensive), Fowler Dual Read (.001” and .02mm)
      Steel Rules – Starett
      Pocket Ruler – Empire 6”
      Chrome Sockets – Snap-On, Craftsman 6pt (Starting Only)
      Hex L Keys- Ball End Only – Allen (Best), Craftsman
      Torx L Keys – Allen
      Torx, Allen, Inverted Torx Sockets – Craftsman 34845
      Mechanic’s Stethoscope – KD Tools 835 (Old not egg shaped)
      Cutter, Stripper, Crimper Electrical Tool – Klien 1010 (Perfect starter)
      Wire Stripper/Cutter 22-32 AWG – Klien 11057 (Allows Smaller then 1010)
      Wire Stripper/Cutter 12-20 AWG – Klien 1105 (For tight places same as 1010 AWG)
      Wire Stripper/Cutter 6-12 AWG – Klien 11053 (Allows Larger then 1010)
      Wire Crimper/Cutter 10-22 AWG – Klien 1005 (For tight places)
      Pencil Soldering Iron – Radioshack 64-2071 (For Circuit Boards)
      Torch Soldering Iron – Bernzomatic ST250K (Requires lighter to light)
      Propane/Map Torch – Bernzomatic TS8000 Surefire
      Solder – Radioshack Rosin-Core .05 diameter Lead Free (Smaller Diameter Better)
      Silver Solder – Radioshack .015 diameter Lead Free (Smaller Diameter Better)
      De-Soldering Braid – Radioshack 64-2090 (Used for circuit Boards)
      Tip Tinner – Radioshack 64-020 (Used for Solder Irons to Protect/Clean tips)
      Soldering Iron Holder – Radioshack 64-2078 (Prevents Pencil Iron from burning things)
      Heat Blanket – Oatey, Bernzomatic (Protective Blanket to protect behind Propane Torch)
      Digital Multi Meters – Bluepoint DMSC683A, Fluke, Extech
      Test Light – Cen-Tech 30779
      IR Thermometer – Cen-Tech 60725 (Remove batteries when not using)
      Magnetic Dial Indicator Base – Pittsburgh 5645
      Magnetic Dish – Pittsburgh Automotive
      Adjustable Wrenches – Crescent, J H Williams, Snap-On (Do not buy Slide type)
      Tongue + Groove Pliers – Channel Lock
      Needle Nose – Channel Lock
      Mini Needle Nose – Craftsman
      Linesman Pliers – Channel Lock, Klien
      Slip Joint Pliers – Craftsman
      Locking Pliers – Irwin Visegrip
      Diagonal Side Cutters – Knipex
      Filter Pliers – Pittsburgh Automotive
      Strap Filter Wrench – Rigid
      Aviation Snips – Wiss
      Oil Filter Claw – Bluepoint FWA62121A (No One else’s lasts professionally)
      Heavy Duty 10 AWG Extension Cord – Harbor Freight 93674
      Hand Vac – Mityvac MV8000 (DIY), Mityvac MV8500 (Technicians)
      Automotive Floor Jack – Torin Big Red T83318
      Screwdrivers – Craftsman 31798
      Micro Screwdrivers – Craftsman 41105
      Mini Torx Screwdrivers – Craftsman 41105, Snap-On
      Ratcheting Screwdriver – Craftsman 47144
      Bit Sets – Craftsman 26535
      Creepers – Lisle Jeepers Creeper 92102 (DIY), Matco (Jeepers Creeper for Technicians)
      Torque Wrench – Craftsman (DIY or Starting Tech), Snap-On, GearWrench
      Pipe Wrench – Rigid (Steel Versions rarely bend with pipe on the handle)
      Monkey Wrench/Gas Grips – Crescent Auto Wrench, Rigid Spud Wrench 31400
      Telescoping Magnetic Pickup Tool Pocket – Pittsburgh
      Telescoping Magnetic Pickup Tool – Craftsman 4132
      Drop Light – Philips 22002X1
      UV HVAC Light/Glasses – Mastercool 53512-UV
      Upholstry Tool (Used for Interriors) – Mayhew, Mac
      Flat Blade Razor Blade Scraper Short – Stanley
      Retractable Razor Blade Knife – Stanley 99E
      Wire Brushes – Harbor Freight, Lincoln Electric
      Air Impacts – Snap-On, Ingersoll Rand, Air Cat
      Air Ratchets – Campbell Hausfeld (Starter), Ingersoll Rand, Astro Pneumatic
      Air Angle Die Grinder – Chicago Pneumatic
      Air Cut-off Tool – Chicago Pneumatic
      Air Tool Oil – Lucas
      Air Tool Grease – Ingersoll Rand
      Rubber Tip Blow Nozzle – Amflo
      Truck/RV Tire Pressure Gauge – Pittsburgh Automotive
      Dual Chuck Tire Inflator – Central pneumatic (Brass End Non-Gauge)
      Electric Impacts (Battery) – Milwaukee, Snap-On
      Electric Drills (Battery/Corded) – Milwaukee, Makita
      Penetrating Oil – PB Blaster, Sili-Kroil (Has Silicone)
      Assembly Lube – Lubriplate
      Tool Boxes – Snap-On, Mac, Matco, Cornwell, Craftsman Industrial (With optional slides)
      Tool Carts – US General Pro (Starter), Snap-On, Mac, Matco, Cornwell
      Leather Gloves – 1 thick pair, 1 thin pair, 1 spare of each, rough leather for grip
      Nitrile Gloves – Midknight
      Cloth /w Rubber Palm/Fingers – MadGrip (Do not use with solvents, ok in the cold)

If you find any spelling errors or incorrect words pm me i will fix it.

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      DutchieDutchie
      Participant

I have to say, these discussions are interesting, why the tech shut buy his tools, or not. What Chevy pointed out, is i think the best answer, “Here is different, different people different culture”

Gary BrownGary
        Participant

[quote=”Dutchie” post=131823]I have to say, these discussions are interesting, why the tech shut buy his tools, or not. What Chevy pointed out, is i think the best answer, “Here is different, different people different culture”[/quote] There is no “one size fits all” in life or business. Each business is individual and each person is an individual. An indepandant shop shouldn’t have the same policies as a dealer and vice-versa because they have different dymamics. Europe and the USA are two different worlds, what works for one may not work for the other. The sooner people realize that different cases call for different solutions rather than just one umbrella solution, the more successful we will all be in our pursuits.

ScottScott
          Participant

[quote=”Mr Talon” post=122803]Good reading and info. When I started and still do from time to time. Is if I have to borrow a tool 3 times. I guess it should be next on my list to buy because other techs get upset if you always needing something. In the beginning it sucks because yes you don’t know what to buy and not a need to dump 15k on a brand new setup.[/quote]

This is exactly what I did when I started out 25 years ago… Whatever I borrowed most is what I tried to buy next.

SergeySergey
            Participant

Hi, I was looking to buy a spanner+sockets set as a startup.
              Is this 106 piece bahco set worth AU$249?

Can’t find your USA craftsman stuff in Australia, found the GearWrench brand though, have no idea whether it is a good one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
              Participant

Bahco is a subsidiary of Snap-On. I have heard they are decent tools but, I have no experience with them as they are primarily from the UK. The only tools I have used by them are the Universal Pipe Wrench and they are amazing.

SergeySergey
                Participant

Since I can only afford one set of combination wrenches, is it better to start from regular or ratcheting? And if regular, 6 or 12 point?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                  Participant

I would suggest starting with 12pt plain combination wrenches. The reason for this is things that are excessively tight will break ratcheting wrenches. Most things are engineered in such a way that a 12pt wrench will fit. 6pt wrenches are mainly reserved for heavy equipment like tractors and backhoes because there is generally more room.

While ratcheting wrenches make things go a lot faster they are a lot more of a want then a need. You can also cheater wrench the plain combination wrenches so long as you are careful where ratcheting you cannot.

SergeySergey
                    Participant

Would you suggest NWS pliers ? I know that probably knipex or crescent are better but they are expensive and NWS are made in germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                      Participant

I have never used NWS pliers but, they are like the craftsman of Germany if I remember correctly.

SergeySergey
                        Participant

[quote=”MDK22″ post=144647]I have never used NWS pliers but, they are like the craftsman of Germany if I remember correctly.[/quote]
                          And that means they are good or not worth buying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                          Participant

It means good for use every once in a long while but, if it was me Knipex or Channel Lock. Basically it is meant for homeowner use where one might use it 10-15 times in a life time. Where Knipex and Channel Lock can be used hard for 2-3 yrs every single day before you need to regrind cutter or file deformed teeth in pliers etc.

Christopher ShankleChristopher Shankle
                            Participant

If I may ask, what state are you working in where most places offer a minimum for when work goes slowly? I’m in North Carolina and I don’t know of any shop/dealership where everyone is given a minimum. In my shop, the foreman has a 30 a week minimum but only because he threatened to quit. Also, I disagree with the fact that almost every single tool on the list has Snap-On recommended as the brand. I do agree with gearwrench for some of the tools, but my arsenal doesn’t have a single Snap-On tool and the only thing that I’ve ever broken has been a 10$ electric screwdriver from harbor freight. I know a lot of people are stuck on Snap-On but I try not to recommend them to brand new technicians due to the extreme overprice factor. For older techs, however, It’s your money and you can put it wherever you want.

MikeMike
                              Participant

You are in North Carolina, which is not part of the rust belt. You flat out do not need as high quality outside of the rust belt as you do within. We have nuts/bolts that require more torque to break loose and are also corroded and weak on the head surface where our tool engages the fastener. Even with Snap-On I have to torch things 4 out of 5 days a week because of the rust, let alone all the non-torchable things that can’t simply be ‘unscrewed’ or ‘unbolted’ and need to be finessed apart. One of my highly marketable skills is that I can get rusty things apart, then recondition and reuse them.

When I got into this business in Upstate NY 10 years ago, I had a 40hr guarantee (I think is the same as ‘a minimum’) at my first couple jobs. One place had a deal where the hours needed to get me to my 40 hour guarantee were at a lesser wage than my normal wage. Where I was at during the 2008 recession told me “if you want a raise, you have to lose the guarantee. I have not heard of a guarantee in any interview or job since then. That kind of thing disappeared around here.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                                Participant

[quote=”Fopeano” post=144713]You are in North Carolina, which is not part of the rust belt. You flat out do not need as high quality outside of the rust belt as you do within. We have nuts/bolts that require more torque to break loose and are also corroded and weak on the head surface where our tool engages the fastener. Even with Snap-On I have to torch things 4 out of 5 days a week because of the rust, let alone all the non-torchable things that can’t simply be ‘unscrewed’ or ‘unbolted’ and need to be finessed apart. One of my highly marketable skills is that I can get rusty things apart, then recondition and reuse them.
                                  [/quote]

I am currently in VA but, it was the same way in PA. In PA it was a 30hr min at a lower rate but….still a guaranteed minimum.

What Fopeano said is one really good reason why I buy the brands I do. I also doubt you see vehicles from all over the place. I do I see stuff from all over all different brands, etc. When you have enough “hammer” mechanics “fix” stuff you will break your Harbor Freight tools. I am all for saving money but, if it only has Snap-On next to the name it is normally because i have tried or seen other people try the other brands and they do not hold up. If you are doing this for a period of longer then 5 yrs you will waste a lot more time/money then you spend on buying the good brands. I am not a Snap-On fanboy either in fact I hate the brand and try to avoid it if I can. But, unfortunately in some cases it just doesn’t work and you have to buy it. A simple example is that oil filter claw. You get a really tight filter you will break the other brand claws. You will snap the nut portion off or, spread the housing apart, break the gears, what have you.

The fact of the matter is the Snap-On stuff lasts and if it doesn’t its warrantied over and over till they redesign it or discontinue it. Also for 90% of that list there is another brand listed. This is also based on personal experience of what I have seen and used. It also states Suggested Brands which means you are entitled to disagree. I have gone through some cheap tools but, I am very particular about my tools and it regularly saves me time and money being that way. I also took the time and energy out of multiple days to write that entire thing and I stand behind it. Are there other tools that might work I am sure there are but, my job isn’t to buy tools my job is to fix things with my tools. So I list what I know.

I mainly work on Big Rigs at the present moment. My tools stand up to rusted to hell and back again stuff, sea salt cured pieces of metal, all kinds of different chemicals some from what the shops use others from what is stored in the vehicles or where they were parked. I snap cheap things like tooth picks. You have some fasteners that are so bad you need to cut a slot in them just so you can use your screwdriver. Manifold bolts will break ratchets. Drain plugs often require the use of a pipe plug socket, 18in breaker bar and 4ft long pipe to break loose because the impact is your friend. I have literally snapped the welds on the drain plug nut because people use impacts to install them at lube shops. I have had to use an impact to remove a crossthreaded oil filter cap for the canister style. Once you start running into stuff like this cheap stuff will not hold up.

Your tools are an investment. If you want your investment to last you invest well. If you think oh I will just get it replaced let me tell you Snap-On, Mac, Cornwell, Craftsman have been around a long time. Harbor Freight has not. Also harbor freight regularly discontinues things and will not replace them if they do not sell it anymore.

So that is why.

MattMatt
                                  Participant

[quote=”MDK22″ post=144719][quote=”Fopeano” post=144713]You are in North Carolina, which is not part of the rust belt. You flat out do not need as high quality outside of the rust belt as you do within. We have nuts/bolts that require more torque to break loose and are also corroded and weak on the head surface where our tool engages the fastener. Even with Snap-On I have to torch things 4 out of 5 days a week because of the rust, let alone all the non-torchable things that can’t simply be ‘unscrewed’ or ‘unbolted’ and need to be finessed apart. One of my highly marketable skills is that I can get rusty things apart, then recondition and reuse them.
                                    [/quote]

I am currently in VA but, it was the same way in PA. In PA it was a 30hr min at a lower rate but….still a guaranteed minimum.

What Fopeano said is one really good reason why I buy the brands I do. I also doubt you see vehicles from all over the place. I do I see stuff from all over all different brands, etc. When you have enough “hammer” mechanics “fix” stuff you will break your Harbor Freight tools. I am all for saving money but, if it only has Snap-On next to the name it is normally because i have tried or seen other people try the other brands and they do not hold up. If you are doing this for a period of longer then 5 yrs you will waste a lot more time/money then you spend on buying the good brands. I am not a Snap-On fanboy either in fact I hate the brand and try to avoid it if I can. But, unfortunately in some cases it just doesn’t work and you have to buy it. A simple example is that oil filter claw. You get a really tight filter you will break the other brand claws. You will snap the nut portion off or, spread the housing apart, break the gears, what have you.

The fact of the matter is the Snap-On stuff lasts and if it doesn’t its warrantied over and over till they redesign it or discontinue it. Also for 90% of that list there is another brand listed. This is also based on personal experience of what I have seen and used. It also states Suggested Brands which means you are entitled to disagree. I have gone through some cheap tools but, I am very particular about my tools and it regularly saves me time and money being that way. I also took the time and energy out of multiple days to write that entire thing and I stand behind it. Are there other tools that might work I am sure there are but, my job isn’t to buy tools my job is to fix things with my tools. So I list what I know.

I mainly work on Big Rigs at the present moment. My tools stand up to rusted to hell and back again stuff, sea salt cured pieces of metal, all kinds of different chemicals some from what the shops use others from what is stored in the vehicles or where they were parked. I snap cheap things like tooth picks. You have some fasteners that are so bad you need to cut a slot in them just so you can use your screwdriver. Manifold bolts will break ratchets. Drain plugs often require the use of a pipe plug socket, 18in breaker bar and 4ft long pipe to break loose because the impact is your friend. I have literally snapped the welds on the drain plug nut because people use impacts to install them at lube shops. I have had to use an impact to remove a crossthreaded oil filter cap for the canister style. Once you start running into stuff like this cheap stuff will not hold up.

Your tools are an investment. If you want your investment to last you invest well. If you think oh I will just get it replaced let me tell you Snap-On, Mac, Cornwell, Craftsman have been around a long time. Harbor Freight has not. Also harbor freight regularly discontinues things and will not replace them if they do not sell it anymore.

So that is why.[/quote]

I 110% agree with this. I am not a fanboy of any particular brand. But most of my stuff is Macto/Mac/Snap-on for a reason. The stuff works. But more importantly, it works consistently. I also work in the rust belt and some of the cheaper sockets and wrenches will round off a nut or bolt in a heartbeat. Not saying all cheaper tools are bad. Some of them are surprisingly good. But if your going to be working as a professional technician, for the most part you will need to buy professional tools.

Another thing is shop around. A lot of tools from my experience that are sold through Mac/Matco are just rebranded tools. Matco has had a habit of using IR air tools. My mac slide hammer kit is the same exact as someone else’s OTC one. But there is one thing to consider. The original branded things will be cheaper. But the big 3 ones that are rebranded will have a better warranty in most cases.

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…