Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Sold As no problems, CEL on trip home

Sold As no problems, CEL on trip home

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Sold As no problems, CEL on trip home

• Creator
    Topic
    dosmastrdosmastr
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’m not a rich guy…I was saving all year just to drop 3k on a newer car.

I bought a car which was listed as having “no malfunction lamps”.

It looked just like the pictures, it seemed just fine during the test drive, my mechanic buddy looked at it with me in the lot and agreed it looked good. (And now where I fear I lose you) seller has 100percent feedback on over 250 sales, almost all with 5 stars

The drive home was 20miles of mostly highway. At mile 14 the check hybrid light came on, at mile 16 the CEL followed.

Aside from it being a freak thing….
      Looks obvious that the seller just pulled the battery cable and reset the codes, then listed as problem free.
      I already signed on the line …what legal recourse can I take if the dealer won’t cancel the deal or make it right?

I’m honestly pretty scared at this point and would appreciate any suggestions.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      twiggytwiggy
      Participant

Get the codes scanned and found out what you’re dealing with. Also, try to retain a copy of the ad where seller states “no malfunction lamps” for proof in case you need to litigate.

But for now, I would go back to the seller and talk to him. He might surprise you who knows..

dosmastrdosmastr
        Participant

Thanks Twiggy,

I honestly was on the fence about if i wanted to keep it and have a mechanic i found take a look and give me the low down vs turn right around and tell them this isn’t acceptable. Ended up turning around and dropping it back at the lot same day.

I’m really hoping its a freak thing and that 3k isn’t worth them ruining their perfect feedback so they either let me out or fix it…. but I do wish I had gotten the codes read so that I had some information BEFORE handing it back…

twiggytwiggy
          Participant

Hopefully things work out for you. Let me know.

I advise that you talk to the seller politely and explain what happened and give him a chance to make things right. Demanding and showing anger will only put him on the defensive and won’t serve you well.

Jason WhiteJason White
            Participant

If you bought it from a dealer, even an independent dealer, Federal Law states that the vehicle has to pass federal emissions standards for 30 days after sale. If if was private sale, then that isn’t covered.

dosmastrdosmastr
              Participant

I’m wondering if they are trying to run out the clock…. its been 2 weeks since the purchase and they still have it in their shop….

dosmastrdosmastr
                Participant

Looks like I got a seller with some integrity, or a really smart mechanic who knows how to fake it.

Had the car 48 hours, driven about 4 hours in that time, seems to be (finally) as advertized!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…