Menu

spongy pedal after rear brake job

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here spongy pedal after rear brake job

• Creator
    Topic
    CorinneCorinne
    Participant

I’ve a 2007 Toyota Corolla with 212k miles on it. I bought the car with 95k miles and today I did the rear brakes for the first time. I put on new drums and shoes, and when I put the wheels back on I adjusted the star wheel until I heard just a brush of shoe on drum when turning the wheel, each side. I then got in the car and pulled on the park brake handle several times, as I had read that that would actuate the self adjusters. It didn’t seem to develop any less travel, however. I then pumped the brake pedal a couple times, got a firm pedal and then started the car, only to have it go nearly to the floor with the car running. Would not ‘pump up’ firm.

My question is, do I need to bleed the brakes now? If so, why?? I did not open any brake lines or bleeder valves to do this job. I DID flail around with the shoes trying to get the new springs on (man those Toyota drums are tiny, the last drum brake job I did was on an 18-wheeler 20 years ago!) and at one point I saw a drop or two of brake fluid come from the wheel cylinder. This alarmed me greatly, did I burst a seal when the shoes were flailing back and forth around the cylinder as I tried to attach the springs? However, I pumped the brakes a few times trying to get the pedal to firm up and then looked under the car and did not see any brake fluid leaking.

OR, should I further adjust the self adjusters to try and get a better brake pedal feel? What really actuates the self adjusters on a Toyota? I always thought they actuated when applying the brakes while going in reverse. I’m afraid to drive right now other than in my driveway.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BillBill
      Participant

I would inspect your work just to be sure and if ok try adjusting them a little tighter. There should be a slight drag when the wheel is turned. Once the shoes seat into the drums using the park brake should keep them adjusted.

CorinneCorinne
        Participant

Thanks, I watched Eric’s drum brake replacement video before I started and he said too loose was better than too tight, so I was unsure how much to adjust them up at first. I had just a bare touch of shoe on drum, in only one spot each side, when I first put it back together. I’ll adjust them up a bit more tomorrow morning. (And double check my work, but I took pictures of the old brakes before taking them apart and I’m sure I put it back together correctly)

JoeJoe
          Participant

you need to replace the wheel cylinder if it’s leaking. it’s at least part of your problem.

richiepearcerichiepearce
            Participant

If fluid can get out air will usually find a way in. Replace slave cylinder if it is leaking, bleed brake system, this will be a good time to renew the fluid as well.
              It is usual to have some pedal travel when the engine is started and the servo kicks in.

CorinneCorinne
              Participant

Readjusted the brakes this morning, bled three lines. Could not get the 4th bleeder valve open and opted to leave it be rather than break it off, especially since I had to get to work. All is now well in the pedal travel arena. However I now have a mildly leaking bleeder valve in the rear! Figure I’ll just go ahead and replace the wheel cylinders (the one that won’t open is on the other rear) since I do have 212K miles on the car. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                Participant

The drum pretty much aligns where the shoes are. If you don’t know this you will be way loose. What I do is slide the drum on and off as I play with the adjuster. BTW, this works really well with new or turned drums. However, not so hot with grooved drums.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                  Keymaster

Sounds like you’re making progress. As for the leaking bleeders, you’ll probably have to replace what they’re attached to if you can’t get them to seat better. Try cleaning them up with a wire wheel first. FYI, when I run into that issue where I can’t open a bleeder valve, I just crack the line loose and bleed it from there. It’s messy but it works.

More info on brakes here.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-brake-problems

Good luck and keep us posted.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…