Menu

SSR coming out of storage

• Creator
    Topic
    MariaMaria
    Participant

Due to the death of my husband, my SSR was in storage for two years. What all should I have done before I even start it. Sorry to be dumb but I’m getting the most outrageous quotes on its needs. It is an SSR and has a LS2 in it. Soooooo tired of getting ripped off. I have always heard you should never start a corvette engine with ‘old gas’. HELP

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

I’ll try to keep this as simple as possible.
        1 Hand turn the engine to ensure it is not locked up.
        2 Try pumping the brake pedal several times (with out the engine running to check for any leaks)
        3 Charge or replace the battery
        4 Change the oil and filter
        5 Check and top off all fluids
        6 Inspect the tires for dry rot and fill with air, also hoses ( pretty much any rubber components )
        7 If there is any fuel in the tank, remove it and refill with fresh gas and change the fuel filter
        8 Cycle the key (without cranking the engine) several times to prime the fuel system
        9 Start the engine and let it run for a few minutes
        10 If the battery was dead, chances are the computer (ECM) has gone into a reset mode.
        You’ll need to drive the car in order for the ECM to relearn its fuel mapping and complete a drive cycle.
        A car sitting for any length of time, you can expect seals to be dry along with hose connections.
        So leaks are not uncommon.
        If they persist, you may need to replace the ones that are leaking badly.
        Afterwards, consider flushing the cooling system, brake fluid and transmission fluid.
        Another item to make note..
        Depending where the vehicle was stored, you may have rodent damage (they love to nest) wiring ETC so be prepared.

BluesnutBluesnut
        Participant

Environmental conditions play a part in what may be needed. One thing for sure is that the old gas needs to come out and replaced with fresh gasoline.
          This is NOT a Corvette thing….

In some cases old gas can kill the fuel pump; either immediately or after a short time in operation.

I take a little offense with your comment about being “sooooo tired of getting ripped off”.
          So explain who and how you were ripped off…..

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…