Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Stabilizer bushing replacement on 2001 Windstar

Stabilizer bushing replacement on 2001 Windstar

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Stabilizer bushing replacement on 2001 Windstar

• Creator
    Topic
    GarthGarth
    Participant

I’m preparing to replace the stabilizer bushings on my 2001 Windstar and I was reading through my Haynes manual of the procedure. In order to access the bushing clamp bolts the subframe needs to be lowered. In the reassembly instructions the manual says to install a new subframe bolt. I phoned the Ford dealership to see if they sell them and the parts guy said that because of the age of my vehicle, they weren’t available. This leads me to wondering how critical it is to replace the subframe bolts with new ones? Would thread lock be an acceptable alternative or are these subframe bolts specially designed so that they become a one time use thing? If anyone has any experience in this area, I’d appreciate some advice before taking things apart. Thanks

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      willy johnsonwaleed
      Participant

If they arent badly damaged, chewed up, or threads stretched you can likely reuse them. Most shops would do that, and not worry about it anyways.

PS are the bushings actually bad or worn out? Many times if its just making noise you can spray penetrating fluid on it, and the noise will go away

GarthGarth
        Participant

I’m quite sure the bushings are in need of repair. The stabilizer bar has a fair bit of play. I am able to move the bar back and forth which I don’t think it should be doing. The vehicle “clunks” any time you hit a rut or unevenness on the road. I changed the stabilizer links already and the clunking didn’t go away so I’m quite sure the bushings are the culprit.
          Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my post.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…