Menu

start hesitation problem

• Creator
    Topic
    rickrick
    Participant

94 accord ex 2.2 MFI SOHC. 290000 miles Kept up really good as far as oil changes and whatnot.

OK so heres whats happening. First start of the day is fine despite the exhuast smells rich. warm it up drive to my destination just fine. get back in the car, (anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes later depending on ambient temp and how cool the car has gotten.) try to start it and it acts like its not getting fuel. the other day i tried to start it after warmup and it had a hard spot or two cranking over like it was flooding out. its only getting worse and have no idea where to turn to. fuel pump was replaced about a year ago. fuel filter also. starter is a reman i bought about 2 years ago.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BillBill
      Participant

It’s possible it has a bad main relay. Listen for the fuel pump when you turn on the key. If you can’t hear the pump run chances are good the main relay is bad.

rickrick
        Participant

i have a really bad problem with being vague. it does start. just takes more cranks then it should. and sometimes it bogs out really bad during like its flooding out. i had to resolder the main relay once. since then its never given me a problem. now i just need to figure out what to look for and where to look. O2 has been replaced less than a year ago.didnt help. ran through the intake and cleaned the IAC,fast idle solenoid and throttle body to see if that helped too. nope. did a vacuum check, no leaks. fuel pressure check, 45 lbs stable at idle with vacuum pinched on FPR. stumped.

TomTom
          Participant

Perhaps injectors are leaking some while it is sitting, causing a rich condition when you try to start it.

rickrick
            Participant

thats something i havent looked into yet. going to be honest, wouldnt know how to check that.

JulianJulian
              Participant

would unscrewing a spark plug and checking for it being drenched in fuel tell you if the injectors are flooding?

Perhaps putting the gas pedal to the floor to clear the flood get it started sooner?

college mancollege man
                  rickrick
                  Participant

so after researching and researching, broke down bought a chilton (haynes, whatever same diff.). still couldnt find anything. had the injectors tested. they are all good, but dirty. so i had them cleaned at a shop for a not bad price. i also had him check the fuel system. bad FPR. since then it has plenty of pep. its bck to its old self again. thanks guys.

college mancollege man

glad it worked out. Thanks for the update and the fix. 🙂

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…