Menu

Starter clicking no start

• Creator
    Topic
    Ted WiluszTed Wilusz
    Participant

I have an 88 civic dx hatchbackback automatic. 1.5. The problem i have is intermittent. Most of the time the car will start. Occasionally the starter will just click. Have to cycle key 4-5 times then it starts. This issue got to a point to where the car would not start without jumping starter. I have replaced the following
      Battery, negative cable , positive battery end ,the entire ignition switch. It came with new lock and key and the housing new ignition switch. I have cleaned the grounds. All that I could find. Any ideas of what else I can check. Getting aggrivated with it not wanting to start.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Might have a look at the starter itself.

Ted WiluszTed Wilusz
        Participant

Had starter rebuilt. Took back and they checked it out. Starter has lifetime warranty. Did not come from auto parts store. Took to a shop that rebuilds starter and alternators only. Do these cars have starter relays?

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant
            Ted WiluszTed Wilusz
            Participant

I will check and see what kind of readings I get when I check that. I have been looking at wiring diagram. The only thing I have not replaced is the neutral safety switch.
              Thank you for the link. And Thank you for the reply.

Jake FJake F
              Participant

Good call on the relays. Our OBD1 systems are very hard to diagnose because the ECU does everything for the vehicle and not for us. If you can replicate your problem when another person is around. Have them about to turn on the car while your finger is on the starter relay (big 1 inch cubed box), under your hood. And if you feel a click. Your starer is fine. mmkay

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…