Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Steel wheel / winter wheel maintenance.

Steel wheel / winter wheel maintenance.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Repair Central-The ‘How To’ Forum Steel wheel / winter wheel maintenance.

• Creator
    Topic
    JamieJamie
    Participant

For those of us who have to own a set of good winter tires the normal practice is to have them mounted onto a cheap set of steel wheels. Even if you score a set of high quality OEM steelies a winters worth of moisture, salt and brine is enough to start dissolving them. I learnt this trick a few years back and found it a nice way to help improve the life of a wheel before it rusts into oblivion.

Steel wheels are welded in 2 pieces. And they’re usually not a continuous weld. Meaning where the center plate and the barrel meet is a gap. Simple enough. Right from new or even if they’re older and have rubber mounted give them a good wash and let them dry out in the sun. Dribble some mineral spirits or acetone down the gaps via the back and front if you can to clean out any of the debris. After its had some time to dry get yourself some paraffin wax. Shave some off and melt it in some sort of dish that’s sat in boiling water on the stove. When its melted pour it into the open seems on the wheels from the back side. You’ll know its gone through when some has run out the front side. You can then dip a rag or spunge in the same stuff and lightly wipe the inside of the rim, espessialy over the welds and it will also help.

I bought a set of good steelies off a guy who used to do this, hense learned it myself. Those wheels have no rust on them at all. Since then I’ve done multiple sets of winter and summer steelies and at the end of the day no rust or decay is to be found.

Easy and cheap rust prevention is the best!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Loading…