Menu

Steering not return to center

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Steering not return to center

• Creator
    Topic
    pbhalalapbhalala
    Participant

Hi,

I have 2006 Accord V4 SE. Some how steering is not return to the center after the turn. Need to turn manually. Steering is smooth.
      I bought used car few years back. No accident in history. Two time alignment performed. New tires. But still have that problem. New brake and new rotor in the front.

Thanks.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Shaun_300Shaun_300
      Participant

Pretty well guaranteed the strut bearings are seized. Do you hear any noises when turning from left to right? A lot of times a seized strut bearing will cause a “bung bung bung” noise while turning due to the coil spring winding or unwinding then snapping back to their relaxed position.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

Strut bearings are a possibility and worth looking into but I would also want to see the caster readings on the alignment. I believe that suspension is set up for 0 caster but if it’s forward a little bit you will have trouble with steering wheel return. I know there isn’t an adjustment for caster on that vehicle but perhaps they could shift the subframe to make it come into spec if you don’t find the cause elsewhere.

pbhalalapbhalala
          Participant

Thanks for the reply. I don’t hear any noise when turning right or left. This is my alignment reading from the last time.

Front: Left Front: Right
            Actual Specified range Actual Specified range
            0.4 -0.8 0.8 Camber 0.0 -0.8 0.8
            3.0 2.5 4.0 Caster 3.4 2.5 4.0
            0.02 -0.08 0.08 Toe -0.01 -0.08 0.08

Front
            Actual Specified Range
            Cross Camber 0.4 -0.8 0.8
            Cross Caster -0.4
            Cross SAI -0.2
            Total Toe 0.01 -0.16 0.16

dwalmopdwalmop
            Participant

That is plenty of caster. You have something else going on there (such as the previously suggested strut bearings).

dreamer2355dreamer2355
              Participant

I would have them re check there alignment as as caster does affect how the steering wheel reacts during turning.

How does the steering feel in general when making tight parking turns or normal town driving turns?

Did you check the operation of your power steering system?

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

I agree that should be plenty of caster, you may have a problem with strut bearings as suggested or there may be a problem with the PS rack or some other suspension component.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…