Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Steering wheel has limited rotation. Can’t steer to the left, barely steers to right. 2000 Durango

Steering wheel has limited rotation. Can’t steer to the left, barely steers to right. 2000 Durango

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Steering wheel has limited rotation. Can’t steer to the left, barely steers to right. 2000 Durango

• Creator
    Topic
    Sparky005sSparky005s
    Participant

2000 Dodge Durango 4×4 4.7 liter.

I am hoping someone here can help….

My daughter drives our 2000 Durango 4×4 4.7 liter. Her friend took it for a joyride and ran it into a ditch (we think). The passenger side ball joint appeared to be broken, the wheel was askew. The kid’s dad had his mechanic work on it. All they did was repair the ball joint, which he said he replaced with a used one.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

what you could do is with the steering coupler removed.
        The wheels straight. you will need to turn the steering wheel
        all the way to the left and then all the way to the right. you will
        need to count how many full steering wheel turns from lock
        to lock. then split the difference center the wheel and put the
        coupling back on and get the vehicle to an alignment shop.
        Your front end geometry is way out of whack. unless you can
        drive the vehicle the way it is to the alignment shop. also
        look at the steering joints to make sure no binding.

rice400rice400
        Participant

Why the H would they ever want to replace a ball joint with another used one?

Sparky005sSparky005s
          Participant

Quoted From college man:

what you could do is with the steering coupler removed.
            The wheels straight. you will need to turn the steering wheel
            all the way to the left and then all the way to the right. you will
            need to count how many full steering wheel turns from lock
            to lock. then split the difference center the wheel and put the
            coupling back on and get the vehicle to an alignment shop.
            Your front end geometry is way out of whack. unless you can
            drive the vehicle the way it is to the alignment shop. also
            look at the steering joints to make sure no binding.

Two things: I thought that turning the steering wheel a lot with it disconnected from the pinion could cause damage to the clockspring. Secondly, I don’t think it’s an alignment issue. if the alignment is off, which I’m sure it is, why would it not turn when the steering is connected, but it will turn when the steering is not connected?

moparfanmoparfan
            Participant

sounds like one of the joints from steering wheel to the rack is binding up. mite check and make sure non of the joints are at to much of an angle or anything in the way.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
              Participant

I would be checking the steering u-joints as suggested above. However, id be suspicious of why the ‘mechanic’ tried to align it. It seems like there may have been more damage than just a ball joint and wheel. Do you have the alignment print out?

I would be taking it to a qualified repair facility and having the person who damaged it foot the bill.

Keep us posted.

college mancollege man

Quoted From Sparky005s:

Two things: I thought that turning the steering wheel a lot with it disconnected from the pinion could cause damage to the clockspring. Secondly, I don’t think it’s an alignment issue. if the alignment is off, which I’m sure it is, why would it not turn when the steering is connected, but it will turn when the steering is not connected?

I had a blonde moment about turning the wheel round and round with the coupling disconnected.
                  check for binding or bent parts from the steering shaft to the rack. actually
                  if it is disconnected does the wheel move freely?

3SheetsDiesel3SheetsDiesel
                  Participant

When you’ve got the steering wheel disconnected from everything, be gentle when you turn it or else you’ll damage the clockspring. You’ll feel it when the clockspring reaches the end of it’s travel.

Sparky005sSparky005s
                    Participant

Quoted From college man:

I had a blonde moment about turning the wheel round and round with the coupling disconnected.
                      check for binding or bent parts from the steering shaft to the rack. actually
                      if it is disconnected does the wheel move freely?

Yes, the steering wheel moves easily when it is disconnected from the rack, but it does not move freely when it is connected. I thought the rack and pinion assembly was damaged so I replaced it, along with the outer tie rods and the power steering pump.

Sparky005sSparky005s
                      Participant

Quoted From dreamer2355:

I would be checking the steering u-joints as suggested above. However, id be suspicious of why the ‘mechanic’ tried to align it. It seems like there may have been more damage than just a ball joint and wheel. Do you have the alignment print out?

I would be taking it to a qualified repair facility and having the person who damaged it foot the bill.

Keep us posted.

I share your suspicions. No, I don’t have any alignment print out. I never even met the mechanic, and I don’t know if he had anything that high tech. I don’t think I’m going to be getting anything else out of this guy so I’m on my own.

What do I look for on the U joints to tell if any are bad? What about the gear that the shaft connects to at the steering wheel.

moparfanmoparfan
                        Participant

first before connecting it back up just move the joints in all direction and they all should mover free and smooth. once connected back as it should be. have some one turn the steering wheel each way while you watch each joint looking for any binding. such as any yokes touching one another or any other part. there just has to be something holding you up within that shaft from the rack to the steering wheel.

college mancollege man

Quoted From moparfan:

first before connecting it back up just move the joints in all direction and they all should mover free and smooth. once connected back as it should be. have some one turn the steering wheel each way while you watch each joint looking for any binding. such as any yokes touching one another or any other part. there just has to be something holding you up within that shaft from the rack to the steering wheel.

If everything moves free when disconnected.
                            than the issue must be in the steering joints
                            as suggested someone needs to turn the wheel
                            while someone checks for binding.

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/sho … hp?t=82856

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                            Keymaster

I think you’re on track with the rack not being installed correctly however did I read you correctly that you replace it again and still have the problem? The first thing I thought of was that they didn’t have the wheels straight ahead when they replaced the rack and connected it to the column but if you’ve replaced it again and installed it properly I’m stumped as to what the problem could be at this point other than something broken or bent on the suspension and if all that was done was a ball joint (used? seriously?) and they can’t align the truck something else is bent or broken is what that tells me. It could be a control arm or perhaps even the frame but I would still have a hard time wrapping my mind around that causing such a severe steering issue. Keep us posted on this one.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…