Menu

steering

• Creator
    Topic
    Montess2487Montess2487
    Participant

I have a 99 montecarlo LS when I turn the wheel all the way to the left you hear a rubbing sound then when it the retract coming back from the left it bangs. What could that be anyone?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      3SheetsDiesel3SheetsDiesel
      Participant

Possibly worn out suspension pieces, like lower ball joints, tie rods, lower control arm bushings, etc. You’ll need to jack up the car and let the suspension hang free and shake the wheel side to side and then up and down to see if there is any movement. What I mean by shake the wheel is picture the tire as a clock face. Place a hand at the 3 o’clock position, and one at 9 o’clock and then shake the wheel side to side. Abnormal movement in that direction is typically indicative of worn tierods and control arm bushings. Worn out ball joints will occasionall ymove in this direction as well. After that’s done, place a hand at the 12 o’clock position and one at 6 o’clock and move the wheel up and down. Movement in this direction is usually indicative of worn out wheel bearings (which on your car are very easy to replace, as the wheel hub and bearing are a single sealed unit), but it could also be the lower ball joint or loose suspension fasteners (such as the bolts attaching the knuckle to the strut).

The banging moise you’re hearing could have lots of possible causes. Potentially it’s simply a side effect of whatever is causing the rubbing sound. It could also be the sound of something wearing out completely or something that has broken and is banging aroudn in the front suspension. Make sure you take a close look at all the bushings in the front end. I mean the ones in the lower control arms, the steering rack, the subframe, all of them. Hopefully this helps.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…