Menu

Stuck coolant hose

• Creator
    Topic
    Rahul JonesRahul Jones
    Participant

Hey guys,

I was doing a coolant flush on my car as it was too rusty but the lower radiator hose was glued previously by someone with silicone glue I believe. There is no room to use a blade to free it. Is there any other suggestions? :dry:

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

Take the other end off for your flush. It was probably sealed because the hose is junk and will leak without being resealed again. If it’s over a corroded aluminum nipple on the engine, it will have to be sanded smooth again or a new hose won’t seal in the long-term either.

As for getting the siliconed hose apart, you have to use some sort of pick that you can run around the diameter between the hose and the nipple. I have variety of different picks/hooks for doing this no matter what the angle is. You may have to buy something special in this case. I usually use a standard 90° pick that point has been dulled/blunted slightly on (so it doesn’t tear the piss out of the hose inside), but I also have a set of “radiator hose picks” that covers all the oddball angles I run into. There are many brands and places to get them, but they are called “radiator hose picks” so that’s what to search for. Mayhew is the best quality picks/prybars outside tool truck brands and are of equally high quality.

Rahul JonesRahul Jones
        Participant

Thanks. I was struggling to find the tool too. Now I found it…..

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…