Menu

Stuck Oil Pan Drain Bolt

• Creator
    Topic
    AmitAmit
    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziL0m_i_Ags

Please watch the video of me demonstrating my extremely tight oil pan drain bolt on my 2010 CRV. I tried with the ratchet wrench, boxed wrench, crescent wrench, vise-grip, and now my 20V impact driver. Any suggestions will be greatly welcome.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

Use a 6 point socket and a 3 foot breaker bar. If that doesn’t get it loose you have bigger issues.

Karl

RandyRandy
        Participant

Use the box end wrench again, but this time grab a hammer and hit the end like it owes you money.

The seal can set up tight on drain plugs if they are installed dry (no oil on the
          seal).

Jason Alexmckrishes
          Participant

Use a stronger impact, but that will cost a lot of money. You can use penetrating oil and heat. Be careful when using the breaker bar. You don’t want to shear the head of from it being too tight. That would make for a bad day.

CharlesCharles
            Participant

The “Impact” you are using is a glorified screw driver, handy but not very effective on cars. It will be fine for very small fasteners but not suitable for anything substantial. Don’t expect to have great success with anything that delivers less than 500 ft lbs. I speak to lug nuts, suspension fasteners, etc. I agree with TOYOTAKARL even a cheap breaker bar would be a good investment.

AmitAmit
              Participant

[quote=”hotshot” post=184531]Use the box end wrench again, but this time grab a hammer and hit the end like it owes you money.

The seal can set up tight on drain plugs if they are installed dry (no oil on the
                seal).[/quote]

I tried that already but the wrench just falls off. I even tried hammering the socket wrench. Anybody know what’s the yellow stuff on the drain bolt? Is that just a marker or loctite? There is a possibility that the shop that did this work used pneumatic wrench or cross-threaded it.

Getting a drain bolt off shouldn’t be this hard, right?

zerozero
                Participant

[quote=”ToyotaKarl” post=184530]Use a 6 point socket and a 3 foot breaker bar. If that doesn’t get it loose you have bigger issues.

Karl[/quote]

When you have to apply that much force, for the love of god, only use a tool with the proper fit. Anything 12 point on a 6 point fastener is an express route to a stripped fastener.

Go buy a breaker bar, use a proper socket and have at it.

The yellow stuff is paint that some shops use as a tamper seal so you can’t go back and say they didn’t tighten up your drainplug and they owe you an engine.

RandyRandy
                  Participant

Falls off? Hold the wrench end down on the plug nut with your other hand. Assuming you’re turning CCW direction, Lol.

Make sure the combination wrench is the correct size & a 6 point like Karl stated.

You may want to get another (new) plug before you attack it again.

AmitAmit
                    Participant

[quote=”hotshot” post=184551]Falls off? Hold the wrench end down on the plug nut with your other hand. Assuming you’re turning CCW direction, Lol.

Make sure the combination wrench is the correct size & a 6 point like Karl stated.

You may want to get another (new) plug before you attack it again.[/quote]

I have ordered a go-2 socket and 3/8″ 3-foot breaker bar. It should be here in a couple days and then I will try again. Yes, I am turning counter-clockwise. Trust me! This isn’t the first time I am changing the oil. Just the last time, I was too busy and I gave it to a garage near work to do the oil change so I could get on the road trip on the weekend. I am using a 6-point socket as well.

Billy AndrewsBilly
                      Participant

My last trip to Jiffy Lube, 8 years ago, cost me an oil pan.

AmitAmit
                        Participant

Folks
                          Just wanted to close the loop on this issue. I finally got the drain bolt loose. I got an 18″ breaker bar but the socket kept falling off. I bought the Irwin bolt extractor kit and that gripped enough to get the bolt loose with the breaker bar.

Billy AndrewsBilly
                          Participant

Nice work, thanks for posting the resolution.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…