Menu

Stumped on a steering issue

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Stumped on a steering issue

• Creator
    Topic
    Stephen BowenStephen Bowen
    Participant

What we’ve got:

1994 Ford Bronco 5.8 V8.

Concern:

When driving along, it steers fine. It has the usual Ford wander a touch with the steering, but does fairly well. Steering wheel is a little off center, but the last owner was a bit of an DIY-Idiot.

When making a right hand turn from a stop, the steering wheel returns to center fine. When it hits the ‘center’ spot- About a second later the wheel will jerk and pull hard to the left! It will continue to pull for a few seconds and then suddenly just release back to normal steering. It does this slightly when doing a left hand turn-and at times when it releases back to normal it will kinda pull right/left/right/left like a mild shudder.

It’s to the point we really don’t drive it anymore. If not on the ball when doing a turn-it will really just jerk the wheel out of your hand.

What we’ve done so far (with recommendations from a Bronco forum)

Steering box checked to ensure no loose bolts. Tight.

Linkage checked (Ball joints included) We had major issues, as the PO replaced the ball joints. Apparently he didn’t know enough to continue to grease them after the install. Dry as a pop corn fart. Everything greased and smooth now. Used Moly based grease. (had good luck with it on Fords) No loose parts, it’s all good.

Steering box appears to be okay for operation. We’ve only done this at a standstill. It moves smoothly in all directions. (This is when sitting still however)

Suggested to check the wheel bearings and hubs. Found the RF was pretty bad. The locking hub (WARN) was blown apart. The PO did his own brake job, but failed to install the locking hub correctly. The entire spindle/bearing area was totally loaded with aluminum shavings. Needless to say the wheel bearings where scored up and loose.
      —–We replaced the wheel bearings (sidenote: Never buy Advance Auto’s house brand bearings. Inside diameter of the inner bearing wayyyyyy to small. It went on 1/8″ and seized up tight. Test fitted the timken bearing the PO used. Snug but slid on fairly well.)

Okay, replaced the wheel bearings and hub. No play in the bearings anymore. Spins fairly smooth.

Put ‘er all back together? And the problems are still present. In fact it seems worse?!?. (But this problem has gotten progressively bad each time we drive it…. So it may have nothing to do with the repairs, just poor timing)

Now we’ve been told to check U-Joints, hubs, etc.. I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around this. This happens when the hubs are unlocked and the 4wd is shut off. So if you think about it? The U-Joints shouldn’t even be spinning or in play at this point. That’s not to say the front U-Joints aren’t bad- As when the hubs are ‘locked’ we do have some binding. However that’s only when the hubs are locked. We haven’t had the $$ to replace them yet. But considering the hubs are not locked- I just have a problem when people say “You’re front U-Joints are causing this”…. Because the hubs are not locked and the axle isn’t spinning.

I’m planning on getting the front end off the ground and run it…and move the wheel L/R and such. Just to see if we might have some issue with the gear box that haven’t been discovered yet.

Normally I’m good with steering and suspension. This one really has me stumped.

Ideas are welcome! I’ll be doing more work on it over the next week or two.

S-

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Sounds as if your direction is correct.
        If all the bearings,hubs and steering are in good shape.
        My next thought would be to check all the bushings for wear, causing movement somewhere in the front end.
        Next would be the power steering pump operation.

Participant

[quote=”nightflyr” post=188196]Sounds as if your direction is correct.
          If all the bearings,hubs and steering are in good shape.
          My next thought would be to check all the bushings for wear, causing movement somewhere in the front end.
          Next would be the power steering pump operation.[/quote]

Well the direction of the truck isn’t correct…..LOL

I’ll be spending more time on it later on. Power steering pump is the old reliable ford pump (The power steering itself has great assist when it’s sitting still. No need for Popeye arms when trying to turn)

I did some basic checks on the bushings to the twin traction beam. They are tired, but not loose to the point there’s a lot of slop. I looked for broken rubber chucks, etc. Everything on the bushings of course flexes when turning and such, but this hard “Jerk” to the left seems more like something has grabbed the wheel and turns it with moderate pressure to the left. (And to the right to a smaller degree.)

When we get the wheels off the ground and do more testing- I think something might present itself. Still unsure what to think about the U-Joint issue for the front drive axles. Yeah there’s need of replacement (minor binding) But the hubs aren’t locked? Just really puzzled.

Have a good day! I’m off to work and I’ll ponder as I have a 2 hour drive today.

S-

Participant

We went out before the Jumbo Sized mosquito express came out…. Jacked up the front end and started the truck. I had the wife steer all the way Left and Right and manually returned it to center. (that’s a PITA…) Steering Gear box is okay.

Double checked ball joints (suggestion by our complex manager. He’s a retired “Gear Head” himself and knows a lot more about 4wd then I’ll ever know) Ball Joints? All good.

Another test drive…..This time it’s starting to get a bit jerky with the wheel…. Parked it and I wanted to double check bushings and such. Noted the wheel would only turn 1/4 before sounding the gear box “High Pressure” alarm!… Crawled under and expected to see a bound up tie rod or center link… What I saw? Blew my mind away.

First, I’m sorry that I didn’t take the U-Joint issue more serious. The complex manager explained what was happening in more detail. The U-Joint on that side needs to flex a bit when the wheel is turned. It’s binding up solid and that’s causing a ‘Pop’ to occur when it releases. And of course, the spindle bearing is likely causing a drag on the axle shaft..which is binding up… And there’s the yank and pull…

So at least that mystery is finally solved!! At the complex managers suggestion.. (plus he loaned me his socket for the 4wd LOL) I’m going to replace all the U-Joints at the front axle. He stated correctly if 1 is toast? The others are not far behind.

So I’ll need to research U-Joint replacement, spindle bearing replacement… And while I’m in there? I’ll also do the Right side differential seal if it’s not to much a PITA.

In the mean while? Can’t drive the ol’ girl… She’ll be down for a couple of weeks pending me getting the $$ for the parts and such.

S-

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…