Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Sugg. VIdeo Topic: Do you think it’s time for a new and improved OBD standard?

Sugg. VIdeo Topic: Do you think it’s time for a new and improved OBD standard?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG Suggestion Box Sugg. VIdeo Topic: Do you think it’s time for a new and improved OBD standard?

• Creator
    Topic
    MikeMike
    Participant

One of the frustrations I have as a DIY amateur mechanic is the lack of the ability to diagnose different systems of a car past retrieving basic OBD II engine codes. It seems you have to have multiple scan tools to do the things you need, sometimes OEM ones, for different make and model vehicles or fancy multi-thousand dollar Snap-on or Autel scan tools that require a lot of money to keep updated year to year.

Do you feel it’s time to develop a new OBD standard (i.e. OBD III) that will standardize more diagnostic functionality between all vehicle manufactures that will be more inclusive of systems such as ABS, SRS, EPB, SAS, Transmission, body control, and Service/Oil reset capabilities?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

I agree with HumbleMechanic on this one, that will likely come about when 5G is implemented. However, I suspect that manufacturers will make things even more proprietary in the process and there will be less DIY capability as a result.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…