Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Technician in training what all do I need to get?

Technician in training what all do I need to get?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only Technician in training what all do I need to get?

• Creator
    Topic
    Alex BarnettAlex Barnett
    Participant

Hey there everyone I’m Alex, I’m currently in school to become an automotive technician and I’m trying to figure out what all tools/misc items I need to purchase before really getting into the field. From school I will be getting a 253 piece tool box with all my wrenches/sockets as well as an Allan key set for metric and SAE, we are also given a digital multimeter. I personally have a Kobalt set that has a set of wrenches, sockets, and screwdriver bits. I’m currently top of my class and my instructor is helping me look at a couple shops as well as a couple dealerships. Before I really make a decision, will I need more tools to start out? Will I need to get more tools if I decide to work at a dealership or independent shop? Like I said I’m new to the field and have plenty of enthusiasm but I want to learn what is going to be needed before I go jumping into something I will wake up and do every day.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Blair WarnerBlair Warner
      Participant

When I started out they expected a decent set of tools I’ll quote the GM ASEP set:

¼ Inch Drive

Drive deep metric socket: 4-15mm
        Drive handle
        Drive ratchet: 4 to 5½ inch in length
        Drive socket set 3/16-3/8 inch (recommended)
        Extension 2 inch
        Extension 6 inch
        [back to top]

½ Inch Drive

Adapter: ¼ to 3/8 inch
        Adapter: 3/8 to ½ inch
        Breaker bar: 18 inch
        Drive extension: 3 inch
        Drive extension: 10 inch
        Drive impact socket: 19mm
        Drive impact socket: 20mm
        Drive impact socket: ¾ and 13/16 inch
        Drive ratchet: 10 inch in length
        Drive socket set: 7/16 to 1 inch
        [back to top]

3/8 Inch Drive

Drive deep metric sockets – 6mm, 8-15mm, 17mm, 20mm
        Drive deep socket set: ¼-7/8 6 point (recommended)
        Drive extension: 1 inch
        Drive extension: 3 inch
        Drive extension: 12 inch
        Drive ratchet: approximately 8 inch
        Drive socket set: – ¼ to 7/8 inch
        Drive spark plug sockets: 5/8 inch and 1 3/16 inch (flex recommended)
        Set Torx drive bits
        Universal
        [back to top]

Pliers

Adjustable joint (channel lock): 12 inch
        Diagonal cutting
        Needle nose
        Slip joint
        Vise grip: 10 inch
        [back to top]

Screwdrivers

All screwdrivers should be purchased as a set.

Phillips: #1, #2 and #3 (total of 3)
        Straight blade: stub, small, medium, medium large, large (total of 5)
        Torx drive
        [back to top]

Wrenches

All wrenches should be purchased as a set.

Allen: metric
        Allen: standard shank
        Combination box and open end: ¼ to 1 inch
        Crescent: 10 inch
        Flare: metric
        Flare: standard
        Metric combination: 9-19mm
        [back to top]

Miscellaneous

Brake tools: return, hold down
        Brass drift
        Chisels: 7/16, 5/8 inch (total of 2)
        Feeler gauges: flat, metric and standard graduations (set)
        Flashlight, with batteries
        Feeler gauge: brass (set)
        Gasket scraper
        Hand file flat with handle 10 inch
        Hammer: ball peen (set)
        Hammer: plastic tip
        Inspection mirror
        Knife
        Measuring tape
        Oil filter wrenches
        Pick-up magnet
        Prybar: pinch or crowbar
        Punches: 1/8, 3/16, 5/16 inch (total of 3)
        Punch: center
        Rubber mallet
        Safety goggles/glasses (instructor approved only)
        Spark plug gap adjusting tool: round wire type 0.024 to 0.080 inch
        Steel rule: 6 inch graduated in 1/64 inch
        Test light: 12 volt
        Tire pressure gauge
        Tool chest, lockable with drawers
        Valve core remover

The best recommendation I can make is talk to both your instructor and whoever you decide you are going to work for. A couple things Ill add get yourself a good set of gloves (I like the blue leather/canvas ones from Harbor Freight.) A 1/4″ battery impact (I use this like most people would use a 3/8 air impact) and a 1/2 air impact and related sockets. Dont fall into the tool truck trap yes there are a ton of great products on there but if you dont have the cash for it you probably dont really need it.

Alex BarnettAlex Barnett
        Participant

Ok awesome, thanks for the list, Ive got a decent bit on that list, definitely a good bit to go but I will get there. I’ve got a set of mechanics impact gloves that i like to use just because they aren’t too thick, grip well, and the best part they have padded guards for my knuckles. Hopefully I will be able to get more as I go, I’ll probably be buying tools forever though haha. I’m going to need a bigger toolbox…. lol

Blair WarnerBlair Warner
          Participant

If this is a trade you intend to be in for a long time yes you will always be buying tools. As everybody says buy the best you can afford. When I started all I could afford were middle of the road brands I found a lot of USA made Craftsman at flea markets and on craigslist on the rare occasion one failed I had it replaced with the china made ones you get at Sears now, if you use your tools correctly you should not be breaking sockets. Unfortunately my old shop was broken into and I lost most of my tools I replaced everything with Taiwanese Kobalt stuff and I absolutely love it very reasonable price and over the course of 3 years I have had 1 3/8 ratchet wear out the people at Lowes replaced it no questions asked.

That said I recently bought a Snap-On 1/2 ratchet and it was worth every penny( bought rebuilt on e-bay for less than half the truck price) and I will be picking up an fhlf80 as a Christmas present to myself. If you’re hands are physically on it all day ratchets and screwdrivers I find pay attention to the handle.

Again shop Craigslist for you’re bigger box Ive been using a waste high Benchtop pro box and an older Craftsman box for quite awhile and they work well enough but can get a little difficult to open and close when full. Id say find a good deal on a tool truck brand or the US General(Harbor Freight) are suppose to be good but I cant confirm.

Alex BarnettAlex Barnett
            Participant

Yea, I have really fell in love with my kobalt set, I have used the tool set again and and again and the more I use them the more I fall in love with them. I have had good luck with craftsman in the past, the tools are in my experience decently made. As time goes on I do want to invest in a snap-on ratchet but definitely not right now. As for toolboxes I’ll keep my eye out for a few, Ive been using this injection molded box for all my misc tools but it broke a few days ago. So Im also going to shop around for one to carry around in my car. I always have that kobalt set and a smaller box of misc tools that I can use in a pinch if I have to or if I’m doing work anywhere else. I’ll definitely do some shopping around. Thanks for all the help so far guys. Definitely a huge help.

BryanBryan
              Participant

Im not to sure if you ever see mastercrafts tools outside of canada. if you do they are pretty good. cheap and lifetime warranty for most tools. if not i tried. goodluck.

curt charlescurt charles
                Participant

You will need a very big hammer. A very long pry bar, and a little ignorance. 👿

Alex BarnettAlex Barnett
                  Participant

haha I think every new technician should have a little ignorance stashed somewhere lol

Eric SchottEric Schott
                    Participant

You will never be done buying tools. Trust me. Guys I work with that have been in the field 20-30 years are still buying. I am a three year tech, and I started with what I thought was a good bit….boy has that changed. You will quickly see what your needs are when you begin working. Remember from ETCG’s video tool factor, guys that work on many makes/models (like an independent shop) usually have a larger variety of tools over someone that works at a dealer specializing on one or two makes. I work at an independent shop and I have had to purchase many tools that friends of mine that decided to go on to a dealer. Just something for thought

FranciscoFrancisco
                      Participant

Im just three years in and it seems like buying tools will never end. Do research on tools not everything needs to be from the big three. I found brands like Aircat, GreyPneumatic, and Sunnex are way cheaper but really good quality. Keep it simple to start, when you find a job either at an independent shop or dealership pay attention to what the senior techs have and how often its needed. And keep in mind when you do start your mostly going to be doing simple tasks that don’t require many tools. The more money you can keep in your pocket the better.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…