Menu

Thanks Eric (Rear Brake Video)

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Thanks Eric (Rear Brake Video)

• Creator
    Topic
    JeffJeff
    Participant

I just wanted to say thanks to Eric for the rear disk brake video. I didn’t know what a rear ratcheting caliper was until I watched this video. Thanks to him I was able to prepare myself for the job by buying this tool: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/LIS0/28600/N0675.oap?ck=Search_specialty+tools_-1_3350&keyword=specialty+tools

One note though: I did the rear brakes on a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix and the caliper is facing the front of the vehicle, not the rear like the Honda in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMcqrb64wa4.

In the case of this Pontiac, the wear indicator would be facing down (opposite of the video) and the pin with the rubber grommet would be at the top (leading edge of the caliper, again the opposite of the video).

Just keep that in mind if you end up doing rear brakes on a Grand Prix or any other car with rear disk brakes with the caliper mounted towards the front of the vehicle.

Again, I love Eric’s videos! I love waiting for the new ones each week!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

Those are good points, thanks for your post. The way I remember where the indicator goes is that it normally goes on the leading edge of the rotor in relationship to the caliper. That said it kinda doesn’t matter because the indicator will work in either direction but it’s common to set it up so that you hear the indicator while in reverse and not while going forward. In other words if you install it opposite the way you describe you will still hear the indicator just going forward instead of reverse.

JeffJeff
        Participant

Cool! Thanks Eric. I didn’t know that. I appreciate it very much.

So, would the pin with the rubber grommet be on the leading edge too?

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

I THINK that’s the way it’s suppose to be but with so many makes out there it’s difficult to make those kinds of generalizations.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…