Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • the mose expensive repair you have done?

the mose expensive repair you have done?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only the mose expensive repair you have done?

• Creator
    Topic
    curt charlescurt charles
    Participant

the other day I did a service on a Mercedes SLR. the cost of the service was about $13,000. the service include the following, oil change and replace 3 oil screens, replace all under body bolts about 120. wheel balance, brake flush, trans flush, diff fluid, bleed low temp circuit, change coolant,
      perform wheel alignment, replace sway bar bushings, replace engine air filter, replace fuel filter, replace system battery and starter battery, replace cabin filter, replace wheel lug nuts and wheel locks. the service is about 36hr but it took only 24hr. and the car only has 1,800 miles and it is a 2006. this was all customer pay.

Attachments:
    Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Shaun_300Shaun_300
      Participant

Wow that’s quite the bill! Most expensive one I did was an engine change in a 2005 Cadillac CTS-V, R&R engine, replaced clutch, rear diff bushing, and wheel alignment, the bill was $16,000. That’s actually the car I got the engine for my truck out of. Did a full rebuild plus a big cam and other upgrades on it, pulled the 4.3L V6 out and dropped in the built LS6 with the factory 5 speed. It’s a sleeper for sure, fun truck to have for a daily driver.

WOTStangWOTStang
        Participant

I’ve had many in the 2-5k range but nothing extravagant. A lot of R&R engines, Interior dissassembly (oh Ford Blend door actuators with plastic teeth, how i hate you..), head gaskets, many 3.1/3.4/3.8 lower intake gaskets all in the thousands, transmission R&R, clutches.. etc. Ive also had quite a few front-end jobs that have been pricy (removing engine subframes, frame bolts and a cab-off on an F150 once) I dont think any of those tickets were over 5k though.

That Mercedes job is incredulous! But i definitely believe it. Any high-end car has horribly high maintenance. Look at ferrari and lamborghini.. Timing chains & clutch discs that are replaced at something like 15-20k miles.. It takes a certain kind of tech that could wake up everyday and do work like that. Im curious to know what their labor rate must be..

AndyAndy
          Participant

The most expensive job I participated in was a body shop job on a GMC Danali pick up. I did a frame swap and the total bill was around $25K. Not sure what percentage of the bill the frame swap was. Best guess was frame price $6K and 36h labor so some where around $9K.

MorganMorgan
            Participant

When i was working at John Deere we had a customer who’s tractor was struck by lightning. It was an insurance pay job, If i remember right we quoted in the ballpark of 32K for all the controllers, terminators, a few wiring harnesses, instrument cluster and labor.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…