Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • the mose expensive repair you have done?

the mose expensive repair you have done?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion the mose expensive repair you have done?

• Creator
    Topic
    curt charlescurt charles
    Participant

the other day I did a service on a Mercedes SLR. the cost of the service was about $13,000. the service include the following, oil change and replace 3 oil screens, replace all under body bolts about 120. wheel balance, brake flush, trans flush, diff fluid, bleed low temp circuit, change coolant,
      perform wheel alignment, replace sway bar bushings, replace engine air filter, replace fuel filter, replace system battery and starter battery, replace cabin filter, replace wheel lug nuts and wheel locks. the service is about 36hr but it took only 24hr. and the car only has 1,800 miles and it is a 2006. this was all customer pay.

Attachments:
    Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Hokiedad4Hokiedad4
      Participant

The four cars in my family together aren’t worth $13k. Wow!!

Our most expensive repair has been the transmission in our 2001 (you guessed it) Odyssey. We’re on our fourth (only one paid for by us). About $4k.

Flemming JacobsenFlemming Jacobsen
        Participant

13K sounds pretty expensive if its a mandated service and Mercedes ask that you replace all the items you listed. Now on the other hand, if the customer asked for those things changed its a completely different ballgame.

Not a mechanic myself, but I did manage to wreck my work car to such a state that it required repairs coming in at 16,000-17,000 US dollars to get it fixed and get it back on the road. The insurance comped up, but I at the same time I am man enough to admit that yes the fault of the accident was technically mine even if i claim there was concessional circumstances. I have pictures if we want pictures in this thread 🙂

curt charlescurt charles
          Participant

all the service I listed is due by time or mileage. the sad thing it will all have to be done in 4 years again

W00DBar0nW00DBar0n
            Participant

Would of been a 797F engine, cab, right/left corner group, deck, and exhaust. Unknown final cost, but the engine alone is 500,000$ so go figure… plus an extra turbo thanks to a lame brain on the other shift who left a rag in the turbo and had it blown through the impeller.

Flemming JacobsenFlemming Jacobsen
              Participant

[quote=”DOC BENZ” post=69947]all the service I listed is due by time or mileage. the sad thing it will all have to be done in 4 years again[/quote]

Thats pretty insane. But then again its a pretty extreme top of the range sports car. And I guess if you paid 3,000,000 US for one here, then another 13k every now and then for service wouldn’t really be a lot to ask.

[quote=”W00DBar0n” post=69948]Would of been a 797F engine, cab, right/left corner group, deck, and exhaust. Unknown final cost, but the engine alone is 500,000$ so go figure… plus an extra turbo thanks to a lame brain on the other shift who left a rag in the turbo and had it blown through the impeller.[/quote]

Aircraft engine or :P?

W00DBar0nW00DBar0n
                Participant

[quote=”TehTDK” post=70057]
                  [quote=”W00DBar0n” post=69948]Would of been a 797F engine, cab, right/left corner group, deck, and exhaust. Unknown final cost, but the engine alone is 500,000$ so go figure… plus an extra turbo thanks to a lame brain on the other shift who left a rag in the turbo and had it blown through the impeller.[/quote]

Aircraft engine or :P?[/quote]

No. A 175 liter 20 cylinder diesel engine with four large turbos.
                  Turbos have an turbine and an impeller in them.

BluesnutBluesnut
                  Participant

From a financial standpoint, the ownership of a car like that combined with the outlay for maintenance and repairs makes the per mile cost staggering and is lunacy; even if money is not an issue with the car owner.

Too bad every customer pay job is not like that though.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…