Menu

The Technician Career Choice.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only The Technician Career Choice.

• Creator
    Topic
    Corey
    Participant

I just turned 21 a few months ago. I am in college for automotive, and I’ve got one more year to go before I graduate.
      As of right now, I’m part of a Chrysler program, and work at a Mopar dealership.
      After I graduate, my local BMW dealership promised me a spot in their STEP program if I come to them with a degree and promising results (which is no problem).

I did not know how to jack up a car…and I didn’t even know what a ratchet was until I was almost 19. It’s insane to see how far I’ve come.

However…lately…I’ve been burnt out.

I am in auto trans class right now…and there is SO much to learn. It got me thinking…
      Why do I want to be a tech? (Thoughts are explained later.)
      When I first started going to college and told myself that this is what I want to do for a living, I was beyond motivated. I was the top dog in all of my automotive classes.
      Once auto trans class rolled around, I’ve kind of lost motivation…

I like working on cars. I like modifying. I like doing big jobs and then having it run perfectly after. I like being able to say that “I” modified my car and didn’t pay someone else to do it.

However…I feel like the profession is a bit of a joke.
      Yes, it’s hard. It’s damn hard. But, I feel like techs don’t have to be as good as they used to be. Instead of using a DMM to diagnose a charging system, you just put a machine on it and it tells you what’s wrong. Seems like that’s how it is for everything. I feel like we’re just pawns of the engineers…which makes me feel degraded and less respectable.

A car comes in the shop.
      Put the scan tool on it, go online, and see if there is a post about it so we can fix it.

7/10 times, the problem has already happened, and we can go in and just fix it. That’s how I feel the profession is. Look up what’s wrong, print the instructions, follow the instructions, and fix it. Anybody can follow instructions and fix something…

Flat-rate is a joke. Tell me…who is the better tech? The one that can fix anything? Or the guy that can pull 50 hours a week because he does new car preps and brake jobs all week?

I’d rather do the tranny, engine, and electrical work for a living, because that actually takes a brain to do. However, it doesn’t pay **** because it’s usually warranty. So, why would I want to do that?

It’s honestly stupid.

I don’t know. Hoping someone with more experience can change my insight on stuff and make me not regret my career…especially since I’m $10k in the hole to it (from buying tools).

I’ve only been in this career for about 1.5 years…so, it’s not REALLY too late. But, getting that 10 grand back would be rough.

Thanks.

Edit: I’m not sure why this thread posted in this topic. I could have sworn I was in the correct topic for this.
      Feel free to move this.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      twiggy
      Participant

Student burnout is normal that nearly everyone I know feels it no matter what field it is. As for connecting a scan tool to diagnose a problem, there still is a need for good electrical troubleshooting skills with a DMM or a scope. For example, the scan tool might tell you the voltage is out of range on an O2 sensor, but it has no way of knowing if the wiring is damaged, ground is open, or if there’s an eletrical short somewhere.

Bruce
        Participant

I have never worked at a dealership and never plan to. So I dont know exactly how it works or what kind of work they really get other than I am sure they get a lot of warranty work that doesnt pay as good as customer pay. But outside of the dealers I know there is plenty of diagnostic work to be done. Yes a lot of times if you replace the part that the code is for it will fix it, but that is not always the case.

But if you do decide not to follow thru with your career choice you can save a lot of money over the years with the knowledge and tools that you now have.

Corey
          Participant

[quote=”twiggy02919″ post=55982]Student burnout is normal that nearly everyone I know feels it no matter what field it is. As for connecting a scan tool to diagnose a problem, there still is a need for good electrical troubleshooting skills with a DMM or a scope. For example, the scan tool might tell you the voltage is out of range on an O2 sensor, but it has no way of knowing if the wiring is damaged, ground is open, or if there’s an eletrical short somewhere.[/quote]

I agree entirely. You can’t just pick ANYONE off of the street and have them be an electrical genius.
            …but I feel the people that CAN fix something electrical when the scan tool isn’t working aren’t valued enough.

[quote=”Superman” post=56011]I have never worked at a dealership and never plan to. So I dont know exactly how it works or what kind of work they really get other than I am sure they get a lot of warranty work that doesnt pay as good as customer pay. But outside of the dealers I know there is plenty of diagnostic work to be done. Yes a lot of times if you replace the part that the code is for it will fix it, but that is not always the case.

But if you do decide not to follow thru with your career choice you can save a lot of money over the years with the knowledge and tools that you now have.[/quote]

You’re 100% right about that. I don’t know. I hope to be doing SOMETHING with cars in whatever career I choose…
            I’d like to work at an independent shop and not worry about warranty work, but…
            99% of all independent shops I’ve seen/worked at are dumps. They’re full of junk and whatever else just stuffed in the corner or against the wall.

From my experience and from what I’ve seen, most dealerships are very clean and professional. I also like how you’re continuously sent to school…so, you’re always learning.
            Its only downfall is…warranty work…

Bruce
            Participant

Yes most true independent shops are atleast a little cluttered. But the chain stores like goodyear and firestone are generally very clean and organized.

nwtech
              Participant

Being burned out is how i feel, I go to work to a full time and a part time job and do the big jobs engines replacements, trannys, electrical, engine tear down and assembly, have a raging tyrant owner chewing everyone’s ass, company wont purchase necessary shop equipment when i come to them with $20,000 in my own tools and box, tell me how thats fair? Its too late to change careers for me after 6 years of doing it professionally I need to use my tools everyday and get dirty its just a way of life, my advice, get outta the dealership and branch out into something that pays like heavy equipment/diesel, marine, aviation, still the same kinda job, Ive worked on cars, heavy trucks, and boats professionally and i prefer the work as well as the environment, keep learning, collecting tools, and gaining experience, it is still possible to make a decent living and love your job

Corey
                Participant

[quote=”nwtech” post=56062]Being burned out is how i feel, I go to work to a full time and a part time job and do the big jobs engines replacements, trannys, electrical, engine tear down and assembly, have a raging tyrant owner chewing everyone’s ass, company wont purchase necessary shop equipment when i come to them with $20,000 in my own tools and box, tell me how thats fair? Its too late to change careers for me after 6 years of doing it professionally I need to use my tools everyday and get dirty its just a way of life, my advice, get outta the dealership and branch out into something that pays like heavy equipment/diesel, marine, aviation, still the same kinda job, Ive worked on cars, heavy trucks, and boats professionally and i prefer the work as well as the environment, keep learning, collecting tools, and gaining experience, it is still possible to make a decent living and love your job[/quote]

I think working on jet engines would be interesting.
                  I’ve also considered working on diesels.

However…from what I’ve seen with the diesel side of things is…the mentality of the customers seems to be “I don’t care how much it costs. Just fix it.”
                  With that kind of attitude, aren’t you expected to pull long days?
                  Like I said…I don’t want to work my life away. I’d rather do my 8 hours and pick up on something the next day if I don’t finish it.
                  I also kind of feel like I’ll never be successful because I don’t want to pull 8-14-hour days like most techs do…

Corey
                  Participant

Another thing I’ve thought about…
                    I feel like my honesty is killing me as opposed to other mechanics.

For example…
                    When I do an oil change, I check over the vehicle for things that may be in need of repair. I check the balljoints, brakes, bushings, etc.
                    Now, if I find a tie rod end has VERY MINOR PLAY, I won’t even mention it.
                    If it has a good bit of play, but isn’t bad enough to fail an inspection, I would RECCOMMEND it and make the customer aware of it.
                    And it just goes from there.

A lot of techs I see…if there is the SLIGHTEST bit of movement in anything, they’ll reccommend it. Now, different parts/brands have different measurements in terms of how much play is allowed. Nobody ever goes and looks up the measurements. So, that play that they’re feeling COULD be normal.

Now, think of it from the customer’s standpoint. They, more than likely, know nothing about cars. So, if you tell them their tie rod end “has movement,” even if it’s probably within spec, they’re going to think, “Well…I should probably get that replaced.”

So, the tech gets the job and makes money.

I don’t do that. So, I’m obviously just going to fall behind.

kevin
                    Participant

[quote=”nwtech” post=56062]Being burned out is how i feel, I go to work to a full time and a part time job and do the big jobs engines replacements, trannys, electrical, engine tear down and assembly, have a raging tyrant owner chewing everyone’s ass, company wont purchase necessary shop equipment when i come to them with $20,000 in my own tools and box, tell me how thats fair? Its too late to change careers for me after 6 years of doing it professionally I need to use my tools everyday and get dirty its just a way of life, my advice, get outta the dealership and branch out into something that pays like heavy equipment/diesel, marine, aviation, still the same kinda job, Ive worked on cars, heavy trucks, and boats professionally and i prefer the work as well as the environment, keep learning, collecting tools, and gaining experience, it is still possible to make a decent living and love your job[/quote]

i work at almost similar place but, at dealership situation that they must be using the shop as tax-write off or something…they were suppose to make this shop as only accesory installation and had after thought of making a dealer with no equipment…napa tranny jack that is joke and engine crane and engine stand borrow from gm’s neighbor….what a gong show…

i spent around 30+k on tools and more coming….i just can’t sit around and wait for them to replace me with cheaper labor who can push things through fast without care for quality..
                      stupid gm and owners just want stupid just push and push…even if they had 15 come back for same person…wouldn’t care less..

myself, as a tech, i have to think about schedules, parts, screaming customers…
                      go wherever to better for each person

Dan
                      Participant

Dude, don’t feel bad I was about to turn 27 in August and didn’t know how to jack a car up, however I knew what a ratchet was, just didn’t know the sizes when it came to 1/4, 1/2 and 3/8 drive :-p

I am into Steering and Suspension class at the moment, at first after the first Electrical Class (the one where Ohm’s law is drilled in your head) I was feeling a little burned mentally… Not to mention at the time I was working overnights… Anyways… Keep your head up. It is a GREAT career to get into, and since you enjoy it, take it in stride. As techs and especially entry level techs, we are going to get shit jobs for a while, that way we can prove to our bosses that we are capable of doing the harder jobs, like engines and trannys or even electrical (which I actually enjoy btw)…

kevin
                        Participant

[quote=”ChevySilverado48″ post=56172]Dude, don’t feel bad I was about to turn 27 in August and didn’t know how to jack a car up, however I knew what a ratchet was, just didn’t know the sizes when it came to 1/4, 1/2 and 3/8 drive :-p

I am into Steering and Suspension class at the moment, at first after the first Electrical Class (the one where Ohm’s law is drilled in your head) I was feeling a little burned mentally… Not to mention at the time I was working overnights… Anyways… Keep your head up. It is a GREAT career to get into, and since you enjoy it, take it in stride. As techs and especially entry level techs, we are going to get shit jobs for a while, that way we can prove to our bosses that we are capable of doing the harder jobs, like engines and trannys or even electrical (which I actually enjoy btw)…[/quote]

personally enjoy electrical…when i am the only one work on it…when you have other people done butcher Flat rate repair on them…awesome…i tell the shop…get it out of here… 😛 :angry:
                          just wait in big shop with more than half of guys f-up and few guys left over do the do it right repair afterwards….

ahahhahahaha….so sad.
                          just keep learning and keep pushing forward

Brian
                          Participant

I am exactly 46 days away till I possibly lose my job with the DoD (Contract exp.) and am currently looking to get into the Automotive Tech. field. I am as you would say starting over, I am in my mid thirties and am scared out of my skull….. BUT and this may not help I however have read many of the responses and all I can say is try to remember maybe why you decided to do this and try to stay focused. My job that I currently do even though may be important to some degree is itself not very rewarding and see no results of my labor ever! I remember getting satisfaction from either fixing my own cars or helping fix someone else’s. I once tried going to school and I was 6 months in for Aviation A&P tech., however some crazy terrorist’s flew their planes into the towers while I was sitting in class! A&P Techs started getting laid off and the industry went down the toilet eventually I had to give that dream of working on planes up. Now here I sit looking forward to doing what I should have done all those years ago and just do it, gone into automotive technology. I will say I am lucky in that I know some people that are successful in this field and their knowledge will be a shot in the arm including one that is nationally well known for his/her automotive performance know how and look forward to picking his/her brain from time to time. I am not looking for free rides into this business and will enjoy this learning experience and will continue to learn maybe that is the key to staying happy in this business…. continue to learn.
                            Good luck to you, and I in the future.

grayson brown
                            Participant

hey dude, we all know how you feel. I went to Universal Tech right after high school for automotive/diesel. I started very motivated and really enjoyed learning. but after a while, with the intense school schedule and working 1 or more part time jobs, i got burnt out. I stopped trying really hard. i started showing up late to class, and even missing whole days on occasion. by the end, i was so far behind, as far as what I should have learned, I was scared to get a job only to be bombarded with jobs I couldnt handle. right when i graduated I was offered a full time job at the retailer I had been working at during school, so I took that and did it for over a year. I didnt think I would ever find a job in my degree path. but with with help of my school they found a job opening for a planned maintenance tech at a small forklift sales and repair company. I had never even thought of working on equipment like that. They asked me to come in for an interview, and hired me on the spot(a big leap of faith). it was scary at first, but every day was better than the one before. i regained my motivating for diagnosing and repair these pieces of equipment, that are not much different the traditional autos. I am very thankful that I just stuck through it and found the exact field that would work for me. I dont know if this will help, but its just my story that, at least at this point in time, i would consider a happy ending

Corey
                              Participant

Don’t get me wrong…I love what I do, to an extent.
                                I mean…I don’t wake up every morning and go, “YAY! I GET TO GO TO WORK!”
                                But, when I’m there, I’m not 100% miserable.

I love the engine work. I love it a lot.
                                Tranmissions…I’m still working on getting better at.
                                It’s cool to see how far I’ve come…because I can fix my own car (usually), and modify my own car. I think it’s more respectable than driving a 1200hp Porsche and saying, “Yeah…I just wrote this shop a blank check and they built it for me.”

However, I still just feel technicians are just pawns of the engineers. I feel like we aren’t doing as hard of work as they are, I guess…
                                All we do is fix what they designed.

I don’t know. If the career weren’t based on flat-rate, I’d be fine (to an extent).
                                I’m determined to find happiness in this career one way or another…
                                My career WILL involve cars. Will I be a tech in the very end?
                                Who knows…
                                But, it will involve cars…and I can use the skills I’ve gained and the tools I’ve bought to help me save money in the future.

Oh…the other thing I don’t like about this career…

What does a great tech make? Maybe $80k tops? And the salary only goes down from there.
                                I expect to be topping out at maybe $60k…
                                Now, I don’t think that’s a lot for how difficult this profession is.

So, I will be (maybe) topping out at $60k. That’s before taxes.
                                Now…think of everything that can go wrong in this business.
                                You can break stuff…damage stuff…etc., and that all comes out of your paycheck.

My one instructor’s son is 21-years-old making $80k a year right now as a worker in the computer science field.
                                That’s ridiculous. No, I don’t claim that profession to be easier…but I think techs should be making that without having to work as hard as most techs do (14 hours a day in the shop, working in the heat, etc.).
                                Not only that…he doesn’t really have to worry about breaking stuff and having it come out of his pay. He doesn’t have to worry about the day being slow and him not turning in any hours.
                                I just feel like I made a bad career choice.

kevin
                                Participant

[quote=”coreychristianclark” post=56753]Don’t get me wrong…I love what I do, to an extent.
                                  I mean…I don’t wake up every morning and go, “YAY! I GET TO GO TO WORK!”
                                  But, when I’m there, I’m not 100% miserable.

I love the engine work. I love it a lot.
                                  Tranmissions…I’m still working on getting better at.
                                  It’s cool to see how far I’ve come…because I can fix my own car (usually), and modify my own car. I think it’s more respectable than driving a 1200hp Porsche and saying, “Yeah…I just wrote this shop a blank check and they built it for me.”

However, I still just feel technicians are just pawns of the engineers. I feel like we aren’t doing as hard of work as they are, I guess…
                                  All we do is fix what they designed.

I don’t know. If the career weren’t based on flat-rate, I’d be fine (to an extent).
                                  I’m determined to find happiness in this career one way or another…
                                  My career WILL involve cars. Will I be a tech in the very end?
                                  Who knows…
                                  But, it will involve cars…and I can use the skills I’ve gained and the tools I’ve bought to help me save money in the future.

Oh…the other thing I don’t like about this career…

What does a great tech make? Maybe $80k tops? And the salary only goes down from there.
                                  I expect to be topping out at maybe $60k…
                                  Now, I don’t think that’s a lot for how difficult this profession is.

So, I will be (maybe) topping out at $60k. That’s before taxes.
                                  Now…think of everything that can go wrong in this business.
                                  You can break stuff…damage stuff…etc., and that all comes out of your paycheck.

My one instructor’s son is 21-years-old making $80k a year right now as a worker in the computer science field.
                                  That’s ridiculous. No, I don’t claim that profession to be easier…but I think techs should be making that without having to work as hard as most techs do (14 hours a day in the shop, working in the heat, etc.).
                                  Not only that…he doesn’t really have to worry about breaking stuff and having it come out of his pay. He doesn’t have to worry about the day being slow and him not turning in any hours.
                                  I just feel like I made a bad career choice.[/quote]

personally, i know someone in my family and friend that does computer engineering and computer programming for living…..let me tell you…not everything is rosy as you think…i had seen my friend working even after 11pm at his own house…because he didn’t want to stay late at work…whenever they had big project, you would have to put in 14-17 hours just to get their project done. i remember he had to be very creative with time spending with family.

my family: he can rest and play at his work but, as long as his projects are done…you are ok..if not, bye…

i know a friend in washington area that he only works 6 months of the year and rest of the year…he goes racing…nice.

Brian
                                  Participant

“Information Technology” depending on where you go… let me just put it this way, not saying you would be happy just doing “IT” work for let’s say for instance…the DoD as a contractor, but I can tell you the “IT Help Desk” Lead Tech only makes about est.$20-$23 hr. and has to put up with a load of crap! You sound like you want to achieve something higher than just an A+/Security+ Cert. program and work in the “IT” field? If this is the case than yes you can make great money working in computers…. but there may be a quality of life aspect to consider here as well as stated before, many people in the computer world although make great money but also sacrifice much in order to do so. Automotive Technology is no different, there is a ton of sacrifice as well but the possibility if good enough you can make a good living at it. In “IT” there are engineers, programmers, and “Grunts”… just like Automotive Tech, and unless you are the engineer or programmer get ready to be in the trenches.
                                    Good luck….. 🙂

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…
                                  situs togel situs togel togel online bo togel situs togel situs togel toto macau agen toto situs togel situs toto bo togel situs togel situs togel resmi situs togel situs toto situs togel situs togel situs togel situs toto togel online situs toto rimbatoto rimbatoto rimbatoto situs toto bo toto situs toto situs togel situs toto slot gacor situs toto https://fbik.unissula.ac.id/bandar/ situs toto slot gacor https://tp.fkip.ulm.ac.id/toto/ slot gacor