Menu

Throttle sticking but only slightly

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Throttle sticking but only slightly

• Creator
    Topic
    siennamansiennaman
    Participant

So I have a 1998 Toyota Sienna LE. I bought it from my girlfriends mom. When I got it, it started fine and did everything it needed to get home. But after driving it for the second time I noticed that whenever I let go of the throttle at any position it would stay there for another half to full second (The engine speed, not the pedal). And it is really scary to be honest (I normally drive my grandmas car [2002 Chevy Impala] with less then 86 thousand miles). I heard that SeaFoam may help a bit, and was wondering on how to do that to my van. Either pictures or a small video.
      I used Mobile 1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 Oil and Heavy Duty Lucas Oil Stabilizer, in my oil change right when I got it. Could the type of oil I used be the problem? The oil is right at the full mark. Also, My van only has 143 thousand miles and I want it to go to 300 thousand. So Any tip would help greatly.
      Thanks

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Third GearThird Gear
      Participant

I second that. Lucas is junk, it’s off the charts as far as viscosity goes. A typical 30wt oil is 10 or 11 cST. Lucas is 110. a low end 50wt oil is about 16 cST.

Mobil 1 is a solid oil that can be found just about anywhere, don’t mess it up with Lucas. You only add that stuff to your engine to keep your oil burning, rod knocking clunker together long enough to sell it.

Yes, make sure the cable isn’t binding or something isn’t holding it up. Next step is to take off the air intake and give the throttle body a good cleaning with an aerosol solvent like a carb cleaner, brake cleaner, or similar.

PhysioexPhysioex
        Participant

Personally I do not use any additives for any of the fluids in my car, and far as I am concerned there are no benefits. Open up the throttle plate and look to see if you notice any build up which can be cleaned with throttle body cleaner.

ark_454SSark_454SS
          Participant

I’d go easy on the oil stabalizer, may change the viscosity, make the oil foam, etc (dk just some thoughts) just run the mobil 1 its a good enough oil to get you 300k. If the van is cable (not electric throttle body) just go to a parts store find some cable lube and quirt a little down the cable shroud deal and maybe inside if you can get to it.

Thrasher

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

It’s sounds like you may have binding throttle linkage or cable or a dirty throttle body. Here is a link to a video I did on cleaning a throttle body, I recommend doing that to start with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41yFXjibtLY

As for the oil I would recommend you go back to regular oil, if you use synthetic in an engine that old you may cause every slight oil leak to become a BIG oil leak for starters, also the only real benefit you would get from running synthetic is an extended oil change interval. In my experience if you just change the oil on a regular basis and use the viscosity the engine calls for it will last a good long time without spending an arm and a leg whenever you change it.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…