Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Timing Belt Age – Important or Not?

Timing Belt Age – Important or Not?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Timing Belt Age – Important or Not?

• Creator
    Topic
    Gene KapoleiGene
    Participant

A buddy offered me a real Honda timing belt to use on my vintage Accord. I have found these on line from dealers for 45-60$, so I am tempted.

Belt comes in an OEM box which has the correct OEM part number. Belt looks clean, no cracks and has the OEM part number painted on it. The “catch” is that he’s had the belt for 15+ years, in the original box.

Is the belt material still good after that length of time or does it break down with time? Is this a good idea or I am tempting fate?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Generally it does have a shelf life.
        Gates belts can be stored for up to 8 years before installation, but only if kept under the correct conditions.
        Taking the fact the one you were offered is twice that age…
        I would suggest investing in a new one.
        Granted the offered one is free but in the event of it failing, the damage it could cause isn’t worth the price.

Gene KapoleiGene
        Participant

Thanks for that reply. Kind of what I was thinking – risk is pretty high.

Now I have to wonder as I always do about the quality difference between different belts: Gates, FelPro, Dayco, Continental, Goodyear versus the Honda OEM?

Also saw a video where a dude soaked his timing belt in 303 Aerospace Protectant, claiming that extended the belt life.

So are there different materials belts are made of and something “new” (newer technology) is better than the OEM design?

Guess I ask too many questions – ignorance is bliss. lol

Steve KleinSteve Klein
          Participant

When you are comparing a quality manufacturer, such as Gates or Goodyear, against a OEM, I personally don’t think there is any difference. Many of the manufacturers make belts for the OEM, so there is that. Now, when you start talking about no-name manufacturers, or belts from China, off eBay, etc., I just would not take any chance there. They could be just fine but the risk of not knowing the quality is not worth it for a belt that critical. There are belts that have Kevlar, etc. in them and claim to be stronger, last longer – I can’t speak to that. I would just go with a well known manufacturer. I certainly would not ‘modify’ it by adding any other chemicals.

Billy AndrewsBilly
            Participant

Get a Japanese belt – Aisin, Mitsuboshi. Or American. Avoid Chinese (Gates).

BluesnutBluesnut
              Participant

Timing belts are cheap. Engine top end repairs due to a broken timing belt on your interference fit engine are far from cheap.

Any belt replacement should also include idlers/ tensioners, water pump, and preferably crank and cam seals at the same time.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…