Menu

Timing check on 2.3 ford ranger 1993

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Repair Central-The ‘How To’ Forum Timing check on 2.3 ford ranger 1993

• Creator
    Topic
    OnThe7ThDayFordOnThe7ThDayFord
    Participant

Hey guys.
      I had a friend bring me his truck (1993 ford ranger 2.3L)

He said it over heated and was knocking…
      He shut it down and let it set.
      He brought it over here to me and I ran a few checks…
      I had 90psi on each piston.

Iv got fire and fuel.

Soo This thing should run.(Maybe not right but should start)

I had my hand over the

Viewing 12 replies - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Participant
        dreamer2355dreamer2355
        Participant

You would need all the engine bay wiring and the PCM. It would be alot of hassle. You would need to study the wiring diagrams as some of the Fords built in 87 were speed density, not MAF.

Do some research and see if the blocks are the same and if the older motor will drop right in.

Plus i believe the lifters are hydraulic and the cam in the newer motor is better over the older one.

As for checking the deck surface, you need to buy a straight edge and a set of feeler gauges.

http://books.google.com/books?id=p1zb-k … ce&f=false

Google is your friend and can save peoples fingers from alot of typing C8-)

And for the firing order, the reason you have plugs on the exhaust side of the head is to help reduce emissions output either further. Its a technology Ford tried using.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
          Participant

PS – Smoking is bad for you. Thats what killed my Dad in 2007.

Participant

Dreamer I know smoking bad for me ….Im 25 and been smoking since i was 7 @3 packs a day….Iv had 2 heart attacks!!!
              But what is done is done!!! My life is pretty much gone soo whats the point in stopping now!!!

Im going to looking for the right engine this one is going to require to much work!!!

The older motor has no provision for the crank sensor needed to run the DIS setup. I can fix that, but Ill need to drill and tap the block in a very precise spot. I will also need to change the front seal plate because the older plate won’t clear the crank sensor. Wait, not done yet. Because Ill have to use the newer seal plate, now have to use the newer oil pan. Well shoot, you can’t just pop the pan on there because now the rear main cap where the pan sits is wrong for this pan.

Participant

Thanks dreamer youv been a big help- Im sorry Im soo damn needie!

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                Participant

Quoted From OnThe7ThDayFord:

Thanks dreamer youv been a big help- Im sorry Im soo damn needie!

You’re welcome and you haven’t fallen into the category of being ‘wife’ needie just yet C8-)

Participant

Thanks dreamer lol.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                    Participant

Hows this adventure going?

Participant

Im needing to get a pricing on a new head or have the head repaired!!!
                        We are trying to figure out wich one is going to be cheaper?? I found a head for 250 -I dont know if im gona beat that.
                        Other wise not to bad!!!

How have you been dreamer?

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                        Participant

Ive been good thanks for asking. Ill be getting an MRI completed on my back soon so that should be fun.

Do you have access to any dial indicator gauges and telescoping gauges so you can check the bore of each cylinder so your not wasting your time with a completely worn motor?

Participant

No dreamer I sure dont… I did give the cylinders a good looking at and didn notice any notches or bad groves.
                            I put all the pistons midways on there stroke. and put a cup of oil in each cylinder -All the oil is steal there.
                            engines been setting for 2 weaks or so. Waiting on the guy to come up with some money!!
                            Im glad you have been doing well.Whats with the mri?are you ok?

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                            Participant

I have a pinched nerve somewhere that my physical therapist could not isolate. Thank you for your concern though!

You might want to hone the cylinder walls too seeing as your going to all this trouble. Most auto part stores will loan those tools out for a refundable deposit C8-)

Viewing 12 replies - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…