Menu

timing shim causes bad valves?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here timing shim causes bad valves?

• Creator
    Topic
    maniogremaniogre
    Participant

My wifes 08 MDX I took in because of some engine noise. TSB was done regarding a shim on the timing belt and replaced tensioner. The noise came back in two weeks and I took it back to dealer. They said they had to pull the head and sent to machine shop who diagnosed one bad valve on each cylinder! WOW, is this even possible? Are they milking Honda? I am no mechanic and am a pessimistic cynic. I think they are F@#$*ing with me.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MattMatt
      Participant

A shim on the timing belt? That’s a new one. Right up there with headlight fluid. But if it’s under warranty, I would let them deal with it.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

It’s not common for Honda engines to have issue like that and to be honest without seeing the vehicle for myself it’s impossible to tell what’s going on unfortunately.

pcmdjasonpcmdjason
          Participant

Tsb 08-031 says to shim the idler pulley. And on some also change the water pump.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
            Participant

Thanks for posting the TSB pcmdjason C8-)

MattMatt
              Participant

I made light of the original post, because I had never heard of timing idler shims. But I learned something. That’s why I love this place. Thank you Jason.

beaker60beaker60
                Participant

Just curious,,,where did everyone get the info on the TSB,,,I need to get that info,,to the 2 shops I do diagnosis for.Thanks

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                  Keymaster

I believe the TSB was for the timing belt tensioner not being aligned correctly so the fix is to ‘shim’ the tensioner to get it to align correctly. This is why I have doubts about the ‘bad valve’ diagnosis because the timing belt is external and the only way it could become a ‘valve’ problem is if it was not timed correctly after the procedure was done and the valves got bent when the engine was started out of time. I have no way to prove this however.

pcmdjasonpcmdjason
                    Participant

Ok here’s about bent valves:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz-89-jrBOA:kk3m04np]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz-89-jrBOA

I[/url]t says the TSB has been updated because idle tensioner can get damaged and the belt can jump time and bend the valves.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                      Participant

Yeah, They might be feeding you bull SH*&% about the valves.
                        The only way they can get bent is if the belt slipped or the timing was not aligned correctly.
                        Maybe you want to take it to another dealer and see what they say.

pcmdjasonpcmdjason
                        Participant

Quoted From beaker60:

Just curious,,,where did everyone get the info on the TSB,,,I need to get that info,,to the 2 shops I do diagnosis for.Thanks

I googled acura shim and found it, here’s more:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&saf … -031&btnG=

maniogremaniogre
                          Participant

Thank you all for your posts.

OP
                            Man i ogre

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…