Menu

To Brake or Not To Brake

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion To Brake or Not To Brake

• Creator
    Topic
    SteveSteve
    Participant

Just thought I’d get input on this. I go up and down steep hills here where I live. And, as is usual, I always get behind somebody slow or a large truck or whatnot. I sometimes prefer to just shift my automatic into 3rd gear to keep from riding the brakes. Now my car is a 2001 with 163,000 miles on it so the transmission likely is past its prime. So anyways, I heard someone say (not sure if it was here on ETCG or not) since it’s easier and much less expensive to change brake pads than a transmission (obviously) that just use the brakes and don’t worry about shifting to a lower gear since that puts additional strain on the transmission (another rather obvious fact.) FYI, I rarely use downshifting anymore since I would agree that new brake pads or even rotors for sure is better than replacing a transmission that has been strained. Other’s opinions?? This question is not so much for me than others that might ask the same question on ETCG forum at some point in the future.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MatthewMatthew
      Participant

if uphill switch gears thats y they are there if downhill ride the brakes or use the ebrake

Hokiedad4Hokiedad4
        Participant

I assume you have an AT.

I drive a manual but consistently downshift for long drops. There’s only a tiny bit of extra wear on the clutch during the downshift but you’re effectively using the engine to assist the brakes, which is much safer than using the brakes alone to slow the vehicle. Long hard braking heats the rotors, pads and the brake fluid. When it gets very hot, brake fluid can actually boil and you’re left with nothing.

Uphill makes no difference. Just use the gear that keeps your engine and transmission happy at whatever speed you’re traveling.

SteveSteve
          Participant

Yes I have an automatic. With a manual it’s rather straight forward. Sometimes getting behind trucks and idiot drivers who ride the brakes the whole way down a rather large mountain gets to my last nerve since I then have to ride my brakes. I normally will then shift my AT to 3rd to let the engine do most of the braking. Seems I am about the only driver traveling my mountain who does that. But my transmission is rather old at 163,000 miles and I figure brakes are cheaper than a transmission. I guess my post is more specifically directed at idiot drivers who don’t realize they can downshift an automatic instead of riding the brakes the whole way down a 1,000 foot mountain, and thus making us behind them ride our brakes or downshifting.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…