Menu

Tool Comparison

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions Tool Comparison

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

This video has a longer title: Craftsman vs Craftsman Professional vs Harbor Freight vs Matco vs Mac vs Snap-on

It’s too long for the forum so I’m including it here.

So these are my opinions on these tools that I’ve used for years. Please keep in mind that these are my opinions. Also, be sure to consider use. The DIYer won’t use their tools in the same way a professional would and therefore the ROI is different for both parties.

Viewing 6 replies - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      James O'HaraJames O’Hara
      Participant

I get accused of being a Craftsman fanboy a lot when other new techs come in. Then when they see there Snap-On bill they go but, I need the other tool and I look at them and go I told you to buy cheaper. I have a lot of Craftsman tools and they get the job done but, 99% of them are USA Made any of the newer stuff not made in the USA is crap. I am talking from experience on this. It doesn’t surprise me though because they can’t produce quality tools or buy and relabel quality tools for cheaper then the original manufacturer. They also are trying to compete with Harbor Freight. Not all their tools are junk but, they are slowly heading there. I really wish someone would take over the craftsman brand that has a clue.

Gary BrownGary
        Participant

I just bought a new MAC adjustable wrench. I hate to say it, but I’m done buying from Snap-On whenever I can help it. As a frugal professional, I look for the best deal with the best quality. That comes from MAC. Snap-Ons prices are ludicrous and I can get an equal quality MAC tool for less. Plus, I am not an elitist as I’ve mentioned before however the Snap-On trucks push Snap-On elitism it as well as the die hard Snap-On techs. I want no part of that. My dad never used Snap-on tools..he used Craftsman and MAC. If they were good enough for him they are good enough for me.

Andrew ButtonAndrew Button
          Participant

It seems Mac is nice stuff. I don’t have much of their stuff, but it does’t appear to be cheaper than Snap-on for alot of the stuff. Mac has a few things that are specialized that nobody else has which is nice. Maximizer boxes are awesome, but crazy expensive just like SO. Some guys I know have loaded up on Mac because their service was better. Knew a tech who had a good relationship with his truck guy, but to me thats not an issue. I am building a working relationship with a Snap-on guy as we speak, but some of the stuff is just to expensive. 56 bucks for a sparkplug socket, really ? Mac has a whole set for a little over 100, which is better. The thing that worries me about NOT having Snap-on is getting laughed at by these guys who have Epiq boxes, snap on presses, power washers, lifts, and the likes and look down upon those won’t get a revolving line of credit with the Snap on guy. Which I of course don’t have, or never have had, so things like the funnels that cost 10 times as much are just not in my budget.

MarissaMarissa
            Participant

Because you like the Mac and Snap-on tools better how do you feel about Williams tools, which is part of the Snap-on industrial group? Proto tools are also part of Stanley Black and Decker. I am looking to get USA made tools with a good warranty program for my schooling. Any input would be appreciated.

Gary BrownGary
              Participant

[quote=”monster_ct” post=154398]Because you like the Mac and Snap-on tools better how do you feel about Williams tools, which is part of the Snap-on industrial group? Proto tools are also part of Stanley Black and Decker. I am looking to get USA made tools with a good warranty program for my schooling. Any input would be appreciated.[/quote] I haven’t used Williams, however I hear it’s good stuff.
                What you choose will ultimately be decided by discounts. If your school gives a discount for SO, that’s what you should go with while you have 50% or so off. The warranties are very similar for all top tier brands however, a tool truck makes it much easier to warranty stuff. That’s why for beginners I usually recommend starting with a craftsman mechanics set that you can warranty at any sears. Once you get serious about the trade and start doing heavy duty work your going to have to step up to MAC, SO and Matco(and the industrial brands like proto and williams). Tools such as ratchets should be top tier or made in the USA craftsmand at the very least. Torque wrenches should also be top tier.
                Some tools like a breaker bar you can get by with Husky(home depot). I’ve been using a big 1/2 breaker bar for years by Husky with no complaints…it’s a pretty simple tool, you’d have to actually try to make a crappy one. SO/Mac and Matco are a waste of money for tools like that.
                Same thing with hammers, channel locks, vice grips etc. No reason to buy a truck brand when there’s perfectly good USA made alternatives for less than half the cost.

Andrew ButtonAndrew Button
                Participant

I recently got into a bind with some nasty brake fittings on a junction box. Had I used anything else but Snap on Flank drive wrenches, I would still be under there. Line wrench’s didn’t work for spaces reasons, so it was either Snap on or ruined fittings which I may or may not have been able to replace without a major nightmare. I used to be a little more open to different wrench brands, but not now. And I used SK for decades due to cost reasons but they are not even in the same league.

Viewing 6 replies - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…