Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • torque converter breaks crank position sensor

torque converter breaks crank position sensor

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here torque converter breaks crank position sensor

• Creator
    Topic
    jasonjason
    Participant

Ok so my torque converter has broken 2 crank position sensors , because it hits about 1/4 quarter of a inch of the sensor at the end of the sensor on the corner and snaps it off and i was wondering if i can shave a little bit off the cps to make clearance without affecting the cps function just kinda throwing it out there to see if anyone else has done this. its on a 1992 dodge dakota 5.2l le ,46rh transmission

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

What changed that the sensor hits?

Andrew HarrisAndrew Harris
        Participant

The CKP sensor is actually measuring little windows attached to the crankshaft which produce a signature square wave that the computer uses. the air gap is adjustable on some Chrysler vehicles. You might also want to check foe a cracked flywheel or some other condition that is causing the sensor to be damaged.

TyTy
          Participant

If its a aftermarket sensor is there a chance its a tad bit longer than the factory sensor?

Iv run into similar problems with other aftermarket parts before.

Participant

I would say yes it could be a slight difference in the aftermarket part. I see that all the time. Honestly I don’t think that is the case here but hey I have been wrong before.

TyTy
              Participant

[quote=”ArmedsouthernEr” post=176226]but hey I have been wrong before.[/quote]

Me too just ask my wife lol.

jasonjason
                Participant

ok im thinking its my flex plate hitting my crank postion sensor does anyone know how close the cps is the the flex plate because when i was bolting up the torque converter there are the square holes on the side and i used a flat head to turn the flex plate to line the bolt holes for the torque converter and i might have bent those outwards thats the only thing that really changed i thought it would be fine but it might not be if the clearance of the flex plate and cps is super small

Participant

The clearance is very small, were talking thousands of an inch. If you bent the shutter wheel or tone ring that could very well be your problem.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…