Menu

Toyota Avalon VVT and O2 Codes

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Toyota Avalon VVT and O2 Codes

• Creator
    Topic
    JuniorJunior
    Participant

My 2000 Toyota Avalon just recently started having really rough idles and then there was a very noticeable loss of power when trying to accelerate from a stopped position. The loss of acceleration only happens when moving at super low speeds. I immediately noticed the problem and as i was heading to a mechanic the check engine light came on. The mechanic ran the codes and it came back with a “Variable Valve Timing System Fault”, multiple random misfires and a “Bank 2 O2 Sensor problem”. I already purchased the VVT solenoid parts but i’m not fully convinced the O2 sensor needs to be replaced. Is it possible the VVT issue is triggering the O2 Sensor or maybe the O2 sensor is causing the VVT problem? The O2 sensor is gonna set me back another $400 if replaced in pairs as suggested. Any feedback or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Vehicle: Toyota Avalon 2000
      Miles : 207,000

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

5 Common Symptoms of a Bad Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Solenoid

1 – Check Engine Light.
        2 – Rough Idling.
        3 – Rough Acceleration.
        4 – Increased Fuel Consumption.
        5 – Low engine performance.
        Suggest you check your fuel trims if they are excessively negative, you have a rich fuel mixture ( #4 ) that may affect O2 sensor operation

JuniorJunior
        Participant

Unfortunately those are the same symptoms for a bad O2 Sensor but i will investigate the issue further

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…