Menu

Toyota Corolla Engine Noise

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Toyota Corolla Engine Noise

• Creator
    Topic
    Shashank RaoShashank Rao
    Participant

Hello everyone, I have a 1997 toyota corolla with approximately 266,000 miles that is in good condition. The problem I have with it is that it always makes a really loud noise whenever I start it up and drive around. It only gets slightly quieter when it gets on the highway. I have only started to hear this sound since the past 3-4 years. I just wanted to know if it would be possible to fix this problem. Thanks!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

More info about the type of noise and location would be helpful… Even better would be a recording of the sound…

-Karl

Shashank RaoShashank Rao
        Participant

Makes a noise kind of like a blender. I’ll try to get a recording later this week. The noise comes directly from the engine, not the exhaust or any other places.

A toyotakarlIts me

Lift the hood and try to locate as close as possible where the sound is coming from and post the sound, we may be able to help…

-Karl

Shashank RaoShashank Rao
            Participant

I will try to locate it this week. I think the sound will be really helpful because it is pretty unique.

BillBill
              Participant

Three to four years? If you were to fix it now it might fall apart. 😛

A toyotakarlIts me

[quote=”wysetech” post=109632]Three to four years? If you were to fix it now it might fall apart. :P[/quote]

A testament to the quality of a Toyota… Can run and sound like a blender for 3-4 years and still keeps going! 😛 banana:

Cheers!

-Karl

IngvarIngvar
                  Participant

Cut a length of garden hose, or any hose stiff enough, or even find a stick.
                    Place one end against your ear, and use opposite end as noise source locator. The only part that spins fast enough to make blender type noise is likely water pump.
                    If you use stick, place thumb tip onto the stick end that will go against your ear. Do NOT place stick directly. Don’t ask. Folks use even long screwdriver.

Shashank RaoShashank Rao
                    Participant

This is the recording of me just starting the car up and running it. i try to rev it a little bit but i hear this weird sound like the engine might stall out. I tried to locate the sound and was able to locate where it was loudest. The second file is an image as to where the sound is coming from in the engine bay. I hope this information is useful.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                      Participant

[quote=”ToyotaKarl” post=109639]
                        A testament to the quality of a Toyota… Can run and sound like a blender for 3-4 years and still keeps going! 😛 banana:

Cheers!

-Karl[/quote]

You’ll get no argument from me!

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                        Keymaster

The audio wouldn’t play for me but I have experience with noises with that engine.

Has the cylinder head been off in the past or the cam shafts been removed? If so then perhaps the tension on the cam gear was not set properly when that happened. I believe that is a DOHC engine that has 2 gears that mesh to drive the cams. One of the gears is split and spring loaded. If you don’t install a bolt to hold the spring in place when removing the cam this will cause the gear to loose tension and make noise during engine operation. ToyotaKarl could probably elaborate on that as well. In fact, you can see the bolt in question needed in his engine rebuild pics.

More info on finding noises here.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/diagnosing-noises-in-your-car

Keep us posted.

angelo paloumbisangelo paloumbis
                          Participant

timing chain driven? or timing belt?
                            flexplate may have a crack?
                            without hearing the noise its hard to determine

A toyotakarlIts me

[quote=”teslasr” post=110232]
                              This is the recording of me just starting the car up and running it. i try to rev it a little bit but i hear this weird sound like the engine might stall out. I tried to locate the sound and was able to locate where it was loudest. The second file is an image as to where the sound is coming from in the engine bay. I hope this information is useful.[/quote]

Looks like a 1.8 7A-FE engine… Which has a timing belt… I can’t open the sound file either, so try another way to get the sound…

The location where you circled is the throttle body/intake plenum…

-Karl

Shashank RaoShashank Rao
                              Participant

Thanks, I will have to check with a mechanic because i don’t really have the tools right now. The audio file is only avaliable if i am online. Is there a way to fix this or do i just have to be logged in 24/7. Thanks.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                                Keymaster

OK that sounds like a plan. Keep us posted.

angelo paloumbisangelo paloumbis
                                  Participant

from one tech to another keep up the awesome work.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…