Menu

tranmission flush ford ranger

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here tranmission flush ford ranger

• Creator
    Topic
    fordrangerfordranger
    Participant

well hey everybody i have a burning question. i have a 00 ranger 4×4 and it needs a trans flush. dont give me that

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ChrisR1987ChrisR1987
      Participant

This is just an opinion but to me flushing that way is safer than using a machine but it may not be as effective. With a machine theres chances of blowing seals out. The other method is mainly a fluid exchange in my opionion.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
        Participant

I wouldn’t recommend flushing a transmission if you have no service history of that procedure ever being done to the vehicle. A new filter and the lost fluid from dropping the transmission pan should be enough.

If you disconnect one of the transmission lines at the radiator, you will need to make sure you disconnect the correct line.

MattMatt
          Participant

My auto trans instructor, who was an auto trans nerd in my opinion, taught us to pull the trans cooler lines like you suggested. Then mark in a bucket how much two quarts is, and put the line into the bucket, and run the engine until you reach the two quart line (will only take like 20 seconds at most). Shut the engine off, fill the trans, and repeat until you have drained out the full capacity of the trans and torque converter. Good luck.

Oh, and what Dreamer means by correct line is the pressure line, not the return line. It’s usually the top one if I remember right, but you should double check that.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
            Participant

I also just like to replace the fluid thats lost when dropping the pan to change the filter.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

You can ‘flush’ the fluid as you suggest but honestly all that is required is to drain and refill at regular intervals, flushing is more to correct an issue or something you do after replacing a failed transmission to clean the lines and cooler and is not something that I consider a maintenance item.

MattMatt
                Participant

I would just drop the pan and change the filter. Refill and you should be good to go.

fordrangerfordranger
                  Participant

so my question is at 79954.2 miles should i flush it or drop the pan and put a new fluid?? im kind of confused

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                    Keymaster

Just change the fluid and filter.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…