Menu

Transmission Change / Flush

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Transmission Change / Flush

• Creator
    Topic
    JosephJoseph
    Participant

I am now to the point (maintenance) that I need to change my transmission filter and fluid. Watched Eric’s transmission fluid / filter change on the box truck from several years ago. I am all set to do this but I have one question about flushing it. Since my lovely GM does not have a drain plug in the trans (I have bought a replacement with one in it) how worried should I be about fluid left in the Torque converter? I want to do a decent job and I am being told to drain out the TC by undoing the return line from the Trans. Cooler.

Thoughts on this please. How important is it to drain the torq converter?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

I’ve done the removing the return line method.
        Haven’t had any issue in over a year since.
        But do as you feel best suits your needs.

JosephJoseph
        Participant

That is what I am going to do – Total flush.

I just have to figure out what size hose to get my hands on to connect to cooler / trans line. Too bad Eric has not done a show on flushing a trans. on a GM car (??).

Plan to do this really soon. My car has 109k on it and I want to get it out of the way. Next will be a coolent flush 🙂

Thanks for responding.

Joseph CJoseph C
          Participant

[quote=”coffee412″ post=162597]That is what I am going to do – Total flush.

I just have to figure out what size hose to get my hands on to connect to cooler / trans line. Too bad Eric has not done a show on flushing a trans. on a GM car (??).

Plan to do this really soon. My car has 109k on it and I want to get it out of the way. Next will be a coolent flush 🙂

Thanks for responding.[/quote]
            If you have a second car to get to/from wherever you are doing this, you could buy a very small piece of the most likely sizes and see which one fits ? Those lines are not a terribly big diameter. Just be sure to get the RETURN line.. I made a MESS once pulling the wrong one first. On a Camaro.

You don’t have too much of an option until you get that new pan with the drain plug on it (stupid GM and most American cars) otherwise. You don’t want to to a drain and fill ?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

transman304transman304
            Participant

Here is a picture of the return line location. Your transmission will have the Jiffy Tite type fitting requiring you to remove the wire clip. It is easier to disconnect at trans as if you disconnect at rad you have no way to attach a hose. Good luck and put down card board or some thing to catch the mess and it will make a mess :ohmy: .

Nicholas ClarkNicholas Clark
              Participant

I have had good luck dropping the pan and cleaning the pan/magnets and just replacing the fluid from the pan. ATF has tons of detergents in it. If you change your fluid at the recommended intervals you will be fine. YMMV

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…