Menu

Transmission Fluid FAQ

• Creator
    Topic
    pcmdjasonpcmdjason
    Participant

I’d like to see if we could put together a transmission fluid FAQ.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant
        twiggytwiggy
        Participant

Honda ATF Z1 is no longer available and is replaced by Honda ATF DW-1. It is synthetic and can be mixed with Z1 for those that do a partial drain and fill fluid changes.

Shaun_300Shaun_300
          Participant

Most GM automatics take the Dexron VI, with the exception of the 2005-2009 Equinox with the 5-speed Aisin trans, Pontiac Vibe and Aveo which take the Saturn T-IV trans fluid.

pcmdjasonpcmdjason
            Participant

Now along with the more “exotic” fluids.

Are many of these dealer only fluid?

Shaun_300Shaun_300
              Participant

I know you should be able to get the Dexron VI anywhere, I imagine most auto parts stores would carry the AC Delco Saturn T-IV fluid as well, it’s a bit more expensive than the Dexron.

1sickaccord1sickaccord
                Participant

AMSOIL ATF … THE ONLY ATF I WOULD USE IN MY OWN CAR..

AMSOIL Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is engineered to outperform conventional automatic transmission fluids and exceed the performance requirements of most North American, European and Asian vehicles. This sophisticated formulation provides outstanding performance and protection in the severe operating conditions of today

twiggytwiggy
                  Participant

I just emailed Castrol trying to find out which of their ATF’s are synthetic blend so I though I would post the response here in case anyone cares:

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol always recommends following the guidelines of the original engine manufacturer for the recommended fluid for use in your specific application. This information can be found in the vehicles owner’s manual or by contacting the manufacturer directly.

Castrol ATF+4 is a full synthetic transmission fluid.

Castrol Dexron VI ATF is a part synthetic transmission fluid.

Both Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF and the Castrol Dex/Merc Domestic Multi-Veh ATF are conventional.

Thank you again for contacing Castrol.

Castrol Consumer Relations

twiggytwiggy
                    Participant

Here is info regarding Honda’s ATF Z1 which is discontinued. I contacted the the dealer and they sent me this:

Boostaholic315Boostaholic315
                      Participant

Quoted From dreamer2355:

Here is my contribution and another forum C8-)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=16&page=1

I love that site also. I was thinking the same thing.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…