Menu

Transmission problem, maybe?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Transmission problem, maybe?

• Creator
    Topic
    chemochemo
    Participant

I have a stock automatic ’95 Honda civic that lately, has been having issues. When I drive around town and reach a stop light (usually when the problem occurs) then take off, the car seems to hesitate or have hard shifts then gradually pick up speed. The problem is intermittent ):

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Tri9SSTri9SS
      Participant

I would first check if you have sufficient transmission fluid.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

I’m not sure if that is a transmission issue but it wouldn’t hurt to check the fluid, remember that fluid gets checked while the engine is OFF and warm. Be sure to only use Honda fluid.

Personally I would be looking for an engine performance issue starting with the ignition system. Start with a set of plugs NGK or Nipon Denso only. If it has OE wires leave them alone but if not you might want to replace them with OE or NGK wires. A good cap and rotor will also be a good idea. Look for oil in the spark plug wells and and inside the distributor, if you find any address those leaks and recheck for the condition.

Good luck and kep us posted.

chemochemo
          Participant

The transmission fluid is a shade of light brown. Back in November of last year I changed my valve cover gaskets and solved my “spark plug drenched in oil” issue. I also changed my wires and spark plugs at the same time. Now, many months later, I have oil where the spark plugs are, so I cleaned them and checked the gaskets about 2 weeks ago. They did not look brittle.Oil is slowly starting to coat the plugs.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
            Participant

Quoted From chemo:

The transmission fluid is a shade of light brown. Back in November of last year I changed my valve cover gaskets and solved my “spark plug drenched in oil” issue. I also changed my wires and spark plugs at the same time. Now, many months later, I have oil where the spark plugs are, so I cleaned them and checked the gaskets about 2 weeks ago. They did not look brittle.Oil is slowly starting to coat the plugs.

If oil is getting down in the spark plug tubes, that’s the first thing i would fix.
              That just might fix your entire problem.

Keymaster

I also agree that you need to address an engine performance issue first, even though you have a Civic I believe it has the same set up as what I show in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYU8qtPzQOY

BTW quality parts are best for this so I recommend using OE parts.

chemochemo
                Participant

Hey everyone, sorry for the late reply. I looked through everything and seemed fine but I still had the issue. So, I decided, “hey, why not change the fuel filter”. Since i got the car used and was unsure of the service hisotry I did just that nad for the most part my issue went away (: Thank you everyone for all your help.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                  Participant

Awesome job! Thanks for the update!

Keymaster

Thanks for the update it’s always good to know what a fix was.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…