Menu

Turbo Question

• Creator
    Topic
    HMNGSupraMKIIIHMNGSupraMKIII
    Participant

i hav a 1989 toyota supra turbo. its all stock. but something is wrong with the turbo. when i get up to 5k rpm i dont hear the turbo spool. when i look at the stock boost gauge the needle only goes to 0 and doesnt go anyhigher.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      HMNGSupraMKIIIHMNGSupraMKIII
      Participant

ok thanks

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

Hard to say really, it could be a waste gate problem or leaks somewhere or that the turbo is worn out. With a car that old it could be a lot of things. I might start with a good visual inspection to see if you have any major oil leaks in the area of the turbo as this might indicate a problem with it, also move any linkage you see by hand to see if it can move freely, if it can’t this could indicate the source of the problem. Also look for areas in the piping that may be leaking as a loss of boost can cause that condition. Just for the heck of it you might want to check the condition of the engine while your at it with a compression or leak down test, if the engine is worn and not putting out it may not be able to generate enough exhause pressure to spool the turbo up. Good luck.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…