Menu

type of engne

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion type of engne

• Creator
    Topic
    nflfellanflfella
    Participant

not sure which engne is in my car, there are four types for the 1998 honda civic cx. help

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      RedeemerRedeemer
      Participant

Any way you can post a picture? that might be the easiest way for someone to help.

3SheetsDiesel3SheetsDiesel
        Participant

The smart-ass part of me would tell you that it’s a 4 cylinder gas engine. The helpful part of me would tell you…

I’m presuming that you need to know the displacement. There’s three sure-fire ways I can think of to figure that out. The easiest method is to look at the catalyst sticker under the hood. There should be a line that says Engine Family or something along those lines, along with a string of numbers and letters. Somewhere about the middle of that there should be a 1.5 or 1.6, followed by more letters. That’s your engine displacement.

Another method is to look at the timing cover. There should be a sticker on there that says something to the effect of D15A1 or something along those lines, that’s your engine size and some sort of options, I’m not exactly sure that the entire code means. The D part means it’s a single overhead cam, the 15 means it’s a 1.5L. I forget what the rest means.

Methos 3 is to look on the front of the engine block (front in this case meaning the side closest to the front of the car), just to the left (if you’re facing the car) of the exhaust manifold. There should be a flat spot on the block with the engine code stamped onto it. Since it’s a 1998, this stamping is probably covered in scuzz, so you may need to clean that off before you can read it. Just out of curiosity, why do you need to know what type of engine is in your car?

dseries16dseries16
          Participant

does the valve cover state that it is vtec?

if it is VTEC then could be a d16y8 if not vtec then most likely a d16y7.

I am guessing what you have since you have not given us enough info to help you all that much

location? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D_engine

pcmdjasonpcmdjason
            Participant

You could probably post your VIN and leave off the last 4 digits and someone could look it up.

Jason Alexmckrishes
              Participant

you can use your vin or just open the hood and look on the engine itself. mine’s a 1999 civic and that’s where it’s at.

pcmdjasonpcmdjason
                Participant

Yeah a lot of times the emissions tag will say for sure.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…