Menu

Un-even Brake pad wear.. causes ?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Un-even Brake pad wear.. causes ?

• Creator
    Topic
    DavidDavid
    Participant

Hi guys,

About to change the front pads on my mums 2003 Nissan Pulsar N16 1.8l car, I inspected the current pads and rotors and noticed the pads are wearing un-evenly. Both inside pads (pad that sits between rotor & brake caliper piston) seem to have double the ware than the outside pads.. why might this be? Piston not backing off after brake s released causing it to push into the rotor ??

The same is on both left and right front wheels.

Rear brakes are Drums, not sure of condition.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      zerozero
      Participant

Usually lack of maintenance. The inner pad gets stiff in the hardware and doesn’t pull of as much as the outer. You can ask you local parts store to see if they have a listing for anti-drag clips. Basically springs to push the pads off the rotor. However, servicing them at least once a year should mitigate most issues.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-brake-problems?start=3#DiscBrakeService

Matthew RossMatthew Ross
        Participant

Another thing to check is the slide pins on the caliper bracket. If they are seized, it can cause this issue.

CameronCameron
          Participant

[quote=”matthewross1987″ post=163890]Another thing to check is the slide pins on the caliper bracket. If they are seized, it can cause this issue.[/quote]

I agree with Mathew.

Both pads should have experienced a similar amount of wear but did not because the floating caliper was sticking
            and not centering itself over the rotor when the brakes were applied. Uneven pad wear as in the photo (which is not a really bad example) is generally a symptom of the caliper sticking.

DavidDavid
            Participant

Thanks guys 🙂

I couldn’t find any specific brake grease or silicone grease locally, but did pick up some of this…

Even though it specifies that it’s ok for brake applications, can anyone tell me if it’s ok to use a a lube for the brake caliper slide pins ??

Thanks 🙂

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…