Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Using a Vacuum Guage to Test For Head Gasket Issues???

Using a Vacuum Guage to Test For Head Gasket Issues???

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Using a Vacuum Guage to Test For Head Gasket Issues???

• Creator
    Topic
    2StrongMNG2StrongMNG
    Participant

Hello.. I have used Vacuum Guage

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MattMatt
      Participant

You would want to perform a compression test. Compression testers can usually be rented from auto parts stores. Eric’s video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_tbksFYhl4

Good luck. Keep us posted.

brian .hawesbrian.hawes
        Participant

I’ve been useing a block tester a lot lately to test for failed head gaskets. After a compression test you can do a leak down test also. There should be videos on all these tests on youtube.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
          Participant

Using a block tester is a pretty easy way of checking for head gasket issues. It will tell you if you have combustion gasses in the coolant.

Also as stated, using a compression tester will also work.

That is a good video Beefy posted.

MattMatt
            Participant

Yeh, I suppose the block tester would be the smarter route for immediate results on whether or not a head gasket is failed. brian and dreamer are on it! Then mebbe a compression test if you get nothing from the block test, ‘cuz head gaskets wont always leak into the water jackets.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
              Participant

I guess it all depends on what tools he has at his disposal.

He may need to use a compression tester if a block tester is not available to him C8-)

johnzcarzjohnzcarz
                Participant

That’s true, gotta make do with what you have sometimes. I know some of the parts places rent the block tester, not so sure about the compression tester – although i think a compression test or leakdown test is the way to go.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                  Keymaster

A vacuum gauge really won’t tell you much as far as a head gasket issue is concerned, as suggested a ‘block tester’ would be the way to go to check for that, I show how to use one in this video.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUzOTnsWImI

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…