Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Valve cover bolts broke on two different Honda

Valve cover bolts broke on two different Honda

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Valve cover bolts broke on two different Honda

• Creator
    Topic
    hadihadi
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I write because I’m feeling frustrated.

I changed the valve cover gasket on Honda Jazz few months back and broke 2 of the bolts that hold the valve cover. and today I wanted to do valve clearance adjustment on Honda Civic Hybrid but again I broke one of the bolt that hold the valve cover after unbolting 3 bolts so I cancel my intention since I don’t want to break another bolt.

Have you guys experiencing the same thing or it is just me? ( I’ve been very careful when removing the bolt but still,,,,)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MathieuMathieu
      Participant

I broke a exhaust bolt. Pretty frustrating to measure the fillet before I bought a new one.
        You need to use penetrating oil on car bold. Especially bold that take heat and rust faster. This rust expend in the fillet and create even more tension. When you use penetrating oil, the rust is wash away by the chemical inside this oil.

exceptionalchrisexceptionalchris
        Participant

Yes I have broken a valve cover bolt on my Honda before. No big deal. Just stop over torquing bolts. Get yourself a torque wrench or just a smaller wrench or ratchet

DarrenDarren
          Participant

Use penetrating oil to keep from breaking rusted or seized bolts. I use a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. I’ve found that it works much better than PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench or even Kano Kroil. I keep mine in a refillable pressurized spray can. (and it’s a whole lot cheaper than any commercially available penetrating oil too)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…