Menu

Vehicle Knocks while turning

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Vehicle Knocks while turning

• Creator
    Topic
    RobertRobert
    Participant

When I turn the wheel to the left while driving it makes a sound like something is being hit with a wooden mallet. The sound is at an even pace, so it goes bonk, bonk, bonk, in rhythm. The sound is on the front drivers side.

I know I need to replace the tie rods, but I don’t think they make a sound like that. I want to figure it out so while I’m there, I can take care of everything together and not have to get an alignment twice!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Keith CastleKeith Castle
      Participant

Sounds very much like CV joints/axles to me, assuming front wheel drive. With your tie rods already gone, other parts of your front drive line needing work isn’t out of the question. On front wheel drive cars, it’s rare for parts to wear out “in a vacuum” due to how interconnected steering/suspension/drive train are. Check as many bushings, linkages, boots, and bearings as you can for wear.

MikeMike
        Participant

Classic symptom of the outer CV joint dying. In your case, the passenger side outer CV joint is the culprit. When things get bad enough that the steering wheel begins to shake when the sound happens, failure is imminent.

Free advice: If your finances can handle it, I’d suggest replacing both left and right side axle/CV assemblies. I presume they both have the same amount of miles on them. When one goes, the other usually isn’t far behind. You can go with brand new units, or with less expensive remanufactured components. I’ve used reman units, and have never had a problem with them.

RobRob
          Participant

jack the car up and try shaking the tire on both sides
            left and right = tie rod
            up and down = ball joint
            spinning arould cv or wheel barring or something like that
            check the boots for greese leaking out… that is uselly the first sign of what part is bad..
            FYI is your tie rod or ball joints are bad recommanding replacing them very soon because if they brake off your tire will fall off… not to scare you but just want you to know… Google images if you want to check it out

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…