Menu

Video idea

• Creator
    Topic
    TomTom
    Participant

I know you’ve been struggling some with decreasing views on your videos. I agree, in part it is due to Youtube. In part it is due to the nature of what you are doing. There are only so many times you can film a radiator replacement video and have people watch it, and only so many parts on the car that can be replaced. I would guess that in part, that is what lead you down the road of posting all the Fairmont videos. As an older viewer (almost 48 now) I enjoy those fabrication videos as much as your repair videos, but I would hazard a guess that a good many of your subscribers are a bunch younger than I am, and don’t have the love for old school domestic V8 cars that I have.

A few thoughts came to mind as I was thinking about your problem. First off, you have the forums, you have the ability to post surveys, and see tabulated responses. You could use that to get a great idea of the age of your viewers, what kinds of cars they drive, what they do with their cars etc. etc. This could go a long way to guiding you as far as what direction to go in.

Though I’ve owned many domestic cars over the years, recently I’ve driven, and worked mostly on Honda. My family has owned 4 Accords now, and an Odyssey, so I’ve put in plenty of time wrenching on them. I’ve also spent a good bit of time participating in online message forums dedicated to Honda cars. Lots of Accords, Civics, Preludes, and their Acura cousins are owned by young guys who aren’t just interested in replacing worn out stuff, they are interested in tinkering, upgrading, making their cars look good, and making them fast.

While I know that aftermarket stuff isn’t your favorite subject, I would hazard a guess that a lot of your viewers are very interested in exactly that. Having a professional mechanic go through the installation of some of the goodies that are commonly added to these cars might grab you some views. I know with the CD5 Accords, short shifters, big brakes up front (Prelude, or Wagon 11″) Rotor Over Hub conversions to get rid of the nasty captive rotors (using TL hubs with Prelude Vtec brakes for example) rear disc swaps, lowering, stereo systems (including ground upgrades and amp installs), keyless entry / remote start are all popular upgrades. Swapping out the bumper lights for clear lens pieces, and then wiring in a dual filament bulb so the car has parking lights as well as signal lights is popular too, and many of the people who do it make a hack job of the wiring, so a video showing the proper way to do something like that might be of help.

I’m sure there are similar upgrades that are done on many other popular cars like the VW Golf GTI. This might be a direction that could garner you some additional views.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

Thanks for the suggestion.

Here’s the issue. I need to finish the Fairmont. If I don’t, I’ll either go insane, or a part of the audience will. The more time I spend working on other things and making other videos, the longer the Fairmont is going to take. Once that car is done, as stated in the newsletter, I’m going to figure it out.

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/blog/2026-june-2017-newsletter

Honestly, I already know what will get more views, also mentioned in the newsletter. To get them I’d had to make more ‘click bait’ type videos. Videos that appeal to a larger audience. One that’s not so much focused on auto repair, but automotive related. For example.

Yes, I have thought of doing work to the GSR, in fact, Monday’s ETCG1 video will be covering that very thing. I also have many other ideas on projects I’d like to take on, not to mention Fixing it Forward.

As for the views, if they don’t come back, they don’t come back. I have other ideas on how to generate income. I’m not going to spend too much time trying to get back views. I’ve already made tremendous efforts, including rebranding and changing the way I edit my videos. If the views don’t come back, they don’t come back. It doesn’t mean it’s the end for me, it means that I’ll be doing something else to make a living other than making YouTube videos. I’ll be good either way.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

andrewandrew
        Participant

Hi Eric ,
          I remember seeing you do videos and have commented on too much rtv on gaskets and it being difficult to clean up and making a mess everywhere .
          I did a transmission service on my th700r4 transmission and found a way to hold the gasket in place without using any rtv or sealant at all.
          The way I did this was to use breadties .
          the pan gasket was placed on top of the pan and a breadtie inserted in all the 4 corners and twisted them to hold down the gasket in position.
          The pan is placed in position under the transmission and all the other bolts are started a couple of turns so that there is clearance to remove the breadties when you are ready to install the last 4 remaining bolts in the corners.
          if you think is a good idea then please make a video about it .
          andrew

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

That is a good idea, thanks for the suggestion. I normally use gasket adhesive.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/3m-1300-5oz.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA1afSBRD2ARIsAEvBsNkFQ1BUt7oZ8kD1gYPMt-Gk1_PRxenOvdDgCDX6qGNjZZAIZQIOITEaAlzoEALw_wcB

Also, RTV can actually cause leaks sometimes, which is the reason I try and preach proper gasket installation.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…