Menu

Video Suggestion

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG Suggestion Box Video Suggestion

• Creator
    Topic
    StevenSteven
    Participant

Howdy Eric!

This topic may seem superficial, however I wondered what you’re thoughts would be in making a short video about using Sawzalls. I’ve been cutting a bunch of exhaust tubing recently for my ’02 ram 1500 using my beloved Skil reciprocating saw. I’ve used this tool a bunch of times already, and for the life of me I cannot get a straight cut, no matter how much I try. The tube always has an uneven slant, almost looking like the end of a turn-down or something. How in the heck can I get a perfectly straight cut with this tool?

Thanks for reading!

-Steve

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

Funny you should ask. I just shot a video last week using a sawzall to cut some exhaust. As for tips on using one, I’d have to see if I could work that in somewhere. I don’t think a video like that could stand on it’s own. I think it would be better to work it into an existing video.

Thanks for the suggestion.

StevenSteven
        Participant

I will have to look for that video to see how you use that tool! And that’s okay, my suggestion was really more of a request, no worries. Much appreciated as always!

-Steve

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

I still have to edit the video. Once I’m done with that, it may air sometime in June or early July depending how the schedule goes.

JoeJoe
            Participant

Seems like the best thing to do is make a guide of sorts. I imagine taking a piece of sheet metal, bending it into a “U” shape to fit around the exhaust and then have a straight cut down the center of the sheet metal to help guide the reciprocating saw blade and keep it straight.

John HugonJohn Hugon
              Participant

Under the truck…you can taped the pipe at the cut line with blue painter’s tape to mark it for a straight perpendicular cut or my favorite…. hose clamp on the exhaust for a guide and cut with a 6″ bi-metal blade. Off the truck …chop saw.

StevenSteven
                Participant

Oh I see. So basically use a metal guide wrapped around the pipe, so that when the flimsy blade wants to divert, the guide will keep it from doing so, and basically just cut against the guide. That sounds pretty clever actually! Every time I’ve used the tool I’ve just been free-handing the cut and used a super firm grip with my hands to get it straight. Never works though haha! Thanks for those ideas guys! I will certainly try that next time!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…