Menu

Violent shimmy

• Creator
    Topic
    Shaun_300Shaun_300
    Participant

Just finished my truck up yesterday, it’s a 2000 Silverado 2wd with a LS6

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

Your wheels may need to be balanced. try rotating them. do you have over sized wheels?C8-)

Shaun_300Shaun_300
        Participant

I don’t think it’s the wheels, it’ll be fine then all of a sudden start shaking like crazy. It’s gotta be something in the power steering. Drives me nuts, don’t feel comfortable driving over 60mph.

bk7794bk7794
          Participant

Have you checked if any of the suspension parts are broke? Like the tie rod ends, what about the trackbar if it has one. It sounds similar to the death wobble in a jeep.

outdoorsman310outdoorsman310
            Participant

watch this it may or may not apply to you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVJx8buTE8I

dreamer2355dreamer2355
              Participant

Is the truck the stock ride height?

Also if your truck has one, take alook at the steering stabilizer shock as there a known issue on the Jeeps causing those exact symptoms. You can test those easily just by unbolting them and see how difficult it is to compress the shock.

Good luck and keep us posed. Oh, pics would be full of WIN too so we can admire your work C8-)

Shaun_300Shaun_300
                Participant

Thanks for the advice guys, talked with some other techs at work and I think it’s either a bad tire or a u-joint. One of them felt tight but I was just so anxious to get it on the road I didn’t change it. I’m going to do that maybe tomorrow. Also have nice wheels for the summer so I’ll bolt those on and try it as well.

This has been a project for the past couple years. Finally finished it up! It’s a fast little truck now! Blast to drive, here’s a few pics, none are recent.
                  Yanking the 4.3 out

LS6 rebuild in progress, did this during the winter, temps between -10 and -30 the whole time

New power plant bolted in

Love this pic of the truck

Video of one of the first starts
                  [url=http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a157/shaun_300/?action=view&current=LS6vid.mp4:264mss0k]

Estimated horsepower around 450-475 at the crank, should be over 500 once I get the right heads on it. Put lower compression heads on it since I had bought a turbo kit for it, not going that route now though. I’ll get some updated pics of under the hood and a new video of it running.

MattMatt
                  Participant

If it’s a u-joint on a 2wd, I wouldn’t think you would feel it in the steering wheel. I would do a good overall inspection of your front end. Pull the wheels, check for play, make sure everything is clean and tight. Here’s a general video on suspension inspection. Check the tie rods for play, and the pitman and idler arm, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scFbb43fwqk

Good luck man. I love the truck, even though I’m a Ford guy. I also love that torque wrench you have, ‘cuz I got the same one 🙂

college mancollege man

maybe something was left loose with all the work done?C8-)

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                      Keymaster

It does sound similar to the “death wobble” in a Jeep. You might check the suspension components for anything that’s loose and also if you have a steering damper check that for leaks. Just for the heck of it check the tire balance and also the U joints for anything that’s loose.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…