Menu

Volvo Fuel Smell In Cabin Area

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Repair Central-The ‘How To’ Forum Volvo Fuel Smell In Cabin Area

• Creator
    Topic
    TexasCoderTexasCoder
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I wanted to post this on Eric’s site so that others could search for it and find the solution. This happened on my 2004 XC90 with 147,000 miles on it.

Issue:
      When your Volvo (most commonly effected models: S70/S80/XC70/XC90 during production years of 2001 – 2006) sits for a couple of minutes (with the engine off) you will notice a strong fuel smell, so much so that you begin to think there is a gas leak. So much so, that with proper ignition source, this could cause a fire/explosion.

Cause:
      Faulty flange gasket on top of fuel pump. The fuel pump is located and accessed under the rear passenger seat. The flange gasket and even the upper portion of the pump fail and crack allowing liquid fuel and fumes to leak out.

Resolution:
      Contact Volvo at: 1-800-458-1552 and verify your model is covered under the safety recall issued in December 2009. If it is covered, your local Volvo dealership will inspect and replace the faulty part free of charge.

In my case, I was covered, but before calling them I was prepared to replace my fuel pump with the updated model from Volvo. This would have cost me over 400.00 dollars, but I lucked out. It seems during the process of manufacturing the materials used to build the pumps were not assembled correctly.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant

Thanks for the great post. Its threads like these that make this forum awesome C8-)

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

Now THIS is what this forum is all about. Thanks TexasCoder!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…